City water going into fresh water tank no matter where the wet bay valve is set to on 2017 big horn 3160el

scottknight1

Last two days for first time - with city water press on the water is overflowing the fresh water tank.

No matter where I set the valve - city or normal - it over flows

Can it be the valve in the wet bay or the water pump?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thx

Attachments

• 461C62FB-CABC-4756-8203-1C057ACD72BF.jpeg
    461C62FB-CABC-4756-8203-1C057ACD72BF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11

chaplady

Possibile its the checkvalve in water pump. You can purchase a checkvalve the scews on between pump discharge and discharge hose. Had same issue that what and how i resolved the issue

DickO

When mine did that I found that when turning the Anderson valve to city, go past city and then turn back. Works without spending money.

scottknight1

ok. Will try it.
Does it matter if I’m turning it clockwise to get to city and go beyond ? Or counter clockwise.

In the past I just turned the arrow to city or tank or normal.
I never went 360 degrees in with direction. So maybe only going from 600 to 1200 o clock had caused this problem.

CoveredWagon

You can install a check valve on either side of the water pump.
It. could be the Andersen valve also. If you tried turning the Andersen valve with pressure on the system you might have blown a seal ring on the valve.

rmeyer

Last two days for first time - with city water press on the water is overflowing the fresh water tank.

Thx
Internal check valve in water pump probably bad. Buy a check valve and install it between water pump filter and pump inlet.

david-steph2018

ok. Will try it.
Does it matter if I’m turning it clockwise to get to city and go beyond ? Or counter clockwise.

In the past I just turned the arrow to city or tank or normal.
I never went 360 degrees in with direction. So maybe only going from 600 to 1200 o clock had caused this problem.
Being a 2017 model, I would bet that the Anderson Valve body is made of plastic. These have been known to fail and need rebuilt or replaced. During the 2019 National Rally, ABCORV was there and held a seminar about this issue. They said, they were redesigning the new replacement with a brass valve body. Which is how the valve is made now.
I ordered one in June 2019, and it took 6 weeks for it to arrive. In June 2022, the plastic one finally went out while we were in Nephi, Utah. It took me about 30 minutes to switch it out.
Finding a rebuild kit, can be difficult. You may be able to go to Lowe's/Home Deport or ACEE Hardware to find replacement O-Rings.
If it is the Anderson Valve, and you plan on replacing, order it now, there is a 6-week wait period:

CoveredWagon

The seal rings on the Andersen valve are not o-rings, they are a formed seal ring that looks similar to an o ring. Typically if it's a failed seal you'll find it's only one. I think there are four. If you get the plastic replacement part you'll also get four new seals. Replace the one and save the rest for the next time. Again remember never switch the Andersen valve with any pressure on the system, either from the campground or from the trailer.

The seal rings on the Andersen valve are not o-rings, they are a formed seal ring that looks similar to an o ring. Typically if it's a failed seal you'll find it's only one. I think there are four. If you get the plastic replacement part you'll also get four new seals. Replace the one and save the rest for the next time. Again remember never switch the Andersen valve with any pressure on the system, either from the campground or from the trailer.
This past summer I had the same problem in my 2021 Big Horn 3300DL. The Anderson Valve had to be replaced to solve the problem in my rig. I didn't know about the Seals that could be replaced. Best of luck. I was traveling around South Texas on the Gulf Coast. I didn't use the valve much. I allowed the problem to fill my fresh water thank and then turned off the hose. I used the pump in my rig to provide the water we needed. A new valve is not cheap. Check to see if it is a Seal.

This past summer I had the same problem in my 2021 Big Horn 3300DL. The Anderson Valve had to be replaced to solve the problem in my rig. I didn't know about the Seals that could be replaced. Best of luck. I was traveling around South Texas on the Gulf Coast. I didn't use the valve much. I allowed the problem to fill my fresh water thank and then turned off the hose. I used the pump in my rig to provide the water we needed. A new valve is not cheap. Check to see if it is a Seal.
Thank you for correcting my error. Its sad to me that things are built in ways that some of their parts (which can fail) are hard to replace or not replaceable.

CoveredWagon

Fortunately they usually only fail when valve is switched when there is pressure on the water system somewhere. It's often hard to remember to drain the pressure before switching the Andersen valve.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Try these guys... Ron from Anderson Brass gave me this info in July of 2021. He said they had them. That was a long time ago so maybe not.
Next option is to replace the entire valve with the new brass one.

Atlantic Marine
Merritt Island, FL
Attn: Brian
Atlanticmarine@cfl.rr.com

Last edited:

Thx
Ours as well. The problem is, there's a check valve on the water pump. It leaks past filling the fresh water tank. I took off the hose between the pump and the main water line [the from pump side] and installed a simple open/shut valve. Just remember to open it when using the fresh tank.

scottknight1

I added a check valve from Amazon in front of the water pump and that has solved the fresh water overflowing from the city water !
Thx everyone for the tip!