Body Crack Above Doorside Slide.

chuitt

Heartland 365 2015 Ashland

Guess what I found while cleaning the camper today. A full thickness body wall crack going from the roof seam, down the sidewall to the top corner of the slide opening. I'm going to try and attach a video.

My question of the forum is what in the members experience is an acceptable solution to this? I'm taking this up with the factory and the dealership of course. I just want to get more experienced peoples experience, recommendations, etc. I don't want to get the smoke from the B.S brigade.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Attachments

• Body Crack.jpg
    Body Crack.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 129

danemayer

Carl,

Maybe it's just me, but I can't tell what that is a picture of. To me it looks like the underside of something - rather than the sidewall of the coach. Is it the right picture? Do you have another picture that will put this into context?

guyc66

If I am looking at your photo right that is your slide topper at the bottom of the sidewall crack which runs down from the roof to just above the slide, correct? (the photo is rotated to the left)

chuitt

Heartland 365 2015 Ashland

Guess what I found while cleaning the camper today. A full thickness body wall crack going from the roof seam, down the sidewall to the top corner of the slide opening. I'm going to try and attach a video.

My question of the forum is what in the members experience is an acceptable solution to this? I'm taking this up with the factory and the dealership of course. I just want to get more experienced peoples experience, recommendations, etc. I don't want to get the smoke from the B.S brigade.

Thanks in advance.

Carl

Bones

I would definitely say that one of your internal supports in the wall broke. Can you see if it broke through in-between the slide seals in the metal area.

danemayer

Sometimes repair shops only look at repairing the wall damage. But you'll need to have them locate the underlying cause.

Bones

Second question. Where is this crack located, where on the frame? Take a full side photo.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would call HL service ASAP. Have your VIN# handy. Send them the pix and video. Good dealer service dept could fix this. You might also ask if it could be repaired at the plant.

chuitt

It above the door side slide opening. Starts at that front corner and goes straight up to the roof cap. Were you able to get the video to work?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys. I am taking it to Lamesa RV tomorrow. Called the factory. They share your suspicions about a broken frame support.

I have a 2013 landmark grandcanyon and had the same problem but on the inside. If you haven't already found out Heartland guarantees their frames for 5 years. They were great, took care of everything. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Bones

It above the door side slide opening. Starts at that front corner and goes straight up to the roof cap. Were you able to get the video to work?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys. I am taking it to Lamesa RV tomorrow. Called the factory. They share your suspicions about a broken frame support.
Yes the video worked but I'm trying to figure what it is in relation to your frame on the side. Is it towards the front of the frame or is it towards the rear of the frame, does it sit over the axle area? That kind of question. There are several possibilities as to the cause but it's overall location within your sub frasm helps a lot in pin pointing a probable cause

danemayer

Yes the video worked but I'm trying to figure what it is in relation to your frame on the side. Is it towards the front of the frame or is it towards the rear of the frame, does it sit over the axle area? That kind of question. There are several possibilities as to the cause but it's overall location within your sub frasm helps a lot in pin pointing a probable cause

I think people are talking about the aluminum framing inside the sidewall structure.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A crack in that location could also be caused by the slide closing too far, a broken frame or inside the wall. You have done the right thing by making Heartland RV (factory) aware of this. Keep in contact with the dealer and Heartland. It is not a simple fix but a competent shop should be able to handle it. And then there is the matching of the paint....

dennych1

Carl welcome to the club I just left Elkhart where heartland fixed my crack at the same location. They found a broken weld fixed it resupported it did body work drove 1250 miles to Florida and look up and the crack is back. Not very happy. I am currently working with Darrel at the service center on next step.
Dennis