Prospective Owners 3160EL

CoveredWagon

Yep.... Same here. The Rudy Red color was the killer here in Oregon. Two available in diesel.... One in Texas... One in Michigan. Crazy!

Ya think no matter what manufacturer it is with all the stuff sitting around a special order would jump to the head of the line and be built asap. I just received this afternoon that ours has a build date of May 1st. Wonderful our Rv was delivered to the dealer February 16th.

BusManRG

We love our 3160 EL. The floorplan fits us perfectly!! And don't worry about the bathroom door swing until your unit actually arrives, LOL. We ordered ours based on the diagram we saw, even though every model we saw in person had the door flipped he opposite direction. We specifically requested our door swing to be hung a certain direction but when the unit came of course it was not. Dealer did a quick flip, no big deal . Couple little hick ups which are to be expected, still working out a few bugs, but the unit itself is great and the floorplan is perfect. We also travel with a Shih Tzu but find the queen bed is just fine for us. We don't mind the smaller bed and having a little extra space in other places. We are not full timers and at this point we probably will only be out at most two weeks at a time. But every time were in it, I remind my husband that we could easily full-time in this unit. I know when you look at slightly bigger units it's easy to keep admiring how much more space you get for an extra foot. But pretty soon we found ourselves stopping and realizing that we grew way past where we wanted to be in length. The 3160 fits us perfectly and is still a reasonable length for us.

Sandy

CoChris

My wife and I are thinking of getting a 5r in a year or so and the Big Horn 3160EL is on our short list (list of 2 :)). Can anyone provide real world, ready to camp pin weights (not dry weights or as delivered)?

Ideally I would like to see
both Kingpin and either trailer axles or gross (total) trailer weight as you would tow. It would be helpful to know how much (if any) water you are carrying and any significant weight options (gen set, extra or 6V batteries, washer/dryer, or??).

I would also be interested in the pin and total or axle wights for a 3270RS. Again, loaded, ready to go.

Thank you for all of the help and information.

BusManRG

My wife and I are thinking of getting a 5r in a year or so and the Big Horn 3160EL is on our short list (list of 2 :)). Can anyone provide real world, ready to camp pin weights (not dry weights or as delivered)?

Ideally I would like to see
both Kingpin and either trailer axles or gross (total) trailer weight as you would tow. It would be helpful to know how much (if any) water you are carrying and any significant weight options (gen set, extra or 6V batteries, washer/dryer, or??).

I would also be interested in the pin and total or axle wights for a 3270RS. Again, loaded, ready to go.

Thank you for all of the help and information.

We have those in the truck and will try to post tonight or tomorrow. We first weighed the truck with a full tank of diesel, then went home and hooked up. We think the weights are pretty accurate. Minimal water in the tanks as that is how we try and travel and we have an Onan gen factory installed in our BH3160EL.

Sandy

CoChris

We have those in the truck and will try to post tonight or tomorrow. We first weighed the truck with a full tank of diesel, then went home and hooked up. We think the weights are pretty accurate. Minimal water in the tanks as that is how we try and travel and we have an Onan gen factory installed in our BH3160EL.

Sandy

Hello Sandy. That would be great information. I look forward to seeing the numbers, and your description of how the trailer is configured/load is prefect. Thank you for your help.

BusManRG

Hello Sandy. That would be great information. I look forward to seeing the numbers, and your description of how the trailer is configured/load is prefect. Thank you for your help.
The trailer axle weight was 11520 (6000/5520) plus a pin weight of 2780 for a total loaded trailer weight of 14300 lbs.

Hope this helps!
Sandy

DickO

Got our 3160 in February. We have been out 3 times with it for a total of 5 weeks. We had a 2010 BH 3055. So far we love the layout. We have 3 things to be fixed. The power reel quite the 3rd use the motor runs but will not retract the cord. The frig will not run on propane when the slide is in. There are several stress cracks in the shower. Get a long nozzle and clean the ac vents of saw dust. Had the same problem with our 3055.

Az_Ernie

Got our 3160 in February. We have been out 3 times with it for a total of 5 weeks. We had a 2010 BH 3055. So far we love the layout. We have 3 things to be fixed. The power reel quite the 3rd use the motor runs but will not retract the cord. The frig will not run on propane when the slide is in. There are several stress cracks in the shower. Get a long nozzle and clean the ac vents of saw dust. Had the same problem with our 3055.
On our 2015 3160EL, the stove would not light when the slide was in. We found that the flexible propane hose that supplies the stove/oven was pinched close when the slide was retracted. The stove/oven worked perfectly when the slide was extended. We also found that the propane hose where it was pinched, had a crack that would have eventually developed a leak with a few more extensions and retractions. We replaced and rerouted our defective propane hose. Terry Hayes from Heartland's tech support, even though we were out of warranty, is sending us a check for the cost of the replacement hose. Might be worth a check.

Last edited:

KrazyKampers

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-Retired
We've had our 3160el for over a year now and we love it! We've had some minor issues that were corrected but you may want to check. We had the same issue with the propane line under the kitchen slide. It was mentioned somewhere on the forum and we checked it ourselves after we had the rig for two months. Sure enough ours was pinched. Dale fixed it right away. We also had a hydraulic leak that turned out to be a bad o'ring. Simple .50 fix! Our biggest issue was the black tank was not properly secured and slipped out while we were on vacation. Luckily, it did not fall completely out. Our dealer fixed it under warranty. Overall, we like the 3160. It's almost the same as the 3270 with minor exceptions- placement of the w/d, king bed vs queen, shower is smaller in the 3270 and the 3160 has the super slide with the larger windows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BusManRG

I swear I should change my husbands screen name to "AlwaysLearning", especially since he's never the one online and I'm always learning! Going to try and use the stove top this weekend with the slide partially out. We've had our 3160 since August and ever thought about it before, but if there is a pinched line, it's only going to get worse! Since the stove and oven are basically inaccessible with the slide in, it wasn't on the radar!!

Sandy

KrazyKampers

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-Retired
I swear I should change my husbands screen name to "AlwaysLearning", especially since he's never the one online and I'm always learning! Going to try and use the stove top this weekend with the slide partially out. We've had our 3160 since August and ever thought about it before, but if there is a pinched line, it's only going to get worse! Since the stove and oven are basically inaccessible with the slide in, it wasn't on the radar!!

Sandy

Hi Sandy. My husband had to crawl under the rig to inspect the line. Dales' pretty thorough in taking care of our "baby"! He found the line getting caught on something when the slide goes out. If I remember correctly, he purchased some extra hose and fittings and rerouted the gas line to keep it from getting caught under the slide.

Karen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kab449

We have our 3160EL since October 2016. It is a 2017. It is a great floorplan that balances maneuverability with functionality. Our 2017 F250 Diesel pulls it with no problem. The shower is the largest and easiest to get around in of any we have had. The queen bed is not a problem and has enough of room aside to make the bed. The theatre seats directly across from the TV allows for great viewing. The 22 CU FT residential refrigerator is impossible to fill. The mega slide on the door side along with the many windows gives a great view of the outside. Makes you feel like your are out there. The location of the combo washer/dryer is great. No doing the dance in the bedroom to load and unload it. The closet also provides more counter top surface after I modified it for great functionality.
Its a great floorplan, good luck on your choice.

Attachments

• washer.jpg
    washer.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 39