Dump valves

Bob Vaughn

Today I went and looked at a new 3750FL Big Horn....I was like a little kid in a candy shop....until I looked into the dock and there was only one dump valve handle marked gray 2 the other 2 holes were blocked off......The sales man did not even know where the other two valves were. Towards the rear of the camper aft of the wheels there was a little open compartment with no floor. The sales man got down on his hands and knees and found the other two handles sticking out of the frame. That was a deal breaker for me. I am not going to get on my knees to open the dump valves.......Why not just put electric valves in and put the switches in the dock???

Mburtsvt

I think when I saw my first 3150FL the 2 dump valves were behind a small door on the side of the RV just past the wheels. With the recall update they are now under the RV. Heartland- FIX THIS!

If the easiest option is to install electric valves in the docking station - DO IT!

I’m 64 - I’m no longer getting down on my knees to pull tank valves. Remember- it’s an longer term stay RV - not a weekend toy hauler

olcoon

I read a post about the electric dump valves a long time ago. Seems to me that JB responded with something about them not being reliable, and a lot of issues with them. But a friend had them on an older Cedar Creek & loved them.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had electric dump valves on our Alfa Gold 5er. They went out 5 times. It got so I kept two new ones with me because they were not that reliable. Would rather have manual ones.

teasac69

While I understand the concern for the location of the dump valve handles, I certainly don't want any part of electric ones. Have enough opportunity for failure with the cables and valve spade freezing up. I don't mind the location because it puts a shorter cable on the valve operation and less likely to malfunction. Guess it's always a matter of taste and preference but I think the ergonomics of the valve handle location does not trump the value of having a more reliable dump valve. IMHO

Mburtsvt

While I understand the concern for the location of the dump valve handles, I certainly don't want any part of electric ones. Have enough opportunity for failure with the cables and valve spade freezing up. I don't mind the location because it puts a shorter cable on the valve operation and less likely to malfunction. Guess it's always a matter of taste and preference but I think the ergonomics of the valve handle location does not trump the value of having a more reliable dump valve. IMHO

The end of the day solution is not to put them where a 63 year old man has to get down on his knees to operate them, whether or not they are cable or electric. It seems that for every one who as had a problem - there are just as many that swear by them. My original concern is the relocation of the valve pulls on the BH3750FL during the recall. The feature of having them in a compartment door vs under the RV now is not a “correct” fix.

I’m only personal aware of one person who had a problem with the electric type. They still could dump - he just had to “go under” the RV to pull the blade manually.