Considering Bighorn 3160EL

dbuster

This would be our second fifth-wheel purchase and would be our fourth or fifth travel trailer purchase (depending on how you want to count the pop-up camper we once owned).

Does anyone have any cautions about the 3160 model in particular or about Bighorn trailers in general?

How is the build quality? Anything that's chronically weak or troublesome? How is the factory in terms of responding to problems and concerns?

We have a 2011 Crossroads Cruiser we bought new, and we have experienced very few problems with it. Can I look forward to a similar experience with a Bighorn?

Thanks for your help.

danemayer

Hi dbuster,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You'll find a great group of people here who are enjoying their RVs and each other's company at rallies. Let me caution you that if you spend some time in a Bighorn, you may not want to go home. :eek:

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
We loved our '09 Bighorn so much that we just purchased a '15 and love it even more. Heartland treated us great and worked with our dealer to get it to us in time for the Tn chapter rally this past May. It has been another great product for us and we look toward many years of enjoying it!

shovelguy

We have owned our BigHOrn 3055 since late 2007, lived in it fulltime for the past three years and love it and the Heartland community. We have had small issues that were all addressed by my handy DH, successfully. Certainly nothing to cause us to regret our decision. We are currently thinking about getting a newer model and wouldn't look at anything that wasn't an original Heartland product. D&J

chckan50

We have a 2015 3160 EL and have been able to spend over 30 days traveling since we took delivery in late April. We have not had a single issue with it. We absolutely love our new fifth wheel.

We previously owned a Bighorn 3670 and our experience with it was the same. Changed trailers due to size and configuration. The 3160EL just worked better for us. It is shorter and we just love the theatre seating arrangement.

I know there are many fifth wheels to choose from but the Bighorn has served us well.

SeattleLion

We have a 2014 3160 EL that we picked up in March.We love it and love the layout. We have been out four weekends so far and it has towed like a dream and really fits our lifestyle. We traded a 2014 Kodiak 27ft travel trailer. There is no comparison. The BH is just like having a luxury vacation house on wheels.

HooDad

Glad you love the unit. We are picking ours up in a couple of weeks. Do you have the residential refrigerator? If so, have you camped without shore power? And if so, any comments, suggestions?

JanAndBill

We have the 3260EL which is basically the same except the kitchen is on the door side. While we still love the trailer, in retrospect we probably would have chosen the 3160 layout had it been available at the time, because of the increased outside visibility it gives on the door side.

RVFun4Us

Jan and Bill,

Noticed your posting here. We are looking at the 3160, 3260 and now the new 3270 that is in production. One difference we noticed between the 3160 and the 3260 was the long exit window in the 3260, actually large enough to be able to exit if needed. The 3160 does not have that but a window above the dresser as you know. Both coaches have great windows in them and I see your point about having them on the doorside for visibility purposes. One other difference as I remember is that the 3260 has a retractable TV in the living area whereas the 3160 has their TV on a swivel bracket. I think the swivel bracket would give you more options on best viewing from either the sofa or recliners. What do you think about the above info.

SeattleLion

Jan and Bill,

Noticed your posting here. We are looking at the 3160, 3260 and now the new 3270 that is in production. One difference we noticed between the 3160 and the 3260 was the long exit window in the 3260, actually large enough to be able to exit if needed. The 3160 does not have that but a window above the dresser as you know. Both coaches have great windows in them and I see your point about having them on the doorside for visibility purposes. One other difference as I remember is that the 3260 has a retractable TV in the living area whereas the 3160 has their TV on a swivel bracket. I think the swivel bracket would give you more options on best viewing from either the sofa or recliners. What do you think about the above info.

You pretty well listed why we picked the 3160. I like the TV in its niche. We couldn't be happier.

RVFun4Us

SeattleLion: What about the bedroom exit window - what do you think of the long window next to the dresser in the 3260 versus the window above the dresser in the 3160?

SeattleLion

SeattleLion: What about the bedroom exit window - what do you think of the long window next to the dresser in the 3260 versus the window above the dresser in the 3160?

I don't mind the window over the dresser. It isn't all that high and actually gives you something to sit on if you have to jump out. It also satisfies my love of symmetry :)

JanAndBill

Actually if you have pets, the window in the 3260 is a little dangerous. I was standing outside one day, talking to a neighbor when I saw the whole window "come out" a little. Our Britt had stood up on the window and released one of the lever style window releases. Had I not been there to catch it, we might have had an "Oh ^&%$" moment. Now we keep a gate in front of the window so they can't get up on it.