Looking at two different Bunk-house models

abc40kids

I currently own a 2006 Forest River 362BHSLE ( 40 foot bunkhouse ) I'm looking at the Gateway 3650BH and the Silverado 38QBS (both 2015's) These both have pretty much everything I'm looking for except the 6 point leveling which I guess I can live without. I've owned only Keystone and Forest River products but have always heard good things about Heartland.

What's your thoughts on these two fifth wheels, they both seem to be priced pretty good. Thank, Jeff

jimtoo

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Heartland has the reputation of standing behind their customers and helping when they can. None of the units from any manufacture are perfect, but Heartland is among the best as I see them. You will hear the good and bad here from our other owners.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you at a rally.

Jim M

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Check out the 2015 Elkridge Ultimate. Awesome bunkhouse!! Love it. 42' of fun. They now have out the Elkridge Resort for 2015. 2 full baths compared to the bath and a half.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We had looked at the Gateway bunkhouse also. Very nice. Similar layout to the Elkridge. The entertainment area in the main living area is what we were concerned with. The Gateways television is located up above the kitchen cabinets and the Elkridge is along the wall in an entertainment center. That was a game changer for the wife. She didn't want to look up to watch tv. Other than that, both units are awesome.
Gateway:
http://www.heartlandrvs.com/media/resource/GW/2013/interiors/2013_gw_3650bh_11.jpg

Elkridge
http://www.heartlandrvs.com/media/resource/ER/2014/interiors/2014f_er_37_ultimate11.jpg

Gateway and Elkridge have electric front landing gear and the silverado has hydraulic. Level Up is used for the Silverado and the Ground Control leveling system can be used for the Gateway/Elkridge.

Good luck on your search.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You could add the LevelUp afterwards. I have seen a dealer, United RV in Texas, offer installs at good prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yo2001

We recently purchased 2014 Elkridge 37 ultimate. We did also looked Silverado and we found only difference were couple TV's and layout. We like the outside kitchen with a microwave, more kitchen cabinets, saloon style couch (very comfy way to watch a TV) and king size bed on our Elkridge better but came down to who and which gave us the better price and financing. Looks like 2015 silverado did get a bigger shower with a seat rather than a corner shower which would have been a plus for us.

Tows and stops great for its size but over some bumpy road, it buckles the tow vehicle pretty good. (I'm towing the trailer with a crewcab dually so very long with a 42 ft trailer behind me) I guess an air bagged hitch would help. It's hard to back in and maneuver in tight spots for sure. (again, if my TV was shorter, it'll be better)

Medic403

Hi Jeff, we have the Gateway 3650bh and love it. We picked it up in January of this year and have probably been camping 10 times since then. No one has complained about looking up at the TV and I don't have any problems with it. When you recline back in those comfy recliners you are looking up anyway so it is kinda nice. We bought this model because my wife liked the sitting area and felt more like home instead of everyone sitting in a line on the couch and at the table. It is a very nice camper and it turns heads wherever you go. I did have the rear AC go out but warrenty took care of it. Other than that it has been a great camper. Good luck and make sure you get what you want. Oh, self leveling would be nice and that is the only thing this camper didn't have that I wanted. Of course my wife said that was no big deal!