D-seals Creeping

Wanderlust

We have onwed our Landmark Newport since 2017. We recently got out of storage after 3 years and have replaced all of the d-seals on the top of the slides (as well as lots of other maintance, preventative or otherwise). We are now making our way across country and are pulling the rig every 2-5 days. Since March, we find our top d-seals (top bulb seal) creep out from behind the slide... Like 5 feet of it...or more. We have done everything we can think of. We have put better screws and larger washers in the end of the seal, we have lubricated the seals. The last time we lubricated them, we used a silcone spray and that seemed to work...for a bit.. Today when we arrived at our desitination in SC, the large slide d-seal seal is crept out again about 4 feet and the other two slide seals are just starting to buldge..

Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions? We have Youtube'd, searched and spoke with an RV maintance manager and we are just at a loss.

Thanks in adance for the advise.

Ken and Sherry

taskswap

Can you share a few pictures of what's happening, both outside where the D seal is creeping out, and inside where it's detaching?

Wanderlust

Can you share a few pictures of what's happening, both outside where the D seal is creeping out, and inside where it's detaching?
1657406001609.jpeg
Thank you for the response. Here is a picture of what it looks like once we stop. It always creeps forward (toward the truck). I do not have a picture of the attachment point, (i would get one but it is storming outside right now), however it is ripping out of the screw head and washer on the aft end of the RV.

wdk450

I used screws and flat mending plates on the ends of my D seals to keep them from sliding down the rail.
Plate is positioned horizontally inside the D bulb, where the original screw was, adding a 2nd screw. You can run the screws through the D bulb to the D seal base strip.

mending plate.jpg

Wanderlust

I used screws and flat mending plates on the ends of my D seals to keep them from sliding down the rail.
Plate is positioned horizontally inside the D bulb, where the original screw was, adding a 2nd screw. You can run the screws through the D bulb to the D seal base strip.

View attachment 67348
Thank you for the input. We have a new seal that will be here on Monday and will certainly try this.

Bobby A

Where are you ordering your D seals from ?? The last time I ordered them they came in a 50 foot roll I believe, and used it to replace several areas. Its been years ago and I forgot where I ordered from. Thank you

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I used a large flat headed screw about 1" in on each end. just lightly hand tight to not smash the screw through the seal. haven't had any issues since.

pictuer of screw coming soon.

Attachments

• 20220710_145730.jpg
    20220710_145730.jpg
    955.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Wanderlust

Where are you ordering your D seals from ?? The last time I ordered them they came in a 50 foot roll I believe, and used it to replace several areas. Its been years ago and I forgot where I ordered from. Thank you
Hi Bobby, We ordered them off of Amazon. should be able to just look up D-seals for RV ad you can find the size you need.

Wanderlust

I used a large flat headed screw about 1" in on each end. just lightly hand tight to not smash the screw through the seal. haven't had any issues since.

pictuer of screw coming soon.
Thanks for the response, we have used a similar set up and then eventually used a bigger washer on the end. Still having the problems...We are going to try the Plate that Bill recommended. We have also reached out to heartland.. They were not much help.

Regards,

wdk450

I think that the mending plate has enough footprint area that it doesn't pull through the seal base rubber as OEM screws (and even screws with washers added to them) seem to do.

Bobby A

Wanderlust,
Thanks for that info, mine is the old track style that slides right in and I believe its incorporated in the sweep.

Prace

View attachment 67347
Thank you for the response. Here is a picture of what it looks like once we stop. It always creeps forward (toward the truck). I do not have a picture of the attachment point, (i would get one but it is storming outside right now), however it is ripping out of the screw head and washer on the aft end of the RV.
Yes I have the same problem with only the living room slide which is 3’ wide. No problem with any other slides. We have 2016 Landmark Orlando 365. The seal is new I also plated with screws and it pulled it out. Because the seal is moving forward,always I believe the slide is moving in its hole while stopping and causing this. We are moving on 11/12/2023 and I am going to investigate possible using ratchet straps inside to keep it from moving. Stay tuned!!

oldelmer1

I had the same problem until I put screws in each end and it hasn't come out yet. My vertical seals have caulk in the side so they are caulked to the camper. Maybe try that on the ends.

Piperflyer

While we're on the seal subject, can you tell me the easiest way to get the new D seals started and back on the track that holds them. I have a couple that need replacing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on the style of seal most D seals just slide into a track. The old seals should have a screw in each end that will have to be removed. Slide the old seal out and slide the new one in. Screw in each end, bada bing, done.

Peace
Dave