Solved.. Cyclone - Rolling in rear (not back) awning blows fuse

Riski

Greetings:

I am having a little frustration troubleshooting my rear (not back) awning. When I try to roll up the awning the fuse blows. It works fine when I roll it out. all of the other awnings work fine until I try to roll up this awning. I've had an electrician come and test and the circuits seems to be ohming out consistently. I replaced the motor to the awning because it did not seem to be ohming out properly and once replaced it did. This would lead me to believe there is a short somewhere with the wiring to roll up the awning but without a schematic it is diifcult to know where too go from here. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

danemayer

Re: ATF: Cyclone - Rolling in rear (not back) awning blows fuse

Typically the switch uses the same wires to send power in one polarity when pressed to extend, and in the other polarity when pressed to retract. Since the fuse NEVER blows when extending, and only blows when retracting, and since you've replaced the motor, I would think 1) the wiring is probably not shorted, or the fuse would blow when extending, 2) the switch would be the next to replace.

You might inspect the backside of the switch. When taking it away from the wall, start by taking a picture in case wires come off while working on it.

You might try swapping switches with one for an awning that's working. Again, start by taking a clear picture so you can get wires back in the right place.

Attachments

• DPDT DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg
    DPDT DC-motor-reversing-switch-schematic-wiring-diagram-285x275.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 15

Riski

Re: ATF: Cyclone - Rolling in rear (not back) awning blows fuse

Typically the switch uses the same wires to send power in one polarity when pressed to extend, and in the other polarity when pressed to retract. Since the fuse NEVER blows when extending, and only blows when retracting, and since you've replaced the motor, I would think 1) the wiring is probably not shorted, or the fuse would blow when extending, 2) the switch would be the next to replace.

You might inspect the backside of the switch. When taking it away from the wall, start by taking a picture in case wires come off while working on it.

You might try swapping switches with one for an awning that's working. Again, start by taking a clear picture so you can get wires back in the right place.

Thank you. We actually did find the problem. The wire was pinched in the scissor arm of the awning.