Removable power cord

eddylives

We just set up the new rig on our site today.
It came with a power cord that is no longer attached to the rig permanently (50 AMP)
This new cord plugs into the wall of the trailer and has a threaded ring to keep it in place.
How can this cord be kept secure?
Very easy for someone to just unplug it and walk away with it.

Is there something I have not seen yet for locking it or a home made method of securing the trailers power cord?

wdk450

We just set up the new rig on our site today.
It came with a power cord that is no longer attached to the rig permanently (50 AMP)
This new cord plugs into the wall of the trailer and has a threaded ring to keep it in place.
How can this cord be kept secure?
Very easy for someone to just unplug it and walk away with it.

Is there something I have not seen yet for locking it or a home made method of securing the trailers power cord?

Although the 50 amp cord has a lot of copper wire in it, and costs a pretty penny to replace, in 8 my years on this forum, visiting with other RVers, and other interactions, I have NEVER heard of ANYONE having their power cord stolen. There is a lot more concern for the portable electrical management surge protectors that people plug the power cord into. They sell locking devices for those. Generators, coolers and other misc. items left outside the trailer sometimes disappear. Some people buy something like this to lock up their stuff: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ULg_SR9teO9Pgp_U1sXiAPeW6IMjZl1ENcaAs118P8HAQ

But then some lowlifes buy something like this to cut locking devices: http://www.searshometownstores.com/...lW2me4jATynVkE10kembC_hUdphriVp5WMaAgk88P8HAQ

eddylives

Although the 50 amp cord has a lot of copper wire in it, and costs a pretty penny to replace, in 8 my years on this forum, visiting with other RVers, and other interactions, I have NEVER heard of ANYONE having their power cord stolen. There is a lot more concern for the portable electrical management surge protectors that people plug the power cord into. They sell locking devices for those. Generators, coolers and other misc. items left outside the trailer sometimes disappear. Some people buy something like this to lock up their stuff: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...ULg_SR9teO9Pgp_U1sXiAPeW6IMjZl1ENcaAs118P8HAQ

But then some lowlifes buy something like this to cut locking devices: http://www.searshometownstores.com/...lW2me4jATynVkE10kembC_hUdphriVp5WMaAgk88P8HAQ

Hahaha I have to laugh at the summit lock you linked to......the new rig comes with an almost identical unit mounted to the A frame
But its only bolted down with two highly visible easily accessible bolts.....I am almost certain they are sheet metal screws lmao.

And its good to hear that the cords are not a hot item to walk

danemayer

Hahaha I have to laugh at the summit lock you linked to......the new rig comes with an almost identical unit mounted to the A frame
But its only bolted down with two highly visible easily accessible bolts.....I am almost certain they are sheet metal screws lmao.

And its good to hear that the cords are not a hot item to walk
We had one of those locks on our rig when it was new that we used to secure bikes.

It was mounted with one-way bolts. After a couple of years the spring mechanism failed. To remove it I had to grind the heads off the mounting bolts.

As with most security, if a determined thief wants your stuff, they'll get it. But you can deter the casual or opportunistic thief.

eddylives

Canada has a shortage on power cords? :cool:

No nothing on the news about it lol.
I am just concerned because it is almost as easy as unplugging it and walking away.
I can only imagine the cost to replace a power cord for this new rig and it would irk me off to no end to get there and find it has walked.
The sad thing is there are groups of opportunists out there that snag easy items to support their habits selling them on places like Kijiji and such.
In Thunder Bay ON we have had a serious issue with those LED light bars being literally ripped off of vehicles.....right in busy store parking lots they have walked.

- - - Updated - - -

We had one of those locks on our rig when it was new that we used to secure bikes.

It was mounted with one-way bolts. After a couple of years the spring mechanism failed. To remove it I had to grind the heads off the mounting bolts.

As with most security, if a determined thief wants your stuff, they'll get it. But you can deter the casual or opportunistic thief.

I agree....
Locks are for honest people and opportunists
A determined true thief will bypass many security attempts to have whats yours.

wdk450

No nothing on the news about it lol.
I am just concerned because it is almost as easy as unplugging it and walking away.
I can only imagine the cost to replace a power cord for this new rig and it would irk me off to no end to get there and find it has walked.
The sad thing is there are groups of opportunists out there that snag easy items to support their habits selling them on places like Kijiji and such.
In Thunder Bay ON we have had a serious issue with those LED light bars being literally ripped off of vehicles.....right in busy store parking lots they have walked.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree....
Locks are for honest people and opportunists
A determined true thief will bypass many security attempts to have whats yours.

When I served in a high security activity in the Navy, we had huge, heavy, file cabinets with combination locks and heavy steel construction for the security of the documents within. These filing cabinets all had a rating plate as to how many hours it would take to break into them using different methods (gas torch, Xray). The moral is: physical security devices are only a delay factor, not an absolute barrier.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We stayed in an rv park at the edge of I-20 for about 6 months. We were on the "backside", a newer part about a block from the service road. Sadly, the owners had to close the park after owning it about 2 years, and it went up for sale. (We moved.) The Owners moved on to find work elsewhere. I noticed about 6 months after that, the site that was formerly ours, the power pedestal was trashed. I'm guessing someone decided the copper in it might be worth something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sure, someone could steal mine, but it's been left connected to the rig/pedestal from May to September since 2009 without growing feet. Since we leave some items in the fridge while we're gone for a week or more and leave the Fantastic Fan operational, unplugging it is not an option.

Now, first winter we stored the rig (2009/2010), we left the TV's in it. Those got stolen, along with 15 other rigs at the storage yard. Insurance covered them and the damage to the door.

I have a photo, rather gross, of how copper thieves should end up. Involves a primary line on a power pole, so you can guess the visual.