No more powdercoat on the frame. What?????

winterton

Our new 2017 Landmark Newport has survived a trip to Indio in California and all went well. Just noticed the frame and hitch are rusting and when I contacted Heartland, was informed they no longer powdercoat these items. Our 2012 had zero rust after four years so we are wondering what would be a good treatment or paint to apply to stop the rust.

Your comments appreciated as always.

rhodies1

Our new 2017 Landmark Newport has survived a trip to Indio in California and all went well. Just noticed the frame and hitch are rusting and when I contacted Heartland, was informed they no longer powdercoat these items. Our 2012 had zero rust after four years so we are wondering what would be a good treatment or paint to apply to stop the rust.

Your comments appreciated as always.

Tremclad Rust Paint

NHCelt

My 2016 Bighorn looked like it was painted with a magic marker. I painted all exposed frame with Rustoleum semi gloss black and all non-painted exposed metals (axles etc.) with Fluid Film. Not a big project but should make a big difference in the long run.

Read HL Stop Powder Coating Frames?

Howdy Folks,

I thought I read somewhere that a Landmark owner made a comment and others concurred that on Landmark HL was no longer powder coating the frame? If LM I would think this would also include other HL brands.

Did I dream this or am I mistaken and if not what process has replaced PC?

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Read HL Stop Powder Coating Frames?

I'm looking at a. Bighorn brochure and it says "Strong 12" I-beam frame with rust prohibitive coating".
It doesn't state what that coating is.
Might be a question best answered by the factory.

Peace
Dave

T

TomMontague

Bighorn Frames

All our frames come powder coated from LCI. It's designed to protect against rust, cracking and chips. It's a prohibitor not a preventer. We highly recommend you take care of the frame much like you do with the exterior sidewalls. Please make sure to wash with a mild soap as needed, especially after winter trips or trips where road salt might be used.

Hope this helps.

Thx Tom

Sorry tried to respond to your post but an error occurred so I started a new thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

Thumbs up to Tom. Thanks for getting us the straight skinny on all of our issues and questions. Admitted might not like them all but at least it's the real deal. 😉

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This is what the bottom of our 2015 Prowler looked like less than three months from it's date of birth:

ProwlerFreshDrain-P1000181.jpg ProwlerDrains-P1000175.jpg

I've seen 15 year old cars and trucks from Michigan and Wisconsin with less rust on them . . .

CoveredWagon

This is what the bottom of our 2015 Prowler looked like less than three months from it's date of birth:

View attachment 50582 View attachment 50583

I've seen 15 year old cars and trucks from Michigan and Wisconsin with less rust on them . . .

Ouch !!! I understand you concern. I hate the thought of swinging a paint brush under a new Rv, but maybe that's what will have to happen. You don't have to tell me about MI and salt, I've fought that since the 60s.

danemayer

John,

Axle and springs are not supplied as part of the frame, and are not powder coated. Neither is the iron pipe that carries propane.

CoveredWagon

John,

Axle and springs are not supplied as part of the frame, and are not powder coated. Neither is the iron pipe that carries propane.

I noticed that was what he'd shown. I wonder what the frame looks like. Treating the axles wouldn't be bad. I am surprised at the springs though. Most springs are heavily coated when built, at least in the automotive and truck world. Well they used to be when I was in that field. My most concern would be the spring hangers. Those I would be sure were treated.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Ouch !!! I understand you concern. I hate the thought of swinging a paint brush under a new Rv, but maybe that's what will have to happen. You don't have to tell me about MI and salt, I've fought that since the 60s.

I was born in 1960 in Michigan and spent 33 of my almost 57 years there.

- - - Updated - - -

John,

Parts of the frame looked like that, too.

I just didn't take any photos of it.

The photos I posted were for something different (fresh tank drain), but did show the rust on a few things..

mixie57

So does all those parts have to be primed, sanded, etc, before spraying or brushing on paint?

NHCelt

So does all those parts have to be primed, sanded, etc, before spraying or brushing on paint?

If using fluid film on axles etc, only heavy scale has to be removed. The product will seal and stop rusting. It is lanolin based and you will have to apply periodically...depending on how much you tow through heavy weather. A few spray cans will do the axles, hangers etc.

Rustoleum claims the same, but I would treat with their ruststop product before their paint. Black semi gloss spray is a pretty good match for the factory frame paint.

I thought about taping everything off, but instead used a spray shield...stealing one of those thin flexible cutting boards from the kitchen draw...worked great.

wdk450

If using fluid film on axles etc, only heavy scale has to be removed. The product will seal and stop rusting. It is lanolin based and you will have to apply periodically...depending on how much you tow through heavy weather. A few spray cans will do the axles, hangers etc.

Rustoleum claims the same, but I would treat with their ruststop product before their paint. Black semi gloss spray is a pretty good match for the factory frame paint.

I thought about taping everything off, but instead used a spray shield...stealing one of those thin flexible cutting boards from the kitchen draw...worked great.

You can get some of those thin, flexible plastic cutting boards at Dollar Tree - A 2 pack costs a dollar.

T

TomMontague

Re: Bighorn Frames

All our frames come powder coated from LCI. It's designed to protect against rust, cracking and chips. It's a prohibitor not a preventer. We highly recommend you take care of the frame much like you do with the exterior sidewalls. Please make sure to wash with a mild soap as needed, especially after winter trips or trips where road salt might be used.

Hope this helps.

Thx Tom

Sorry tried to respond to your post but an error occurred so I started a new thread.

A can ( or two ) of Rustoleum might just be the ticket. That's what I used on my boat trailer and it worked great. Keep in mind the axles are from Dexter and the frame is from LCI. I know a lot of folks like to come down on LCI but it looks as if both are about the same. Sometimes you see that early on and it's almost 100 percent because the salt from winter gets it. That stuff is bad news and has to be cleaned off asap.

Not just from the owner and their trips but when Heartland delivers the trailer from the factory to the dealer. We put a special emphasis on this in the winter but it's impossible to make sure everyone is doing it.

Hope this helps.

Talk soon

Tom

CDN

B and B
I just picked up my Bighorn Saturday to delay travelling in salted roads. Build date was 9/26/16. It was delivered prior to salt on our roads up here in Ontario. It is clean and rust free. I looked at a Big Country delivered in February of 2016 and it was very rusty.

I did wash down the undercarriage when I got home to make sure. Frame looks great on my Bighorn.

Brian