2015 Ram Dually Alignment

Bones

Ok Truck Guys. I've got right front outer edge wear on my tire at only 14k miles. Normally I would think I have a camber issue but I have a live axle No adjustment. So what would be causing this issue. It is appearing on only one tire at the moment. I plan on calling the tire shop today and get the truck in for an alignment but I don't think it is a Toe issue but I could be wrong. Has any one else experienced this issue?

hoefler

Because of the length of the truck, you push when turning tight. Tire rotation will help extend your tire wear tremendously. I have rotated mine every 7,500 miles on all 4 of my Rams.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bones, one thing to remember. When making left turns, you are always moving (speed) faster than right turns. So the outside edge of the right front tire will always wear faster than the left. BTW, tire rotation is a good thing, I have mine done every 6K miles

Jim.Allison

You guys are saying that the OP concern is known in the dually circle. I cannot contribute any experience as applied to DRW. I don't know if this applies or not, but I had a vehicle that was always wearing the left front tire. The vehicle was in perfect alignment, then one day I saw my wife pull into the driveway and I saw right away why the tire was wearing. My observation was that we were familiar with the turn into the driveway and as you know that turn into most peoples driveway is unlike turning in most intersections, its usually fairly sharp. Being accustomed to the turn we approached it to fast. I observed the tire as it took all the weight of the turn on that side of the car, particularly on the outer edge. I was surprised! I never imagined that much contortion and abuse was possible. It was a turn that the vehicle made at least once per day if not more. Armed with this knowledge we slowed down and took a wider turn and the wear problem went away. Perhaps this scenario is contributing to the OP problem. Let me add that my RAM 2500 4X4 wears the front tires but it wears them evenly. I rotate on a regular basis, in fact I need to rotate now as I have noticed that fronts are wearing, normally, but still wearing. Like I said I don't own a dually so can't contribute specifics on that subject.

Bones

I do think your all correct and I really appreciate the info. It didn't dawn on me about the turn. I live in a cul-de-sac and I turn left which would roll the tire under and makes perfect sense. I'm bad at rotating tires so now I need to get better at it. But it is going to be fun jacking the dually completely off the ground and putting it on jack stands. I'm also not use to having tires with such a high profile either. My tires have always been low pros. Thanks again guy's Greatly appreciated.

MTPockets

I had similar wear issue on my Ford.. After getting new tires I simply swap front tires, left to right and right to left every 5000 miles.. No more issue.. I leave all four rears alone and have always gotten even wear.... Always Inflate to factory recommended pressure, Ford says 75 front & Dually 65 rear..

Bob&Patty

Jim, the wear pattern really has nothing to do with vehicle size. Driving habits maybe but just the nature of the beast.

SNOKING

RAM's spec calls for to much tow in according to my friend Cummins12V98 on RV.net and the Turbodieselregister site. RAM spec is 1/4", he had someone set his to 1/32" and problem with tire wear was cured.

Chris

Jim.Allison

Yes and your going to have to get a good jack too.
it is going to be fun jacking the dually completely off the ground and putting it on jack stands. I'm also not use to having tires with such a high profile either. My tires have always been low pros. Thanks again guy's Greatly appreciated.

Sarge

I had uneven wear until I rotated. Do it every 5k you'll be fine.

Running a DRW - So it's just left to right / right to left.

The polished Alcoa rims make it easy - Since you don't need to break the rears down.

Sarge

Bob&Patty

Yes, you need a GOOD JACK. My 2 tn jack would not lift the rear of my truck. Had to do one side at a time to get on jack stands.

porthole

Retired
RAM's spec calls for to much tow in according to my friend Cummins12V98 on RV.net and the Turbodieselregister site. RAM spec is 1/4", he had someone set his to 1/32" and problem with tire wear was cured.

Chris

He really was able to set the toe to 1/32"? He did that with a Hunter or tape measure?

The manufacturer by the way is probably a lot smarter then Leroy out behind Binky's garage.

Something to keep in mind with the theory of automotive wheel alignment.
The 'Toe' specification for wheel alignment, whether it is toe in or toe out is a measurement set on a non moving vehicle that, if set correctly, will move towards zero toe at speed. The goal is zero toe or parallel wheels at highway speed. So if your spec is 1/4" toe in, and you use the proper equipment (eg, no tape measures or string) and set the toe to 1/32" in, then at highway speed your vehicle will be 7/32" toe out, instead of zero toe.

I'll stick with the factory recommended specifications.

Food for thought:
Additionally the vehicle's toe is one of the most critical alignment settings relative to tire wear. A toe setting that is just a little off its appropriate setting can make a huge difference in their wear. Consider that if the toe setting is just 1/16-inch off of its appropriate setting, each tire on that axle will scrub almost seven feet sideways every mile! Extend it out and you'll discover that rather than running parallel to each other, the front tires will scrub over 1/4-mile sideways during every 100 miles of driving! Incorrect toe will rob you of tire life.

Bob&Patty

I gave never looked into this but, I know you set the toe different on a RWD than FWD vehicle. So if your TV is a 4WD...does the tow get set different??

Bones

OK I had time today and spent three hours sitting at the shop while my tires were all dismounted re mounted and my alignment checked. It was a good thing I just had the shop do the rotation because I asked them to look at the alignment it was way off he told me and he said this was off straight from the factory. He also said they see it a lot because the factory doesn't really align the wheels. So just a heads up if you notice weird wear have your tires aligned. Here are my results.

scan 2.jpg

Last edited:

IronJ

Not surprising....when I used to work as a mechanic we used the hunter system and later another laser based system I can't recall the name of...

Problem was that manufactures usually have a spec as well as a "tolerance" for that spec...and as long as it's in "tolerance" it's green lighted...

I have run into EXACT same issue with my wife's bmw x5's..

Bad wear on outside of BOTH front tires...of course under warranty so I take it back and tell em it ain't right...they put thier super computer on and it says they are "in spec"...

Finally I get a half smart tech...I tell him instead of using the middle of the spec to use the minimum...i think it was the toe we were fighting over...

So he says whatever it shouldn't matter as long as it's in spec./tolerance...

But lo and behold the SECOND set of 900$ tires is wearing even. And nice....

Point is, spec is good for most but not all...and even within that there is a tolerance range and it can make a significant difderence..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Bones

Not surprising....when I used to work as a mechanic we used the hunter system and later another laser based system I can't recall the name of...

Problem was that manufactures usually have a spec as well as a "tolerance" for that spec...and as long as it's in "tolerance" it's green lighted...

I have run into EXACT same issue with my wife's bmw x5's..

Bad wear on outside of BOTH front tires...of course under warranty so I take it back and tell em it ain't right...they put thier super computer on and it says they are "in spec"...

Finally I get a half smart tech...I tell him instead of using the middle of the spec to use the minimum...i think it was the toe we were fighting over...

So he says whatever it shouldn't matter as long as it's in spec./tolerance...

But lo and behold the SECOND set of 900$ tires is wearing even. And nice....

Point is, spec is good for most but not all...and even within that there is a tolerance range and it can make a significant difderence..

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

It makes you wonder sometimes. The shop I went to is a local shop around here that has a good reputation with tires and alignments. The nice thing they told me was to leave the measurements in the truck and to watch the tires. If they start showing wear again I can take it back and they will try different measurements. I think that is pretty much what happened to you. This may take some time so I will keep coming back here and post the results.

SNOKING

OK I had time today and spent three hours sitting at the shop while my tires were all dismounted re mounted and my alignment checked. It was a good thing I just had the shop do the rotation because I asked them to look at the alignment it was way off he told me and he said this was off straight from the factory. He also said they see it a lot because the factory doesn't really align the wheels. So just a heads up if you notice weird wear have your tires aligned. Here are my results.

View attachment 47451

So you went from .43 toe in which was .13 over the .30 high range to .21. If they are still wearing on the out side have them go closer to the minimum .10 number. That is what I posted earlier from my from. "Take most of the toe in out"! Chris