Anyone getting "White Knuckles" while pulling your TT?

jones6789

I have a 2014 Trail Runner 29FQBS. I have only put about 3000 miles on the trailer - and have not enjoyed pulling it at all....When I purchased it, it came with Husky Load levelers and one Husky sway bar. After my first trip I took it back to the dealer and asked what was wrong....and he said I needed another sway bar....so I bought another sway bar.....and that did not help either....so, I only go about 60 MPH or less depending on the wind. I have weighed the trailer and determined the weight on the hitch and I seem to be fine there.

I pull with a 2012 Ford F250 with power stroke diesel, so the problem is definitely not with the truck.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? If so, what is the solution? My solution is to get a 5th wheel....

jimtoo

HI jones6789,

Welcome to the posting side of the forum.

Probably need to post your actual weights on each axle and hitch so folks will know what your actually working with.

Jim M

I did move the thread to better area also.

Bones

Agreed with Jim M. You need to post weights of all your axles and a picture of your whole rig hooked up and on level ground. Preferably a side picture. How your trailer is sitting plays a very important role in stability.

rhodies1

I know your pain,I had a Trail Cruiser unit in 1998 and nothing I tried helped with the towing.I determined that the unit did not have enough tongue weight,it was about 8o/o .I tried adding some weight to the tongue but was concerned about stressing the frame.
After having the unit lose traction and whip from side to side on the highway 3 times,I traded it on a 5 the wheel,it just wasn't worth the risk.

danemayer

so, I only go about 60 MPH or less depending on the wind.

You may have a problem that weight and balance will help, but if you're trying to tow faster than 65, you should reconsider. Most all trailer tires have a max speed rating of 65. And I'd hazard a guess that stability decreases as well.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Perhaps your weight distributing system isn't set up right . . .

Instead of talking to your dealer, look for a shop that only deals in trailer hitches (we have one here in Denver if you ever get up this way).

And once they make sure your setup is set up correctly . . . have them show you what you need to do every time you hitch up (this is the key)!

I see more people driving down the highway with all of the gear . . . but it looks like they don't know how to correctly hitch it up.

Now, we had a 2013 Trail Runner 22RK and it had a tendency to sway.

It had the rear kitchen, so that made it back heavy, and the rear slide-out bike rack bumper, but I also thought that since the axles were so close together that this could also be part of the problem.

As it turned out, we had spring and axle problems with that trailer, which I now believe was the main cause of our sway issue.

I had a DrawTite weight distributing system with a Reese sway bar and it worked really well with both the Trail Runner and our old Coachman TT.

WDhitchsetup-P1000277.jpg NewHitchCloseup-IMG_20140918_163520140.jpg AxleRepairAfter-P5090654.jpg NewCamperTruck-P9110306.jpg SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

pegmikef

I am not familiar with the Husky load levelers. Is that a weight distribution system? I do know that when using most weight distribution systems, the correct trailer hitch ball height in relationship to the trailer ball cup is critical. on most WD systems the ball should be around 1/8th inch above the ball cup for each hundred pounds of tongue weight when both the tow vehicle and trailer are level. This compensates for the "squat" factor when you lower the tongue onto the hitch ball and should make you TV and trailer level. Check any documentation you have for the load levelers. Dealers often do not have all the answers.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have a 2014 Trail Runner 29FQBS. I have only put about 3000 miles on the trailer - and have not enjoyed pulling it at all....When I purchased it, it came with Husky Load levelers and one Husky sway bar. After my first trip I took it back to the dealer and asked what was wrong....and he said I needed another sway bar....so I bought another sway bar.....and that did not help either....so, I only go about 60 MPH or less depending on the wind. I have weighed the trailer and determined the weight on the hitch and I seem to be fine there.

I pull with a 2012 Ford F250 with power stroke diesel, so the problem is definitely not with the truck.

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem? If so, what is the solution? My solution is to get a 5th wheel....

I like your proposed solution.

wdk450

Have you thought about having your trailer axle alignment laser checked? Most truck alignment shops can do this. Regrettably, the factory does not do a laser axle/wheel alignment during the build.

Tundra2084

White knuckling when towing isn't fun for anyone. When a semi would go by it wasn't just white knuckles but tense back and neck that made us trade out of our bumper pull and into our fiver. Even with all the correct weight distribution and load levelers it was never a pleasant trip, and thinking about the return trip home always made us not look forward to going home. Now we look forward to the next trip and don't worry about being pushed and pulled around by wind or semi's. It's amazing how much more you will enjoy your trips if your not always dreading it. Fiver was our best upgrade we made and will never look back .

JohnD

When a weight distributing hitch is set up correctly it will pull almost as easily as a 5th-wheeler.

While I love pulling our 5th-wheel Prowler, I do miss the bumper-pull in many ways (but, I admit, will probably never go back).

I will say that hitching and unhitching is much easier and faster with the 5'ver . . .

I used to spend 20 minutes hitching up with the bumper-pull where the 5th-wheel takes less than a minute . . .

Back up . . . hear the "clunk" . . . get out and lock the hitch handle . . . READY TO ROLL!

JohnD

As I mentioned in this topic thread (above), there is a proper way to hitch up with a WD (weight distributing) setup!

And, unfortunately, it may not always be the same every time you hitch up (despite whatever your dealership told you)!

Depends on a full gas tank or what you may have loaded in the trailer . . .

But don't let this scare you as it really is very easy!

However . . . fill up your truck gas tank before you hitch up . . .

For two reasons . . . it is easier to fill up without the trailer in tow, and when hitching up the WD it is easier when you have a full load already loaded!

Now . . . this IS the important part . . .

With your trailer hitch locked on the ball of your truck ball hitch . . . crank your truck and trailer up until it (truck and trailer) is slightly higher than level (after a few times you'll get the hang of this) . . . then put your WD arms on!

Then crank up the post until it is closed and you will find that the trailer will pull much easier.

If you can make it to one of the Colorado HOC rallies . . . I can show you what I am talking about!

Bgthomas

As I mentioned in this topic thread (above), there is a proper way to hitch up with a WD (weight distributing) setup!

And, unfortunately, it may not always be the same every time you hitch up (despite whatever your dealership told you)!

Depends on a full gas tank or what you may have loaded in the trailer . . .

But don't let this scare you as it really is very easy!

However . . . fill up your truck gas tank before you hitch up . . .

For two reasons . . . it is easier to fill up without the trailer in tow, and when hitching up the WD it is easier when you have a full load already loaded!

Now . . . this IS the important part . . .

With your trailer hitch locked on the ball of your truck ball hitch . . . crank your truck and trailer up until it (truck and trailer) is slightly higher than level (after a few times you'll get the hang of this) . . . then put your WD arms on!

Then crank up the post until it is closed and you will find that the trailer will pull much easier.

If you can make it to one of the Colorado HOC rallies . . . I can show you what I am talking about!

That's the way I do mine, John. I have an Equal-i-zer 12K hitch. The WD arms are a bugger to get on if you don't jack up a bit.

There is always a bit of tail wagging the dog with a 36 footer like mine, but I'm used to it now.

ram_1955

We had the white knuckles with our CrossRoads 32RL towed with an F150. I started with a Blue Ox Sway Pro. After 2 years I broke down and bought a Pro Pride what a world of difference. It is not a matter of having the hitch setup right mine was and the trailer was still causing the truck to be pushed all over the lane and then some. After installing the Pro Pride the truck and trailer stayed still in the lane like I wanted. No other changes, same tires same alignment same weight/configuration just no more getting pushed all around the highway.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I was just browsing through this tread and didn't notice if anyone touched on weight distribution. Moving all the weight forward in front of the trailers axles will make a world of difference.
I'm not sure if you have any cargo or heavy bikes behind the trailers axles ? If you can move it forward in the RV or in to your tow vehicle you will find a major difference an how it handles.

ram_1955

My trailer weighed 10K with right at 1400 of tongue weight and it was still all over the road when being passed.

oldmannj

We had the white knuckles with our CrossRoads 32RL towed with an F150. I started with a Blue Ox Sway Pro. After 2 years I broke down and bought a Pro Pride what a world of difference. It is not a matter of having the hitch setup right mine was and the trailer was still causing the truck to be pushed all over the lane and then some. After installing the Pro Pride the truck and trailer stayed still in the lane like I wanted. No other changes, same tires same alignment same weight/configuration just no more getting pushed all around the highway.

This is also the way I went with the trailrunner RK we had. Pro Pride is every bit as good as Hensley and is less costly. I saved the hitch when we traded in the trailer and it is for sale. If the OP or anyone for that matter, is interested feel free to private message me and I can give you the details. ED.