Materials other than wood for jack pads

Bones

I just read that - you are correct. I was responding to the question of "Can they be easily removed...".
Cool. I just want to stray slightly off topic. I found some stuff I might be able to make blocks out of. I am going to make them from stall mats for horse's. I'll keep you guys posted if they work.

jbeletti

Cool. I just want to stray slightly off topic. I found some stuff I might be able to make blocks out of. I am going to make them from stall mats for horse's. I'll keep you guys posted if they work.

Cool - create a new thread for your project in this sub-forum.

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

I found some with two different thickness, one about a 1/4" (made 6 pads for concrete slabs) and the other was about 1/2". The thickest one came in a 4' x 6' sheet that I was going to cut in 12" x 12" to use for blocking. However, I rolled it up and was going to load it in my cart, but I couldn't pick it up. Must have weighed well over 150 pounds. Decided I didn't want to carry that much weight, so I passed.

Last edited by a moderator:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have the 3/4 inch horse mats that I cut to 11.5x11.5 (wanted them to fit in a milk crate). They are great. Got 24 out of the 4x6 sheet and they filled 2 milk crates. But these pads would work great sitting on or not on them. They are on my short list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bones

I found some with two different thickness, one about a 1/4" (made 6 pads for concrete slabs) and the other was about 1/2". The thickest one came in a 4' x 6' sheet that I was going to cut in 12" x 12" to use for blocking. However, I rolled it up and was going to load it in my cart, but I couldn't pick it up. Must have weighed well over 150 pounds. Decided I didn't want to carry that much weight, so I passed.
Yes they probably will be a little heavy just like wood blocks are but they shouldn't decompose like wood blocks

- - - Updated - - -

I have the 3/4 inch horse mats that I cut to 11.5x11.5 (wanted them to fit in a milk crate). They are great. Got 24 out of the 4x6 sheet and they filled 2 milk crates. But these pads would work great sitting on or not on them. They are on my short list.
What didn't you like about them? I know just like a lot of other things they will need a little reinforcing but I am hoping they work well. They would be a good alternative to the plastic lego blocks and wood but not as expensive to the fancy Utility Blocks. I can also cut a strip that can go under my tires to help me level and they can just sit in the bed of the truck and not rot away.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool - create a new thread for your project in this sub-forum.
Hey Jim, Thanks for moving and creating a new thread.

Dave

MCTalley

We've been using a combination of expensive "Hoss Pads" we bought at Camping World and pads we made from a horse stall mat from Tractor Supply. Both are holding up equally well. Over time, I've given away (or lost in a wreck) several of the pads I made from the sheet. I still have a four foot by one foot strip from the original pad sitting in the bed of my truck keeping my totes from sliding around in the bed when we travel. I'm thinking of buying another sheet to make a few more pads (they make great "stepping stones" in muddy areas) and to put some more down in the truck bed to keep other things from sliding around.

As for longevity, our original pads we made are still going strong. They are the ones we put under the front landing gear, so they tend to get a lot of weight on them. When we need to stack for height, however, I put plastic interlocking leveling blocks (i.e. Lego blocks) on top of the rubber pad to build up height.

Bones

We've been using a combination of expensive "Hoss Pads" we bought at Camping World and pads we made from a horse stall mat from Tractor Supply. Both are holding up equally well. Over time, I've given away (or lost in a wreck) several of the pads I made from the sheet. I still have a four foot by one foot strip from the original pad sitting in the bed of my truck keeping my totes from sliding around in the bed when we travel. I'm thinking of buying another sheet to make a few more pads (they make great "stepping stones" in muddy areas) and to put some more down in the truck bed to keep other things from sliding around.

As for longevity, our original pads we made are still going strong. They are the ones we put under the front landing gear, so they tend to get a lot of weight on them. When we need to stack for height, however, I put plastic interlocking leveling blocks (i.e. Lego blocks) on top of the rubber pad to build up height.
That is good info to know Malcom. I'm going to try and reinforce the pads so I can use them like I use my wood blocks I made. Nothing is wrong with my block but when it rained last time it absorbed some of the water so I know it won't last forever. I want to glue the pads together with a reinforcing material in-between them. I may experiment with different materials.

2psnapod2

I really like like them. I figure I will dispose of all my plastic ones real soon. Only keeping the ones I made for when I need some height and using the snap pads only when no additional height is needed.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I was just looking at those at Camping World on Friday . . .

We park our trailer next to our garage on rocks, and those orange Lynx blocks just aren't very stable on the rocks.

Plus, I have to put three of the Lynx blocks under each tire on the door side when parked next to the house, and I don't like the interlocking thingies on top of the blocks poking into the trailer tires.

I saw on the Lynx website that they make flat plastic plates that fit on top of the orange blocks, but I haven't found them in a local store to check them out.

I will probably get some of the Hoss Pads to correct this issue.

Also, the plastic blocks are kind of slippery for the landing gear, so the Hoss pads may be a good alternative for that as well.

FrontAxlePassSide-IMG_3906.jpg ProwlerInYard-P1000054.jpg ProwlerInYard-P1000056.jpg
First shot is our previous Heartland Trail Runner parked in the same spot (didn't have a shot of the Prowler's tires on the orange blocks).

2psnapod2

John with the horse mat you could cut strips needed for your tires. One complete piece virus several of the hoss pads.

wdk450

I was just looking at those at Camping World on Friday . . .

We park our trailer next to our garage on rocks, and those orange Lynx blocks just aren't very stable on the rocks.

Plus, I have to put three of the Lynx blocks under each tire on the door side when parked next to the house, and I don't like the interlocking thingies on top of the blocks poking into the trailer tires.

I saw on the Lynx website that they make flat plastic plates that fit on top of the orange blocks, but I haven't found them in a local store to check them out.

I will probably get some of the Hoss Pads to correct this issue.

Also, the plastic blocks are kind of slippery for the landing gear, so the Hoss pads may be a good alternative for that as well.

View attachment 41199 View attachment 41201 View attachment 41200
First shot is our previous Heartland Trail Runner parked in the same spot (didn't have a shot of the Prowler's tires on the orange blocks).

I don't understand how these pads could be stiff enough to distribute the weight if you can "roll them up".

Maybe these horse stall pads would be helpful in use in conjunction with Lynx levellers or wood blocks.

On the blocks poking your tires, here is a link to the flat topper pads for these systems:
http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-00019-LynxCap/dp/B000UOBIZC

2psnapod2

I don't understand how these pads could be stiff enough to distribute the weight if you can "roll them up".Maybe these horse stall pads would be helpful in use in conjunction with Lynx levellers or wood blocks.On the blocks poking your tires, here is a link to the flat topper pads for these systems: http://www.amazon.com/Tri-Lynx-00019-LynxCap/dp/B000UOBIZC
Lou stated he roles it up, meaning the large sheet of them. Picture them like a 3/4 inch 11.5 x 11.5 piece of tire. That is flat. Ply able but will not crush.

wdk450

Lou stated he roles it up, meaning the large sheet of them. Picture them like a 3/4 inch 11.5 x 11.5 piece of tire. That is flat. Ply able but will not crush.

Do you WANT pliable in a landing gear pad? Don't you want to spread out the point source of weight into a larger (less maximum pounds per square inch) footprint? Maybe the horse pads need to be backed or sandwiched around a piece of plate steel.

2psnapod2

Do you WANT pliable in a landing gear pad? Don't you want to spread out the point source of weight into a larger (less maximum pounds per square inch) footprint? Maybe the horse pads need to be backed or sandwiched around a piece of plate steel.

With the yellow blocks, o have had to dig them out of a grassy site on numerous sites. With these, they have not been buried yet. The do flex but also protect the level up feet.

jbeletti

With the yellow blocks, o have had to dig them out of a grassy site on numerous sites. With these, they have not been buried yet. The do flex but also protect the level up feet.

Michael - next time you use the yellow blocks - try them upside down :)

olcoon

I can see wanting to protect the bottom of the landing gears from getting scratched up, etc. and I can see good points from all the arguments posted. However, at the campground we worked at this past summer on 2 different occasions I had to fill in holes where the landing jacks sank into the ground one of them at least 6". The sites were gravel on top of a dirt/sand mix, anyone who has been in Wisconsin, or at the Wisconsin rally (we worked at the CG where the rally is held), knows what I'm talking about. Probably the same type of soil as Michigan. I don't know what the circumstances were when this happened, or what type of rig was there, I just know I had to fill in the holes. However I did hear that the deep one was from a motorhome, (don't know how big), which "may" be heaver than our 5er's. Bottom line is that even if I do get the Snap Pads, I'll probably still carry/use some wood to distribute the weight.

wdk450

Re: "I can see wanting to protect the bottom of the landing gears from getting scratched up, etc. . . . . ."

Who EVER sees the BOTTOM of the landing gear pads, or cares about how they look? The only time I saw mine (besides landing gear repairs) was when I took them off to throw away in favor of the Lippert Elephants Feet replacement product (which is designed to lessen pounds per square inch of landing gear pressure).

Bones

I had a little bit of time so I stopped off at our local horse and animal store and picked up a stall mat. I purchased the 3/4 thick one and total length was 4' x 6' for $40 bucks. I cut the pad into strips where one strip will be used for under my tires when leveling. The rest I cut up into 12" x 12" squares. Here are some pictures of the pad.

IMG_20151104_070746.jpg

IMG_20151104_083220.jpg

IMG_20151104_083239.jpg

This is the strip I plan on using under the tires when needed.
IMG_20151104_083227.jpg

I scored some scrap composite boards used for decorative purposes on houses. I am thinking of gluing these in-between the rubber. That should stiffen up the pads for loading.

IMG_20151104_194306.jpg

I am thinking of using rubber cement to glue everything together. Not sure if that will hold up but I will find out. Sadly I wont get all of this together in time for my last trip so I will continue to work on the project through the winter. Unless November proves to be a warm month then I'll try to get out camping again.//heartlandowners.org/images/smilies/cool.png

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had a little bit of time so I stopped off at our local horse and animal store and picked up a stall mat. I purchased the 3/4 thick one and total length was 4' x 6' for $40 bucks. I cut the pad into strips where one strip will be used for under my tires when leveling. The rest I cut up into 12" x 12" squares. Here are some pictures of the pad.

View attachment 41226

View attachment 41227

View attachment 41229

This is the strip I plan on using under the tires when needed.
View attachment 41228

I scored some scrap composite boards used for decorative purposes on houses. I am thinking of gluing these in-between the rubber. That should stiffen up the pads for loading.

View attachment 41230

I am thinking of using rubber cement to glue everything together. Not sure if that will hold up but I will find out. Sadly I wont get all of this together in time for my last trip so I will continue to work on the project through the winter. Unless November proves to be a warm month then I'll try to get out camping again.//heartlandowners.org/images/smilies/cool.png

Sah'weet!

Let us know your findings . . .

Our 2015 Heartland Prowler is parked on rocks in our side yard and I am looking for alternatives to having the tires sit on said rocks when stored.