Landmark 365 Dexter EZ-Flex Suspension

kdubinwa

When I've parked the trailer for storage, I first use the auto level. After that, I lift front, then lift the rear. Alternating every 1 degree of deviation.
I have had instances when I lifted the trailer high enough for the tires not to touch the ground. There have been times when lowering the trailer so the tires contact the ground, the shackles violently flip back with a loud bang. Other times no noise and the shackles are up.
My trailer has less than 3,000 miles in 4 months; and I purchased it 5 months ago.
Nothing is worn and the tru-tracks are lubed. Just the nature of the beast for me.

Yep, I had the BANG happen when I was lowering my trailer. I'll be more careful when raising it.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just greasing my suspension and had the right rear bolt not taking grease. So I powered on the Level-up and raised the entire RV off the ground. Of course after doing that the bolt took the grease no problem.
But I was looking at my equalizer and shackles, and they aren't even close to being able to flip.
That's odd that so many people have had them flip. I guess if you were on unlevel ground and 1 axle was higher than the other when you lifted it I could see it happening.
Just odd 🤔

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Did you install shackles with grease fittings or are you referring to the Ez-flex equalizer?

dave10a

In my case the front axle shackles were in the correct position and the rear axle shackle had flipped. So with the wheels on the ground the the equalizer was tilted down towards the front of the trailer. My reasoning was I needed to get the equalizer more level or in a tilted up position (in relation to the front of the trailer) so the rear shackle had room to rotate into the correct position. By putting blocks under the front tires on both sides (in my case one 2 x 8 each side worked) the front axle tires contacted the ground first. This caused the equalizer to tilt up before the rear tires contacted the ground, giving room for the shackles to flip back into the correct position. If the front axles was the one that had flipped into the wrong position the the process would be reversed. Thicker blocks way me needed as well. I tried several times to flip the shackles back into the correct position by raising and lowering the tires off the ground, which didn't work. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. This was all done using level-up.

That is the correct way to do it. My boat trailer shackles would flip sometime when I launched the boat because the wheel/axles would become unloaded when using some boat launch ramps. I do not believe this is an unusual event and happens when the wheel are hanging unloaded and then loaded when the trailer is not level. I suspect it also depends if the shocks do not limit the axle travel-- It does not have anything to do with wear and is simply the nature of the beast.

oldelmer1

I'll have to remember and try putting boards under the good axle next time and see what happens.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

busted2341

I have to ask here. Can you raise one side at a time to lube the wheels? It's time I greased the bearings and I found on YouTube that on Dexter Axles you can just push the old grease out with the new. Keeps from pulling the wheel and pulling bearings. However, how do you know if you have the axles that allow this?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes and don't do it !!!
Yes you can pick up 1 side at a time until it stops. I found sometimes it will and sometime it will stop and say over extended or something like that.

Don't use the easy lube to grease like you suggested. You will just blow the rear seal out the back and it will get all over your brake shoes. Trust me...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ldo

How often or miles do you guys repack your wheel bearings? I have a 3270 that weights 15500 lbs with Dexter axles. Total miles per year is 12000 give or take a little. Thanks in advance, ldo

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

How often or miles do you guys repack your wheel bearings? I have a 3270 that weights 15500 lbs with Dexter axles. Total miles per year is 12000 give or take a little. Thanks in advance, ldo

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I'm going 10k to 15k just to be safe. It's good preventative maintenance that will hopefully keep you rolling down the road and not sitting on the side of it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk