ATF: Landmark - Major water leak in dinette slide

randolu

We woke up to a lake in our camper this morning. Water was running out of the light above the dining table and 3 other spots in the front of the slide. The table and chairs as well as our power recliner where soak. The carpet was as well. After cleaning up the mess as well as I could I pulled in the slide as it started raining again. I got up on a ladder and looked at the top of the slide. I am very troubled by the fact that it is not sealed between the roof membrane and the side wall of the slide. There is an open gap! I am sure the roof material in the slide is soaked and will need to be replaced.....HELP!

danemayer

Could you post a picture that shows the gap - a close up and a shot a bit further away for context.

What kind of help are you looking for?

randolu

Could you post a picture that shows the gap - a close up and a shot a bit further away for context.

What kind of help are you looking for?

Is this normal that it is not sealed all the way to the sidewall of the slide? It seems like a "build" mistake.

randolu

2833_1498227933562.jpeg
Pictures would help people answer your question.
I am at work currently so will have to post one later.....however researching slide construction shows that the roof material (rubber) show wrap around to the inside and be stapled under the front interior trim molding. This roof material (rubber) does not even come flush with the inside wall!

*** The repair person I called just sent me this picture of what he is doing to help fix the problem for now. That is how big a gap there is between the rubber and the side wall (inside) where the rubber should be wrapped around an stapled underneath the inside trim moldings. ***

Last edited:

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
Had this same problem in the same slide about 3 mths ago.The service man found that the slide roof was 1/4 inch lower in the middle and the roof was not sealed where it made up to the frame. They sealed it and no more leaks.

randolu

Had this same problem in the same slide about 3 mths ago.The service man found that the slide roof was 1/4 inch lower in the middle and the roof was not sealed where it made up to the frame. They sealed it and no more leaks.
You know I have said a couple times I thought the slide lower in the middle but was not sure if I was just seeing things because of the larger trim at the end corners of the slide. I am really troubled by the fact that the rubber roofing does not wrap around the inside lip!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Have you called HL service? If not, do it ASAP. Ask if their is any service center is in your area that can do a proper repair. If you are close to the plant...ask if you can take it their for repair.

Gary521

The picture is showing the gap between the inside trim fascia and the roof - is that correct? If it is, what is he filling the gap with?

revega

I had the same exact problem and repairs were made at Camping World. Luckily it was still under warranty. The ceiling on the slideout had to be replaced. As an extra precaution, Camping World also applied a permanent heavy duty tape were the trim and roof/membrane meet. I also use a level on top of the slideout roof to make sure the slope is outward when we open it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

revega

ec0cd1a080ba30caff41c88de81203bd.jpg

This is what mine looked like on top.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
ec0cd1a080ba30caff41c88de81203bd.jpg

This is what mine looked like on top.

While the caulk line is incomplete, two things could have possibly helped. The first and least expensive is to make sure the rubber seals are fully deployed (top and sides) when the slide is extended. If not, water can get past. Second are slide toppers. Properly installed, they will prevent other headaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wehavefun

Some units were produced with out bladders on the slide outs. I believe it was fairly short time line 6 months or so, but I have one. I had a temporary repair done at the rally by some AWESOME, KNOWLEDGEABLE workers.
Anthony, John and Chris had me fixed up and no time. That night it rained and no leaks. Very pleased.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We brought our new Cyclone 4150 home last night. I discovered this while measuring for slide toppers. I had the dealer replace the wipe seal on the left side of the same slide as it wasn't making contact for about a third of the length. The rest of the seals all appeared good.

Attachments

• slide seal.jpg
    slide seal.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 66

revega

While the caulk line is incomplete, two things could have possibly helped. The first and least expensive is to make sure the rubber seals are fully deployed (top and sides) when the slide is extended. If not, water can get past. Second are slide toppers. Properly installed, they will prevent other headaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neither one helped in my case. I have the topper and the slide was fully extended. I had two problems:

1. When fully extended, the slide angle is inward.
2. The membrane was not all the way to the sidewall.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Odd. In almost 9 years of use, there is little if any evidence of water under my slide toppers. And the slides remain extended from mid-May until late September. I do get up on a ladder and look at the rubber sweep on the top of them and make sure they have deployed correctly. Inside, I check the slide flanges are snug to the inner wall seals. If your slides have a noticeable slant, they are in need of adjustment. There is a manual for this in the Tools section if you want to tackle it. Good luck in getting the problem corrected.