Should we upgrade

billhealy

We have owned 3 Bighorn 5th wheels and have enjoyed many days and miles camping (4+ months a year). The latest is a 2014 Bighorn 3685RL. We are considering upgrading to a 2018 or later model but have been told that the models after 2016 are problem units. Our other alternative is to spruce up the rig we have and keep going. We would appreciate any comments from other owners. Should someone wish to comments but not post on the forum, please send any comments to our email (b2healys@gmail.com). Your comments will not be shared with others.

Bill & Bev Healy
Cookeville, TN

MTPockets

Gosh, the thrill of a new rig is always exhilarating! In the end, it boils down to personal preference. If you want it, you’ll always find reasons to rationalize your decision. Our last rig was used full time for five years; that’s 60 months, and pretty much trouble free. If you use yours only four of five months a year, compared to ours, that’s equal to 12 to 15 years; just one way to compare. But, if you want it, get it....

billhealy

Gosh, the thrill of a new rig is always exhilarating! In the end, it boils down to personal preference. If you want it, you’ll always find reasons to rationalize your decision. Our last rig was used full time for five years; that’s 60 months, and pretty much trouble free. If you use yours only four of five months a year, compared to ours, that’s equal to 12 to 15 years; just one way to compare. But, if you want it, get it....

Thanks for the input. We do not have a problem with the current rig (except need a new W/D). Our real concern is that in moving up a few years the newer rigs have more problems. Happy Camping.

MTPockets

Thanks for the input. We do not have a problem with the current rig (except need a new W/D). Our real concern is that in moving up a few years the newer rigs have more problems. Happy Camping.
I’m not sure new rigs have more problems, but people tend to post about problems often, while those without issues don’t say much.

Bobby A

Well, I understand what your dilemma is, I am in the same boat, we have a 2010 Bighorn and we still love it, we have full timed in it for over 10 years, if something breaks I fix it. I have a great mobile tech when I need him. I'm still thinking that as long as the roof and side walls and floor don't rot and as long as the mobile tech can fix it if I can't, we have come to the conclusion that we will keep it. Yes, new rigs are beautiful but the first year can be very challenging and frustrating especially with the cost of new rigs these days.

Just my humble opinion,
Bobby A

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We purchased ours new in 2016. We’ve had lots of little issues over those 5 years of full-time living. It seemed like a few years later rv sales were booming and manufacturers were having a hard time finding qualified laborers. I seem to recall that in the summer of 2017 Heartland was just unveiling their new PDI/quality control center, to help catch problems before they got in the hands of owners. However, a 2018 unit may have been built before that system was put into practice.

Personally, I would consider these factors before upgrading:
1. Do I have problems that cannot be repaired to extend the life and value of this Rv?
2. Will a new unit fit my RVing lifestyle significantly better than my current unit? (Size, floor plan, features)
3. Am I ready to face potentially more and/or more significant problems with a new RV than what I have already?
4. Could a simple facelift to the aesthetics of my rig make me more apt to enjoy my current rig much longer?

These answers my help guide you in your decision-making process.

Me personally, I would be more apt to update my current rig than get a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Some newer models support 3 air conditioners. Depending on where you go, that might be a great benefit.

BigFry

Obviously this is a person decision based on your preferences and uses for the rig. Our 2017 has had numerous problems and especially our first year tested us. We fulltime so we expected more issues but not as many as we have had. If you have a rig you like and it still has good "bones" you may want to consider waiting a little longer to upgrade. If you want a new floor plan, size, or particular features then that would change things.

centerline

Well, I understand what your dilemma is, I am in the same boat, we have a 2010 Bighorn and we still love it, we have full timed in it for over 10 years, if something breaks I fix it. I have a great mobile tech when I need him. I'm still thinking that as long as the roof and side walls and floor don't rot and as long as the mobile tech can fix it if I can't, we have come to the conclusion that we will keep it. Yes, new rigs are beautiful but the first year can be very challenging and frustrating especially with the cost of new rigs these days.

Just my humble opinion,
Bobby A

Im in agreement with Bobby A....

if there are no problems, keep it... and put the money that you would spend on a new one into a fund for when it is time to replace iit... like anything else mechanical, some of them are lemons, and others are exceptionally dependable for many years...you may have one that will be dependable for many years yet, with reasonable care...

and it will cost a LOT less to do some nice upgrades to what you have, than it will to buy a new one...

Gary521

I do not think the newer models have more problems they just do not have less problems than before.

Mrsfish

We recently went through this same dilemma..even went so far as to go to a dealer (T&S) to purchase a new LM. On the way there i was really stressing and it finally dawned on me it was because i really wasn’t wanting a new rig. Yes - the 10’ more would have been nice when parked, yes - the 3rd AC would be nice and they are definitely quieter, yes - a residential fridge would be the cat’s meow....but at the end of the day i realized that my fully paid for rig was basically trouble free and we maintained it to be that way. There was no magic elixir that was going to guarantee us a new trouble free rig and i didn’t want to roll the dice. 2nd - while the 10’ would have been nice, we are getting older and pulling our rig in and out of traffic and parks isn’t getting easier so why add to that hassle.. So - we made the decision to keep the old girl and give her some upgrades. We are booked into affinity RV repair in goshen at the beginning of June to get new flooring, a residential refrigerator upgrade/mod and a few other goodies. Also ordered new furniture from Lambright.. really excited about our decision. To us we are getting the best of both worlds - and i can live with my decision. Good luck in whatever you decide.

SLO

We have a 2016 3685RL. We absolute love the floor plan and we wouldn’t dream of getting another unit. Good luck on your decision making.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk