Fresh water tank overflowing on city water (Resolved)

Georgia_Biker

We are on our first day out of a 3 1/2 month camping trip. I have the water hooked up and the valve set on CITY. The fresh water tank is filling up and overflowing. I have a BH 3875FB and it is a year old this month.

Any ideas? Can it be the valve? How hard I that to change in the field?

danemayer

Re: Fresh water tank overflowing on city water

Hi Larry,

It might be the valve, and the valve is pretty easy to change. It's also possible to replace just the cartridge in the center of the valve. And you can probably call either Heartland or Anderson and they'll likely send you a replacement at no charge for self-install.

But it's more likely to be the internal check valve in the water pump is stuck open, allowing water to flow backward through the pump. If you have a good hardware or a plumbing supply store nearby, for about $15 you can pick up a 1/2" push-on Sharkbite check valve. In a couple of minutes you can install it on the suction side of the pump and that'll probably take care of it. Make squared off cuts to the tubing and be sure to look at the arrow on the check valve so you get it pointing in the direction of normal water flow.

If you want to spend a few minutes testing things first, you could disconnect the hand-tightened fitting on the suction side of the pump to see if water is coming out there. You can test the valve by disconnecting the fitting that goes to the pump to see if water comes out there.

Anderson 4way valve 2 city.jpg

Georgia_Biker

Dan

Thanks for the reply. I have already talked with Art at Heartland and he is overnighting me the cartridge you spoke of for the valve. I should have it by Monday. In the meantime I shut off city water and will use fresh water as needed until the cartridge arrives. I then noticed the pump runs all the time even with nothing turned on.

I have just read your reply to me and I think the problem very well may be the pump. Now to sound dumb where is the pump located?

I am on the road at a campground and there is a Home Depot and Lowes close by. So if I can get the pump opened up hopefully I can get it fixed.

Many thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Dan-

The picture you sent me - am I looking at the backside of the fresh water inlet and control valve?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Are you coming out this way (Colorado)?

If so . . . let me know!

I'd like to meet up with you if you are in the area.

And I'm sure several others here in Colorado would like to do so as well!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I had the same problem on my landmark, and did all kinds of trouble shooting and testing to figure out where the problem was. After all of my hours of work, the new pump fixed the problem.

In the mean time you can do as Dan said and install a check valve on the suction line to the pump. On mine the suction line is a rubber hose you will need to get a few parts from Home Depot
This is one I made but after I installed the new pump I didn't need it.
799665785e0d4d1de77764937c33f1bd.jpg

You could also remove the line and cap it.
The pump is right behind the basement wall

danemayer

Dan

Thanks for the reply. I have already talked with Art at Heartland and he is overnighting me the cartridge you spoke of for the valve. I should have it by Monday. In the meantime I shut off city water and will use fresh water as needed until the cartridge arrives. I then noticed the pump runs all the time even with nothing turned on.

I have just read your reply to me and I think the problem very well may be the pump. Now to sound dumb where is the pump located?

I am on the road at a campground and there is a Home Depot and Lowes close by. So if I can get the pump opened up hopefully I can get it fixed.

Many thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Dan-

The picture you sent me - am I looking at the backside of the fresh water inlet and control valve?

The picture is the backside of the 4 Way Anderson Valve, including the fresh water inlet.

The pump is located behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage, close to the 4-way valve. There may be a couple of screws holding the panel from inside the UDC, and a few more on the opposite end of the panel.

Don't know that many people have had success repairing the check valve in the pump. But you can probably get the parts shown in Jesstalkn's post at Home Depot and install an external check valve.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

FYI: I was told if I take the pump apart it will void the warranty.
The pump has a 2 year warranty

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Georgia_Biker

Dan-

After searching all over Chattanooga I found a Sharkbite inline check valve. I made me a little short inset line like Jarrod did on another post and installed it on the suction side of the 4-position valve. That did not work! Fresh water tank overfilled again.

My campsite neighbor said he had the same problem on a Forest River travel trailer he had and he installed a check valve on the outgoing side of the pump and that cured the problem.

I went back and re-read your post and I think you are saying the same thing - the check valve needs to be installed coming off the pump - is that right?

TedS

The check valve must be installed in the pump outlet so that city water is not forced back through the pump.

TedS

It would also be good to repair or replace the pump. Depending on the pump, you will have three or four pumping chambers. Each chamber has an outlet and inlet check valve. If any one of the outlet check valves is not closing, city water can push water past the pump into the tank. Adding an external check valve will prevent water backflow but you still have a poor functioning pump. You lose 1/4 to 1/3 pump capacity for each outlet check valve malfunctioning, depending on how many pumping chambers the pump has. If you never use the pump, you won't miss it with the external check valve installed.

Georgia_Biker

Thanks Ted

I was confused earlier. There is a Blue line coming out of the pump. I assume I install just past there and before all of the tee off lines. The problem is there is very little room unless I rearrange some lines to allow for space.IMG_1087.JPGIMG_1085.JPGIMG_1078.JPG

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I tried that and that caused a different problem. It held back the head pressure on my pump so the pump kept cycling every few seconds. (When on) if the check valve didn't work on your suction line then it's not the check valve in your pump. It would have to be the seals in the Anderson valve sending water to the fresh water fill line.
You should be able to test it.
With water hooked up, Anderson valve set on City, remove the far right line on the back of the Anderson valve that goes to the fresh water tank. Get a few towel's ready and a plastic trash bag under the open port, and have someone turn on the water.. then yell "turn it off turn it off" LOL
There shouldn't be any water coming out of that right port if the value is sealed

danemayer

Dan-

After searching all over Chattanooga I found a Sharkbite inline check valve. I made me a little short inset line like Jarrod did on another post and installed it on the suction side of the 4-position valve. That did not work! Fresh water tank overfilled again.

My campsite neighbor said he had the same problem on a Forest River travel trailer he had and he installed a check valve on the outgoing side of the pump and that cured the problem.

I went back and re-read your post and I think you are saying the same thing - the check valve needs to be installed coming off the pump - is that right?

Larry, the check valve should be on the suction side, as Jerrod noted. Sounds like the valve is your problem, but leave the check valve in place. It'll save you aggravation later if the pump acts up.

Georgia_Biker

Dan and Jerrod-

I wanted to post an update just so others will know and learn as we all do on this forum.

I disconnected the fresh water line on the back of the 4-way valve. ( removing the side panel just inside the basement is easy and gives great access). I then hooked up my water line and selected the valve to "City" - my wife turned the water on briefly and water came rushing out of the fresh water line which it is not supposed to. So the o rings in the valve are bad!

I the got a 1/2" cap and plug at Lowes and plugged the disconnected water line off. Now I can run my city water without any problem until parts arrive.

One important tip - be sure to wrap the open line of the valve with plumbers tape and completely tighten the cap. I messed up here and came back later to check on things and I had a small pond.

We are waiting on the parts from Heartland but we are functioning.

- - - Updated - - -

John-

We will be at Mountaindale Campground in Colorado Springs Aug 3 - 10. We are also attending a Heartland Rally at Fort McDowell, AZ last of September -

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Thanks so much for the update. You have solved the mystery. Glad you figured it out without a disappointing trip to the dealer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

John-

We will be at Mountaindale Campground in Colorado Springs Aug 3 - 10. We are also attending a Heartland Rally at Fort McDowell, AZ last of September -

I sent you a PM.

Georgia_Biker

Hey Folks-

We landed at Cottonwoods RV Park in Columbia, MO yesterday. It took me about 45 minutes to install the 4-way valve o-ring cartridge Art at Heartland had sent me. Everything is back to normal and we continue our Midwest trip. Thanks to Art at Heartland, Dan, and Jerrord for your help and suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 176

danemayer

Hey Folks-

We landed at Cottonwoods RV Park in Columbia, MO yesterday. It took me about 45 minutes to install the 4-way valve o-ring cartridge Art at Heartland had sent me. Everything is back to normal and we continue our Midwest trip. Thanks to Art at Heartland, Dan, and Jerrord for your help and suggestions.
I assume that's the old one in your picture, with a missing chunk of o-ring.