It's my turn - Broken Vacuum Breaker on Black Tank Flusher

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
To have that PoC anti-siphon valve fail. Just had to be while flushing in anticipation of hauling the rig home for storage in the morning. Thought I'd let it run for awhile to help clean the tank a bit. Fortunately I saw the water start to drip from the bottom of the door side trim panel. Got the bottom of the steps wet inside, though. Sopped it up and have a fan blowing on it. Of course, the basement was packed, so I had to pull most of it out to get a look behind the walls.

With this floor plan, the stupid thing is stuck up the wall behind the toilet, so I'll have to cut into it to get at the thing and then fabricate a close-out door. I know some have replaced that plastic toy with a brass one. Appreciate a reminder of where you got it.

Garypowell

Re: It's my turn...

John,

I remove mine but I do understand others might not want to. But one suggestion, rather than cutting a hole, is to see if you can see from below/basement where the lines go up and come back down by tracing from the supply side. Cut it off here and then when you reinstall the new one run it up where you want to. There should be other "chase" points you could utilize and simply leave the problem in the wall were it sits. Once it is disconnected it will not bother you simply sitting in the wall.

Or....if you cut the wall you have a place where you can put your framed DD-214!

JohnDar

It's my turn...

Interesting thought, Gary. There is an access port in the shower stall. Re plumbing it there is a possibility. My other thought is to cut the lines, leave it there to rot and splice a Sharkbite valve in the line to the tank. The valve would prevent any back feed so long as I turn the supply on in the UDC before opening it. And I can run the line higher along the floor under the toilet, so it would be a couple of feet above the nozzle in the tank.

The argument for having a water line there is that I use it to recharge the tank after dumping, and there isn't a convenient way to flush the tank, otherwise, besides a bucket brigade.

Then I don't have to hang my DD214 over the crapper. Maybe I could hang a picture of a politician there, though...

Garypowell

I put my valve out in the UDC. Just a hose shut off from Big box store. It then goes through the connector in the UDC and then hooked to what looks like kitchen sink sprayer hose that runs to the black tank flush.

The valve is closed, hook up the supply and charge, then open that last small valve. Once done I close that small valve, then turn off the water supply, then quickly open and close the little hose valve to relieve the pressure in the line.

I also use quick disconnects.

I have done that on 5 rigs with no problems. To be completely honest I had a spare check valve left over when I replaced the winterize valve for the hot water heater. Decided to stick it in the black tank flush on the basement side......

sengli

I completely removed mine. Ours was in the wall behind the shower stall. I have my own manual anti siphon valve now, just inside of the UDC. Its a direct shot from the water spigot in the UDC to the black tank sprayer.

Had that anti siphon valve dump water in the coach, once... had it replaced under warranty. And it did it again. So its a gonner.

Attachments

• blacktank.jpg
    blacktank.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

JohnDar

I completely removed mine. Ours was in the wall behind the shower stall. I have my own manual anti siphon valve now, just inside of the UDC. Its a direct shot from the water spigot in the UDC to the black tank sprayer.

That's pretty much the direction I'm going to take since I already have a brass check valve in the UDC inlet for the flusher. I'll just run the line up along the "ceiling" of the basement to prevent any backwash. Trying to fish it up behind the shower stall would require hiring a person of very small stature to get in there.

wdk450

I put in a Sharkbite check valve in place of the B&B Molders atmospheric breaker valve which the installation instructions for say it may leak water under "normal" conditions ( http://www.bandbmolders.com/files/The_Flusher2_Install_.pdf See bullet point number 6 ). The home improvement stores that stock the Sharkbite line normally have the brass check valve. I crawled into the crawl space to cut holes up into the bathroom subfloor to allow me to pull out the PEX tubing with the atmospheric breaker on top. I also needed a PEX right angle fitting to make everything work.

BTW, did your power converter survive the water deluge??

JohnDar

I moved the converter and suppressor a few years back and mounted them near the top of the stair framing so they would not be in danger of flooding, so they're fine.

Read that link. So much for HL
following the part about mounting in an accessible position. I briefly considered mounting a new valve behind the shower. Besides the gymnastics to get in there, it would be directly over the furnace if it failed. Not a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

Interesting thought, Gary. There is an access port in the shower stall. Re plumbing it there is a possibility. My other thought is to cut the lines, leave it there to rot and splice a Sharkbite valve in the line to the tank. The valve would prevent any back feed so long as I turn the supply on in the UDC before opening it. And I can run the line higher along the floor under the toilet, so it would be a couple of feet above the nozzle in the tank.

The argument for having a water line there is that I use it to recharge the tank after dumping, and there isn't a convenient way to flush the tank, otherwise, besides a bucket brigade.

Then I don't have to hang my DD214 over the crapper. Maybe I could hang a picture of a politician there, though...

The politicians picture goes in the toilet. A strategically placed hole could be the mouth over the flush valve. That would be different, BS in instead of out....

JohnDar

The politicians picture goes in the toilet. A strategically placed hole could be the mouth over the flush valve. That would be different, BS in instead of out....

BWAAHAAHAA! I love it. That would allow direct feedback of my opinion on programs and policies.

wdk450

I seemed to remember on a previous thread on this subject somebody came up with a BRASS atmospheric breaker valve. A little internet research and I found this valve by Cash Acme Co. I found this posting on another RVing forum: "was at my dealer today getting some camping stuff in the parts department. Asked to see the vacuum break valves for black tank flush. he showed me the one used by keystone and many other mfg. and a all metal one. Said we have a stock of the metal ones. When someone complains about problems, leaks, break in the plastic one the service dept replaces it with the metal one.". That is where I found the Cash Acme part number. Here it is on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/Cash-Acme-17383-0000-Anti-Siphon-Breaker/dp/B000MNLNF6 Note that the brass costs $10.35 here, and the B&B Molders Plastic valve (labelled JR Products ) is at the top of the page for $61.02 . The brass one may need a couple of adapter fittings, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

fritzwell

I'm fighting this same problem, tried cleaning the black tank this morning and had water water running from the underside of rv. Went directly to this site and started reading. My flush lines go from the UDC (Red) up behind the ref back out (Blue) the same hole to the flex line and to the black tank. I don't see any way to get to the vac check valve without removing the ref, ain't going there. So I'll be leaving it there to rot and redesigning it myself. I'm attempting to add two attachments , if your interested in having a good laugh read the one Black Tank Flusher. Is there anyone on the site that has contact with the factory management ? Could save some of us some grief.

FW

Bones

One they put these stupid things in inaccessible places. Two I think they are reading the instructions wrong because the way I read it it only needs to be 6 inches above the inlet and outlet of the sprayer system not the freaking regular appliances in the coach.

avvidclif

I read it as 6" above the flood line of appliance. Ergo 6" above the top of the toilet.

???????

JohnDar

Regardless of where they put the stupid thing, it should be REQUIRED by RVIA code that they install an access port/panel for it.

fritzwell

I agree, toilet being the only thing I know of being connected. But why in the heck do they bury the **** vac valves ? Now I have water in the furnace, behind the refrigerator and most likely other places.

fritzwell

Paulie,

Yeah, mine was in a dead area corner in the water heater compartment. Replaced it with a brass vac breaker that had a vent cover, the original was an open top that was full of sawdust. But, it was 6" above the flood rim of the toilet so that was within spec. Cut the pexpipe, added sharkbite fittings to new one and sealed it back in place. All's good for now, I hope !

Fritz