grey tanks???

barneyboy

Ok I am confused here we have a 2015 4200 cyclone toy hauler with 2 grey tanks? does the shower and sink water go in separate tanks or the rear bathroom on its on an front bath as well?. Also Black tank in rear bathroom ,where does it go?? hope I explained this correctly...

OEFVET

I just found this out myself camping this weekend. The grey 1 tank is for the front bathroom and if you have a washer/dryer installed in the bedroom closet. The grey 2 tank is for the kitchen and rear bathroom. The dump valves were not marked so I labelled the inside door of the dump valves.

OEFVET

Each bathroom has it's own black tank. If you open the dump valve cover you will see two pull valves. One for the grey and one for the black. Be sure to know which one is which. I had to label mine. Hope this helps.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am confused because a gray water tank is not for the toilet...that is a black water tank. Usually they do not mix i.e. the toilet water goes into the black tank and the shower, sink, washer water goes into a gray tank. If toilet waste/water goes into a tank it is called a black water tank. I know it seems like semantics but it does make a difference.

OEFVET

Whats to be confused about? Each bathroom has a black tank for the toilet. Additionally each bathroom has a grey tank for showers, sinks, and washer. There are a total of 2 grey tanks and 2 black tanks. We have two full bathrooms in the 4200.

DocFather

FYI - the configuration on my 4100 is different. The half bath in the garage has one tank for both the sink and the toilet thus it is labeled and advertised as a black tank.

danemayer

I am confused because a gray water tank is not for the toilet...that is a black water tank. Usually they do not mix i.e. the toilet water goes into the black tank and the shower, sink, washer water goes into a gray tank. If toilet waste/water goes into a tank it is called a black water tank. I know it seems like semantics but it does make a difference.

Sometimes with a half bath, the sink and toilet may empty into the same tank, which is labeled as a black tank. It's probably less common to see that with a full bath because the volume of water used in the shower would require dumping that black tank much more frequently that most would like.

Here's an RVIA diagram illustrating what they call a "typical" layout. Notice the sink and toilet empty into the black tank. If there were a 2nd black tank further forward for a toilet in a full bath, it would be more typical for a 5'er with 1.5 baths.

Attachments

• rvia plumbing diagram.jpg
    rvia plumbing diagram.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 114

barneyboy

I understand that but it seems that when we do not use the back bathroom for anything those tanks are full.. so why are they full in the back when no one is using them is why I'm confused

OEFVET

The kitchen sink goes into the back grey tank. I can't answer why the black tank is filling up if your not using the rear bathroom.

BLHFUN

Correct. 4 valves. 4 tanks. 2 dump valves.

For mine, the FRONT valves are left and right. The right valve towards the garage is the front black. The left valve towards the TV is for the front bathroom sink and shower (grey)

The rear valves are up and down. The top valve is the kitchen sink (grey) and the bottom valve is for the rear bathroom toilet only.

It's confusing, but the front two valves and the top rear valve all dump through the front dump drain. That's Two grey tanks and one black tank. If you never use the rear toilet, then you will never use the rear dump drain.

I always pull the back front valve first (black) and then flush with both grey tanks. All through the front drain dump.

good lord, I'm even confused now....