Satellite TV

smrkelley

We're considering a satellite tv system for home and rv. Our preference is to use the satellite system at home with a permanent receiver and take the service with us when we travel with a permanent mounted receiver on the rv with an auto one button set up for the satellite system and turn on the tv. Our Bighorn is prewired for a satellite system from the factory.

Anyone have experience doing this? Or should we plan on getting a system for the rv only? If so, can the service be turned off and on so we only pay for service when we travel?

What are the pros/cons between dish and direct networks? What type of a permanent mounted receiver do you suggest? Why? If you've been in Mexico were you able to receiver service?

We are interested in tips and tricks as we travel into the world of tv by satellite.lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SNOKING

We're considering a satellite tv system for home and rv. Our preference is to use the satellite system at home with a permanent receiver and take the service with us when we travel with a permanent mounted receiver on the rv with an auto one button set up for the satellite system and turn on the tv. Our Bighorn is prewired for a satellite system from the factory.

Anyone have experience doing this? Or should we plan on getting a system for the rv only? If so, can the service be turned off and on so we only pay for service when we travel?

What are the pros/cons between dish and direct networks? What type of a permanent mounted receiver do you suggest? Why? If you've been in Mexico were you able to receiver service?

We are interested in tips and tricks as we travel into the world of tv by satellite.lol

Dish is better at letting you change your location to receive the local channels as you travel. We have had Directv for years and switching twice a year is no problem and as a snowbird this works fine.

Here is a link to the antennas. Chris

http://www.winegard.com/travler

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have Dish and and a Winegard Carryout antenna and have been very satisfied with them.The Carryout is an automatic antenna that finds the satellites and locks onto them. the problem with this antenna is that it only locks onto one satellite, limiting viewing on a second television.

The problem that I am aware of with using your home service when out in the RV is that if there is someone at home watching TV, you cannot change the locals on the service without effecting the home service. Whoever is watching television at home may not care to see the local channels where you are.

smrkelley

We have Dish and and a Winegard Carryout antenna and have been very satisfied with them.The Carryout is an automatic antenna that finds the satellites and locks onto them. the problem with this antenna is that it only locks onto one satellite, limiting viewing on a second television.

The problem that I am aware of with using your home service when out in the RV is that if there is someone at home watching TV, you cannot change the locals on the service without effecting the home service. Whoever is watching television at home may not care to see the local channels where you are.
Thanks. That's good to know! We'd like to have local channels.

smrkelley

What about recording on another satellite? Our is it only on a different channel and same satellite?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We don't record anything. I know that the Carryout antenna requires a 211 series receiver box which may nt be compatible with what you need to record.

smrkelley

We don't record anything. I know that the Carryout antenna requires a 211 series receiver box which may nt be compatible with what you need to record.
Thanks. This is very helpful.

SNOKING

You might also study spot beaming. They spot beam the locals in large circles of several hundred miles. We have the Directv SWM setup with the larger slimline dish. It uses a single coax to the dish and supports up to 8 receiver channels. So our HDDVR Genie uses 5 channels, leaving 3 more for other tv's. We have a two channel HDDVR in the bedroom, so we are currently using 7 receiver/channels. With Directv Whole Home we can record and watch stuff across both boxes.

Chris

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We have Dish network at home (The hopper) 2 main boxes and 4 Joey's for office, garage, patio, and master bedroom.
We love the hopper system.
Then on the RV we used the king traveler for a while and was not really happy with it. It would always drop signal for one reason or another.
So I installed the Winegard Dish traveler on the roof and LOVE IT one of my favorite mods hands down. We hit 1 button and it does the rest.
I believe we pay $7.00 a month for that 211 box and another $7.00 for the Wally we put in the bedroom. No real advantage to the Wally except the remote is RF so it's supposed to work through cabinet doors. Mines kinda sketchy.

Of course the down fall to the permanently mounted dish is trees and obstruction.
But so far for us in the last 7 months and many many trips we have not had one problem getting a signal. Yet !!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

osims

bsims
We use Dish with the Hopper and Joey system at home and same in RV and use 3 LNB dish with RV4TV.com tripod. Once you get used to pointing the dish it's really a pretty simple operation and you have whole house DVR and all prime time records.

MikeR

We use Dish with the Hopper and Joey system at home and same in RV and use 3 LNB dish with RV4TV.com tripod. Once you get used to pointing the dish it's really a pretty simple operation and you have whole house DVR and all prime time records.

I do exactly the same! Can watch different stations on either TV, at the same time, and they don't have to be from the same satellite. Dish makes it extremely easy to get local channels wherever we are. We also carry both western and eastern arc LNBs with us.

Gaffer

I have Direct and have never had an issue getting local channels whenever I move to another spot beam area.

smrkelley

Thanks Everybody! This is really great information. Does anyone know how to find the heartland owners manual written by heartland owners?

danemayer

Thanks Everybody! This is really great information. Does anyone know how to find the heartland owners manual written by heartland owners?

Owner-written user guides can be found by clicking on the TOOLS Tab above and selecting HUG - Heartland User Guides, or by clicking this link.

There are also a few troubleshooting guides at this link.

And the entire collection of manufacturer manuals is here.

SNOKING

No real advantage to the Wally except the remote is IR so it's supposed to work through cabinet doors. Mines kinda sketchy.

I think you mean RF (Radio Frequency). IR is line of sight. We are running two Direct HDDVRs one is a cabinet and the other in the closet with the remotes and receivers set to RF mode. Chris

farside291

We have DirecTV at home and take the system with us on the road all the time. As for locals I use the DTV app to find the location of the local TV stations and raise the OTA antenna for local station access. Just switch inputs on the TV to watch the local stations. The exception is no local station access on the bedroom TV because of the coax switch over in the front closet. But that doesn't affect the living room TV.