FIXED: Sparks and Smoke under slide

dasmoeturhead

Yep, while trying to leave Port Aransas the wife was bringing in the Galley slide, and she said sparks,a popping sound and smoke was coming from under the slide, under the refrigerator area. I went in and say and smelled the smoke. We made it to Houston, and went to the Landmark dealer Ron Hoover who basically told me they didn't have the man power to look at it. They did find a broken wire under the slide. They said it was the refrigerator and they didn't work on residential refrigerators, and didn't even know how to remove it. Told me it be a week before they could even look at it. I did explain that we were traveling, and the coach is brand new, and almost caught on fire. They could care less and sent me on the road with no solution to the repair. Wow! now thats some good Heartland service.

I then proceeded to drive out of Houston, in hopes to spend a day on the phone to find a repair shop. Nobody in this area could help me, but I did find a place 3 days from here that will get us in Monday. After getting to the cg last night I began my trouble shooting skills, and found the induction stove was not powered up, and the breaker was tripped. The wires in question are under the front corner of the galley slide underneath. Apparently every time the slide goes in or out the wires scrape along of sheet metal that looks like someone made a bad repair in the past. I mean there's a piece of sheet metal attached to the body of the trailer on the botton seal area, and its secured my 6 random sheet metals screws. It looks very suspect to me, and also to the dealer who looked at it originally.

Now this trailer was brand new when wed bought it 4 months ago, and has never been to a repair shop, so I'm not sure who put this botched up repair or whatever it is. But it did cause this problem. I have pictures on my phone, but I'm not going through the hassle of trying to get them on here, after several attemps to write this on my phone and losing it all, Im very frustrated.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Sparks and Smoke under slide

If you took the photos on a SmartPhone or iPhone, and have a laptop, e-mail the photos to yourself and post from the laptop. If you're going to try and get some help/satisfaction from Heartland, they'll probably want to see photos.

Perhaps someone else with the same rig may be able to take a look under their's and figure out if it's common or an anomaly.

jbeletti

Sorry to hear about your power issue. Have you contacted Heartland Customer Service (877-262-8032)? They should be able to help you get it in somewhere.

The sheetmetal you are seeing "may" be part of the structure that seals the slide room or protects the bottom of the floor near a tire.

I can tell you how these things are generally wired...

From the breaker panel (stove and most recepts) or refer transfer switch (resi refer), there is standard household Romex-type wire run. The circuit(s) for that slide come through the I-Beam frame into an electrical box. From that box, we use flexible, rubber jacketed wire with "stranded" conductors (for flexing). These rubber jacket wires go through the slide wiring loom (called a Flexguard - made by Lippert) and then go up into the slide through a hole(s) in the slide floor.

At first, I'd have guessed there is a problem inside that junction box with a wire nut(s) coming off creating either a short to ground or a discontinuity created a high-current situation, either causing high-heat and possibly melting the insulation on the wires.

But since you stated your refer AND your stove top are both inop, I'm wondering if it's something else...

Consider doing this:
1. Turn off shore power and keep generator off
2. Use a screwdriver and remove the blank plate/cover on the junction box on the frame
3. Carefully inspect the splices in there and redo whatever needs redoing
4. Replace cover, restore power and test appliances

donr827

I have always had good service from mobile repair guys recommended by CG owners. You need approval from HL customer service FIRST. Should be quicker also.
Don

porthole

Retired

Since I see some steel box tubing - I'm guessing that is the new rig, eh?

When you get home, a lawn sprinkler works wonders on the under carriage.

jbeletti

Duane - yes, the new coach. And yes, it is really bad underneath with salt, dirt etc. I will probably get the pressure washer out when weather allows. Got to get home first. I'm in Columbus, Indiana at a La Quinta :)
IMAG2449.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Looks pretty nose heavy the way that dually is squatting......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired

I feel your pain. The first time I let the galley slide out on my new Ashland I saw the giant bright blue sparks behind the refrigerator! I went outside to inspect and found two large wires routed through 2 holes in the corner of the slide floor. That sheet metal had chaffed one of them. I can not believe that there was nothing more that some expanding foam insulation protecting these wires as they pass through that sheet metal. A fire just waiting to happen. I hope no one gets hurt as a result.

Last edited:

Roller4tan

I had a similar issue on my Bighorn. I noticed no power to the fridge and slide outlets. The microwave worked and the fridge worked on gas. After looking under the slide, my wiring entered at the rear of the slide. There were two wires entering the floor parallel to the rear of the slide. The inside wire was stripped of part of the insulation and one wire was cut. Looking farther into the slide I noticed the aluminum plate about 8" long and as high as the bottom of the slide. With the slide in the wire scraped across the top of that plate and tore into that wiring. I don't know why that plate was there, but it did the damage. I bent the plate so the wiring cleared and splice the the cut wire and taped and caulked it until I can replace it from the junction box to the first outlet.

dasmoeturhead

I had a similar issue on my Bighorn. I noticed no power to the fridge and slide outlets. The microwave worked and the fridge worked on gas. After looking under the slide, my wiring entered at the rear of the slide. There were two wires entering the floor parallel to the rear of the slide. The inside wire was stripped of part of the insulation and one wire was cut. Looking farther into the slide I noticed the aluminum plate about 8" long and as high as the bottom of the slide. With the slide in the wire scraped across the top of that plate and tore into that wiring. I don't know why that plate was there, but it did the damage. I bent the plate so the wiring cleared and splice the the cut wire and taped and caulked it until I can replace it from the junction box to the first outlet.
Yeah,no kidding. What a ridiculous design. I have an appointment in New Orleans. Going to let them have a stab at it. Be nice to have a stove top that works agsin, and it would be real nice if I didn't have 28 deg weather coming in tonight also. Jeez! Heartland. What were you thinking.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Where you getting it looked at as there are no dealers in NOLA proper? Bill Mitchell camper sales and Dixie are both on the N Shore.

porthole

Retired

My suggestion of the sprinkler comes from watching the kids go mudding with their trucks. The slow steady sprinkler action cleans up even the heaviest of mudded up trucks. May not be fast, but you also can do other things and occasionally go out and reposition the sprinkler.

Personally, I would not use a pressure washer on the underside of my trailer.

Duane - yes, the new coach. And yes, it is really bad underneath with salt, dirt etc. I will probably get the pressure washer out when weather allows. Got to get home first. I'm in Columbus, Indiana at a La Quinta :)
View attachment 35041

busted2341

Jim,

Is that the Ashland you just picked up? What do I need to look for? How can it be that dirty in a week or so or am I missing something?

jassson007

Jim,

Is that the Ashland you just picked up? What do I need to look for? How can it be that dirty in a week or so or am I missing something?

He just drove through the snowpocalyps. Lol

dasmoeturhead

Where you getting it looked at as there are no dealers in NOLA proper? Bill Mitchell camper sales and Dixie are both on the N Shore.

Brent rv and marine in Metairie La.
Heartland said I could take it anywhere, and he also mentioned this place, so that's where I'm going Monday morning.

jassson007

Brent rv and marine in Metairie La.
Heartland said I could take it anywhere, and he also mentioned this place, so that's where I'm going Monday morning.

Ok. I did not know they were in Metarie. Let us know how they do.