How to reset Norcold 1200 series refrigerator high temperature limit switch

David-and-Cheryl

I had to do this myself yesterday. While I was able to locate some vague hints that pointed me in the right direction, I couldn't find specific instructions, and it took a bit of trial and error. So I hope this step-by-step guide helps someone else out in resolving this common problem.

The high temperature limit switch is a safety device designed to shut down the refrigerator if the boiler overheats to avoid a catastrophic fire. Norcold issued a recall for refrigerators with a defective switch. The instructions below apply to refrigerators with the recall kit installed. These may be either refrigerators that were subject to the recall, or, like mine, refrigerators manufactured after the recall, which were apparently shipped with the recall kit pre-installed.

SYMPTOM: Norcold 1200 series (models 1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211) absorption refrigerator stops cooling, the unit beeps, and the refrigerator front panel display shows alternating "LI" and "oP" message, after a driving rain or washing your RV.

CAUSE: The Norcold recall kit is a black plastic box, about 2.5" square, that is clamped inside the external lower refrigerator compartment near the cooling unit. The box has a rectangular opening in one face of it, with a red LED and four wires attached to the partially exposed circuit board inside. Because the circuit board is exposed, water that gets in through the lower compartment vent can cause the high temperature limit switch to open, even though a high temperature condition doesn't actually exist.

CAUTION: RESET THE HIGH TEMPERATURE LIMIT SWITCH ONLY IF YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN THAT WATER ENTRY CAUSED THE SWITCH TO TRIP. (In my case, my wife reported that the refrigerator shut down and started beeping with the LI oP message while I was power-washing outside.) If it trips for any other reason, your refrigerator may have a serious problem, and you should have it inspected by a Norcold dealer before using it again.

TOOLS REQUIRED: Flat blade screwdriver and a magnet. The magnet needs to be moderately strong. I used a magnetic pickup tool from Lowe's, which says it can lift 3 pounds.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Leave the refrigerator turned on.
  2. Remove the lower refrigerator access compartment door on the outside of your RV.
  3. Locate the black plastic recall kit box. Confirm that the red LED is lit and not flashing. (If it's not lit, or it's flashing, you have a different problem, so these instructions don't apply.)
  4. If the recall kit box is not easily accessible, pull on it gently to remove it. It's held on by a simple spring clamp. Use caution as some of the wires leading to the box may be short, and you don't want to damage the circuit board by pulling on them too hard.
  5. Slide your flat-blade screwdriver into each of the three clips that hold the box cover onto the base to open the clips. Lift the cover off the base. Do not detach any of the wires attached to the circuit board--the board needs to be powered to reset the switch.
  6. Touch your hand and your magnet to the metal interior of the compartment to discharge any static electricity.
  7. Locate the reed switch on the circuit board. It is directly above the LED. It looks like a small black rectangular component, about 1/2" long and 1/8" wide, and the circuit board says "SWITCH" next to it. Here's a photo, although your circuit board may look slightly different as there are different revisions of the recall kit.
  8. Touch your magnet to the right end of the top of the reed switch and hold it there for about 5 seconds. (Avoid touching any other part of the circuit board.) This is the step I discovered by trial and error - simply moving the magnet around the switch won't do it; it takes prolonged contact at the right spot. When the switch resets, you may hear a faint click, and the red LED will go out.
  9. Go inside the RV and verify that the refrigerator is on, has stopped beeping, and the front panel display shows no messages.
  10. Wait 15-20 minutes to be sure that the refrigerator continues to operate normally. (I read some reports of the switch tripping again after a reset; this might be due to residual water remaining on the circuit board.)
  11. Line up the three clips on the recall box base with the cover, and press the cover into place so that the clips snap shut.
  12. Re-clamp the recall box in its original location. Ensure all the wires are firmly connected to the circuit board.
  13. Replace the lower refrigerator access compartment door.

If the limit switch trips again after performing these steps, I would suggest not resetting it, and instead having your refrigerator inspected by a qualified dealer.

Last edited:
What if the black plastic recall kit box does not have any lights on?

I had to do this myself yesterday. While I was able to locate some vague hints that pointed me in the right direction, I couldn't find specific instructions, and it took a bit of trial and error. So I hope this step-by-step guide helps someone else out in resolving this common problem.

The high temperature limit switch is a safety device designed to shut down the refrigerator if the boiler overheats to avoid a catastrophic fire. Norcold issued a recall for refrigerators with a defective switch. The instructions below apply to refrigerators with the recall kit installed. These may be either refrigerators that were subject to the recall, or, like mine, refrigerators manufactured after the recall, which were apparently shipped with the recall kit pre-installed.

SYMPTOM: Norcold 1200 series (models 1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211) absorption refrigerator stops cooling, the unit beeps, and the refrigerator front panel display shows alternating "LI" and "oP" message, after a driving rain or washing your RV.

CAUSE: The Norcold recall kit is a black plastic box, about 2.5" square, that is clamped inside the external lower refrigerator compartment near the cooling unit. The box has a rectangular opening in one face of it, with a red LED and four wires attached to the partially exposed circuit board inside. Because the circuit board is exposed, water that gets in through the lower compartment vent can cause the high temperature limit switch to open, even though a high temperature condition doesn't actually exist.

CAUTION: RESET THE HIGH TEMPERATURE LIMIT SWITCH ONLY IF YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN THAT WATER ENTRY CAUSED THE SWITCH TO TRIP. (In my case, my wife reported that the refrigerator shut down and started beeping with the LI oP message while I was power-washing outside.) If it trips for any other reason, your refrigerator may have a serious problem, and you should have it inspected by a Norcold dealer before using it again.

TOOLS REQUIRED: Flat blade screwdriver and a magnet. The magnet needs to be moderately strong. I used a magnetic pickup tool from Lowe's, which says it can lift 3 pounds.

INSTRUCTIONS:

2. Remove the lower refrigerator access compartment door on the outside of your RV.
  3. Locate the black plastic recall kit box. Confirm that the red LED is lit and not flashing. (If it's not lit, or it's flashing, you have a different problem, so these instructions don't apply.)
  4. If the recall kit box is not easily accessible, pull on it gently to remove it. It's held on by a simple spring clamp. Use caution as some of the wires leading to the box may be short, and you don't want to damage the circuit board by pulling on them too hard.
  5. Slide your flat-blade screwdriver into each of the three clips that hold the box cover onto the base to open the clips. Lift the cover off the base. Do not detach any of the wires attached to the circuit board--the board needs to be powered to reset the switch.
  6. Touch your hand and your magnet to the metal interior of the compartment to discharge any static electricity.
  7. Locate the reed switch on the circuit board. It is directly above the LED. It looks like a small black rectangular component, about 1/2" long and 1/8" wide, and the circuit board says "SWITCH" next to it. Here's a photo, although your circuit board may look slightly different as there are different revisions of the recall kit.
  8. Touch your magnet to the right end of the top of the reed switch and hold it there for about 5 seconds. (Avoid touching any other part of the circuit board.) This is the step I discovered by trial and error - simply moving the magnet around the switch won't do it; it takes prolonged contact at the right spot. When the switch resets, you may hear a faint click, and the red LED will go out.
  9. Go inside the RV and verify that the refrigerator is on, has stopped beeping, and the front panel display shows no messages.
  10. Wait 15-20 minutes to be sure that the refrigerator continues to operate normally. (I read some reports of the switch tripping again after a reset; this might be due to residual water remaining on the circuit board.)
  11. Line up the three clips on the recall box base with the cover, and press the cover into place so that the clips snap shut.
  12. Re-clamp the recall box in its original location. Ensure all the wires are firmly connected to the circuit board.

If the limit switch trips again after performing these steps, I would suggest not resetting it, and instead having your refrigerator inspected by a qualified dealer.

Clark2262

I did not have to remove the plastic cover. Just hold the magnet for a moment or two in a couple of locations around the bottom right corner, chant a few spiritual incantations, and the light goes out. Did it too many times since I was confident it was a false trip. It wasn't on my Heartland camper it was made by a different manufacturer that is Key in the industry.

Janie_.

This helped my husband and I fix our refrigerator, Thank you!! The exact same thing happened to us! He had power washed the RV and the fridge stopped working! Although it took us 3 days of horsing around and tons of trial & error until we found this post on the forum! Thank you so much!

INSTRUCTIONS:

rescard

This was a tremendous post! Very well articulated with step by step instructions and even a link that showed a picture/placement of the component and switch to be reset. The method of using a magnet at the precise spot was very clever. Well done and thank a bunch. Hopefully some day I can return the favor.

Jim.Allison

An interesting thing happened to me that may relate to this. We power washed our rig and got the high limit no user serviceable parts message too.

Background; I have never had satisfactory service from our unit, I accepted it because I thought that the higher Texas ambient temps were the cause of poor performance.

I don't know how, but following the reset procedure not only reset my Norcold, but the thing began to perform. I just got back from a 4k mile trip involving all types of weather and ambient temps, once again entering Texas at well over 100-degree weather and the unit operated flawlessly.

I'm scratching my head in wonder as to how this reset may have increased the performance. I have heard people say that these units are supposed to perform in most ambient temps, and unlike before it now does.

Bill61

Good thread, one thing missing is what constitutes a strong magnet. Several posts talk about using flashlights with magnets on the end, magnets on a stick, making sure the magnet is on the right side of the switch on the circuit board, rotating the magnet, holding it there for 3, 10, 60 seconde, etc. None of those worked for me, but the magic bullet was a 22 lb horseshoe style magnet held over the length of the switch. It reset immediately using that. It now has a perm home in my MH tool box for use after clumsy washings 😊.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Good thread, one thing missing is what constitutes a strong magnet. Several posts talk about using flashlights with magnets on the end, magnets on a stick, making sure the magnet is on the right side of the switch on the circuit board, rotating the magnet, holding it there for 3, 10, 60 seconde, etc. None of those worked for me, but the magic bullet was a 22 lb horseshoe style magnet held over the length of the switch. It reset immediately using that. It now has a perm home in my MH tool box for use after clumsy washings .

My magnet...
0832d4de8cd300532b7d6d87d3d342ba.jpg

From Tractor Supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ofus

My refrigerator quit working early this morning the display showed the li op message, I have a 2016 Big Horn equipped with the Norfolk 2118xx refrigerator, so I used the magnet reset hack and the refrigerator started working sort of... I noticed the three fans at the back of refrigerator aren't working and these fans get power from the limit switch, also, before I did the reset, we turned the refrigerator back on it would work for a few seconds the li-op message would come back, the interesting thing is the led on limit switch would turn on then go off after 10 to 15 seconds, but refrigerator was still not working, I have Rev E limit switch. Will try to get a service tech out here Monday to check it out.

rhodies1

When you tried the reset on the limit switch,was your frig on or did you have it shut off during the switch reset.

2ofus

When you tried the reset on the limit switch,was your frig on or did you have it shut off during the switch reset.
I had it turned off and unpluged from AC before I tried the reset. Some how I lost DC power. I'm checking fuses now.

2ofus

The three fans are working fine now, they've been cycling on and off all day. The thermostatic switch must be doing its job. I've not been in an area where the temps are cool enough that I notice this happening before. Thanks for the response rhodes1 we really appreciate it safe travels.

Edmundaz

Update. I used one of those magenets that is about 1/2" in diameter that is on an extendable wand for picking up nuts and bolts. It worked great

I also have a REV E. I was hooking up the ice maker line and water sprayed in the area. Pretty sure that cased the issue. So far I haven't been able to get the switch to reset. Going to buy a stronger magnet Any other opitions? leaving on a trip in three days:confused:

Thanks

Ben Edmund
480-800-9604
Gilbert, AZ

Last edited:

to di

INSTRUCTIONS:

Thank You so very much for the info worked like a charm on my unit

INSTRUCTIONS:

Tim & Em
This happen to me when I defrosted the freezer in our Norcold 1200 series refrigerator. Turned it off and defrosted it. When I started it back up, after a short time my wife said she heard something beeping. I noticed 'LI oP' on front panel of refrigerator. The manual said that code was 'high temperature limit switch open'. Searching online for this error code, I found this post of David and Cheryl's comments on heartlandrv.com for the solution to my problem. I removed the exterior panel for access to the rear of the refrigerator and there it was, the black plastic box, about 2.5" square. The red light was on so I proceeded to open the black box. These instructions were written in very good detail. The 3 plastic clips holding the cover on the black box were a little difficult to open until I slid a small flat-blade screwdriver into the front of each of the three clips that hold the box cover onto the base, then I could push the clips out of the lock position to remove the black box cover. After touching the metal casing with hand and magnet to release static electricity, I used a small 1/2 magnet placed on the right side of the switch, about 1/2" long and 1/8" wide, and after about 3 seconds I heard a click and the red light went out. David or/or Cheryl must be engineers because of the attention to detail. They were angels for us today!
Thank you for posting this. It help get our refrigerator back up and running in short order. Your post made our day.
2014 Heartland Landmark, Key Largo

jsilva617

Thank you so much for posting this! It worked. When I looked up the "Li oP" code in the manual it said not user serviceable. I knew the answer had to be out there.
Luckily we did not have to remove the cover because it was placed in an awkward spot. We were able to connect the magnet to the left of the red light. After about 7 seconds, we heard the click and the light turned off. Its been two hours and everything is running as it should.
We had crazy rain and wind today so the "driving rain" aspect made sense.

Weshunt10

INSTRUCTIONS:

I have the L1op code with a blinking (once per second) red led on the limit switch. Research indicates that means low voltage. At my battery, I show 13.1 volts. At the control board I show 12.9 volts. When I disconnect the wire and plug it back up, the refrigerator kicks on for about 5 seconds and then shuts off and the light starts blinking again. When I do this, I show voltage momentarily drop to 12.7 at the control board as soon as it starts running. Then it goes back to 12.9 until and after it kicks off.

Any clue what I can check or do? I’m really trying to avoid the dealership service department. Last time it was in for an a/c replacement, they kept it for 4 months.

Thanks in advance

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have the L1op code with a blinking (once per second) red led on the limit switch. Research indicates that means low voltage. At my battery, I show 13.1 volts. At the control board I show 12.9 volts. When I disconnect the wire and plug it back up, the refrigerator kicks on for about 5 seconds and then shuts off and the light starts blinking again. When I do this, I show voltage momentarily drop to 12.7 at the control board as soon as it starts running. Then it goes back to 12.9 until and after it kicks off.

Any clue what I can check or do? I’m really trying to avoid the dealership service department. Last time it was in for an a/c replacement, they kept it for 4 months.

Thanks in advance
Read through this thread in entirety. Use a magnet as discussed in various posts

Weshunt10

Read through this thread in entirety. Use a magnet as discussed in various posts
I did read through the whole thread including instruction 3 that says if your light is blinking these steps will not work.

I did try the magnet before I found this thread though.

Just hoping someone else has had the same variant of the problem as me and can offer some insight.