Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FIXED: Smoking Fireplace (dust and burned out bulb)

1. Print this Post   #1

FIXED: Smoking Fireplace (dust and burned out bulb)

We have a 4 year old Dimplex electric fireplace that started smoking shortly after start up this morning.Filled RV with smoke and the origin appeared to be at the right inside base of unit.Turned off unit and cut power supply.We never leave fireplace on when unattended or at night while sleeping
    and was a good thing.

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Smoking Fireplace

Have you cleaned the flue?
    Looks like you will need to pull the fireplace and see where the problem is.
    I think that a call to Dimplex will get you the parts you need.

Peace
    Dave
    Dave and Mary
    and C. J.
    2011 Bighorn 3585RL

2013 RAM 3500, CC, DRW, Aisin
    Heartland Owners Club
    Member #1026

Owners Club Membership is now free! Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

3. Print this Post   #3

Wow, a smoking fireplace! That is a little too realistic. Mine makes more noise that it did when new. Did yours get noisy?
    Don and Joyce
    2012 Big Country 3450TS - SOLD
    2011 F350 Dually Diesel
    Twin Honda 2000's
    [B]2012 Missouri Rally, Hannibal
    2013 National Rally, Goshen - Iowa Rally, Amana
    2014 Arkansas Rally, Mountain View - Central Regional Rally, Amana, IA
    2015 North Texas Rally, Santo - National Rally, Goshen - Missouri Rally, Carthage
    2017 Oklahoma Rally, Vinata, Arkansas Rally, Mountain View, Missouri Rally, Branson
    2018 Oklahoma Eufala, South Central Regional Rally Branson, MO, Mississippi rally, Belden
    2019 Louisiana Rally, Natchitoches,
    [/B

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
    We have a 4 year old Dimplex electric fireplace that started smoking shortly after start up this morning.Filled RV with smoke and the origin appeared to be at the right inside base of unit.Turned off unit and cut power supply.We never leave fireplace on when unattended or at night while sleeping
    and was a good thing.
    We often sleep with it on, but I'm going to think twice about that now.

Scott

5. Print this Post   #5

When you take it apart to repair, or replace, please circle back around to let us know if it was a component on the electronics board that fried, or if the smoke was caused by the heating element, or if the blower failed, leading to smoke followed by an overtemp shutdown.

Dan and Ann Mayer & fur baby Callie the Rally Dog
    2011 Landmark Rushmore
    • MorRyde 8K Independent Suspension
    • 8K Kodiak Disc Brakes
    • RV Comfort Systems Cheap Heat
    • MorRyde 33x90 Sliding Cargo Tray
    • Torklift Glowstep Revolution Aluminum Steps & Dirt Destroyer

2014 RAM 3500 Laramie
    • Cummins 6.7 Diesel, AISIN Transmission
    • 4x4, Long box, Crew Cab, DRW 3.73
    • Hensley BD3 TrailerSaver Hitch
    • Garmin RV760 GPS

Is club membership right for you? Click here to learn more

Check out our Owner-written User Guides and Troubleshooting Guides

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by dbbls59 View Post
    Wow, a smoking fireplace! That is a little too realistic. Mine makes more noise that it did when new. Did yours get noisy?
    No noise at all.

7. Print this Post   #7

Quote Originally Posted by danemayer View Post
    When you take it apart to repair, or replace, please circle back around to let us know if it was a component on the electronics board that fried, or if the smoke was caused by the heating element, or if the blower failed, leading to smoke followed by an overtemp shutdown.
    Will do.Taking to the Dimplex dealer later this week.I will not be attempting any repairs!

8. Print this Post   #8

Had our fireplace serviced at an authorized Dimplex repair company.The only problem was a burned out bulb and some dust on the inside of unit.
    They were unsure why the unit smoked.After 5 days and $28 our fireplace is now working fine and we have peace of mind.

9. Print this Post   #9

Quote Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
    Had our fireplace serviced at an authorized Dimplex repair company.The only problem was a burned out bulb and some dust on the inside of unit.
    They were unsure why the unit smoked.After 5 days and $28 our fireplace is now working fine and we have peace of mind.
    That's a small price to pay for repair/peace of mind. Glad it all worked out, ours is 5 models years old and still going strong (knock on wood). When we do turn it on after a long absence I can smell that dust smell for a minute or so and then it goes away.

10. Print this Post   #10

I just finished completely going through my Dimplex fireplace. I had an existing problem with the dimmer control potentiometer shaft being broken, but what finally happened was that the last of the 4 bulbs burned out. Here is how you take it out/apart: (Before starting unplug the fireplace from it's outlet and/or turn off the circuit breaker)
    1. Remove the 4 wood plugs on the trim panel, and remove the screws (a square bit driver is best). Remove the trim panel.
    2. Remove the front glass retainer screw at the top middle of the glass, then tip the glass pane forward and lift up to remove.
    3. There are 2 mounting screws on each side behind where the glass panel normally sits. Remove these 4 screws.
    4. The entire fireplace should now pull forward out of the fireplace wood enclosure.
    5. The "Fake wood" firelogs should lift and pull out easily
    5. There are 6 60 watt mini base "candelabra" light bulbs in the fireplace - 2 on the upper side of the fireplace (the dimmable ones) and 4 on the bottom below where the fake wood sits. The bottom 4 lamps provide the illumination for the jumping fire licks effect caused by the motorized wheel assembly in the back. I replaced all 6 bulbs although some were still good based on the idea that lamps are rated on hours of use, and the other ones are likely to fail soon.
    Besides, they were $2.99 for a 4 pack!
    6. The heater and circuit boards for the dimming and effects motor speed are at the top of the unit behind the control knobs. You can access this area and get good access to vacuum the unit out by removing the 6 small black screws around the top panel. Note: I would think that anything that "smoked" would be in this area, most likely some debris getting sucked into the heater and fan).
    Additional note: I went to the local Radio Shack and got a 1 Megohm potentiometer to replace the broken one in the fireplace. I had to hacksaw the shaft down to the correct length and file the end of the shaft into a "D" shape to connect with the existing knob. I then mounted it in the hole and soldered the wires to it.

I cleaned, vacuumed, and re-assembled the fireplace, and now it is good as new (after 6 years)!!
    Bill Knight KJ6TBE
    Retired 40 Year Hospital Biomedical Electronics Technician
    Former State Chairman (2000) California Medical Instrumentation Association (CMIA)
    2008 Bighorn 3670RL
    My Bighorn Upgrades
    See:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

2004 Dodge RAM 3500 Cummins 5.9
    B-D Exhaust Brake
    Ride Rite Air Bags
    Valvoline 15-40 High Mileage Diesel Oil
    XDP Diesel Power Plus Fuel Additive

At a Thousand Trails in Southern California

21 Heartland Rallies I Have Attended
    See: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_PRxlhCp1l7IXgiVIBJmCtX3viJ9NaykR8_b81W9CVU/edit?usp=sharing

Thousand Trails Elite Membership

Support this Forum! Join the Heartland Owners Club at the "Owners Club" Tab at the top of this Page!!!
    Remember The USS Liberty . . . Read: http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/margolis12.html
    "The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast