Why is it allowed?

landp

I just bought a 3210 and pull it with an f-350. I have always heard that 5th wheels pull so much better than a TT. It just is not so. My old 8305-s trail lite pulled much better than my new 5th wheel. I was shocked when I went down the road an the chucking started. It was so bad that my wife and I could not even talk. The jerking back and forth was just awful. Now I find out that chucking is just a part of 5th wheel towing. So I have gone out and bought a airborne and will install it this weekend. I hope that it helps. But why doesn't the manufacture do this in the first place? Can it really cost so much more to install a pin box that can limit chucking as compared to the pin box that comes standard?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I would say the reason they do not install different aftermarket pin box's is the decision of which one is best or is it really needed. There is so many variables that can cause chucking , not just the pin box. Things that can cause the problem ,loose hitch ,jaws not tight enough around pin , trailer not level , not enough pin weight , bad TV shocks . Each individual chooses which aftermarket products is or seems best for there different situation. I have the Trailair is it the best , don't really know, never had the other brands, but I like it , others like what ever they install. The only times chucking bothers me is certain roads and the length between expansion joints . I do know one thing I would never go back to a bumper pull , ever. I hope things get straightened out on your rig and begin enjoying a fine pulling experience......Kenny

Cooper

I agree with Kenny you need to check your weight and how it is distributed. I have had a tongue pull and they jerks a lot too. Once you install the Airborne hitchpin it will make a world of difference.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Everything Ken just said is right on the money. Even with an air hitch chucking can occur. We also have a Trail Air but the only time we get chucking is on bad concrete or when going over a bridge where the pavement is not well matched. When I first bought mt Bighorn I ordered the Trail Air as an option but I still had major chucking because of the slider on my Reese hitch. I replaced the slider with the standard legs and most of the chucking went away. A little slop in the hitch where it holds the pin will allow considerable movement. I'm sure the Airborne will help some but you can still expect some movement. I will never own another bumper pull either.

timk

landp,
I had exactly the same thought the first time we got ours on the road.
We did a TrailAir, it helped some. But airbags on the truck helped the most. We also put adjustable shocks on, and they did not do a thing. Now I wish we would have went with the MoreRide or the new TrailAir that helps with the front/rear movement, rather than the vertical movement.
Check you weights, make sure you have 15%-20% of your trailer weight on the pin. Or you could look for someplace smoother to go.
Let us know how the new hitch works.
TimK

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
A good test with your new hitch/pin set-up would be to drive through Oklahoma! I don't think they can build a 'chuck-proof' road! :D I'm saving for some MorRyde stuff to get installed at next year's Internat'l Heartland Owner's Rally! :)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Actually HT we've been through OK a couple times and I found 35 north and 44 north out of OKC not too bad with the trail air. We have friends living in Moore and he services them thar big windmills. He said stay the heck off of I40 unless we had a chiropractor in the back seat:D

Forrest Fetherolf

Fond memories of I-40 westbound thru Oklahoma City............heavy rain with those funny looking black funnels under the clouds, rough road to the point my jaws were sore and fillings started to loosen up, Karen had a sore back and at each overpass grabbed the hand bar and groaned, camp ground was flooded so drove a total of 600 miles that day until clear of the down pour, spent the next 3 days in Amarillo recuperating. RVing is always lots of fun!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Forrest

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Pin-Box

We have a MorRyde pin-box and it really improves the chucking motion. I was surprised when I saw the movement in the dust marks on the pin-box.
Good Luck
Wayne

landp

This all is well and good. But what I have learned is the common pin box is largely the reason for chucking. So to help resolve the issue I am going to spend $1,000 to install a new pin box on my trailer. Had Heartland incorporated this type from the start, it might have very well resolved the issue. I am an 80/20 type guy. Yes I understand the “upgraded pion box may not resolve all the issue, but from what I read it help to resolve a large percentage of the issue. If it would resolve 70 to 80% of the problem I would be happy. I spent $35,000 after trade-in, I doubt $200 or $300 more would have changed my mind. As much as I enjoy camping in the 3210, and it really is a great camper. If I had to do it all over again, I would have selected the 3010 and bought a Hensley arrow hitch.