How to Access the Underside of a Slide

AFMagnum

Hi, we have a 2018 Big Country 4010RD that the wife and I have been full timing in since May. We were sitting at the dining table (which is contained within its own slide) when we heard a loud snap followed by what sounded like debris hitting a floor. We looked all around and couldn't see where it came from. We also checked the floor to see if we could feel any soft spots or extra "give" in any areas, but didn't find anything as it all still felt pretty solid. I went outside but couldn't see anything obvious.

My best guess is whatever we heard is something undernieth the floor of the slide. Problem is, I don't see how I can get underneith the floor to inspect it. There's a panel covering the bottom of the slide but I can't see how it could be removed. Any suggestions on where to go from here? I'm afraid to put any weight in the slide or move it in/out until I know what the problem is.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Could it have been a chair or table part breaking or coming loose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Do you have the 6 pt leveling system? Could have been one of the jacks popping. This is a common problem. Don't see how it could be in the slide floor. It's pretty solid under there on mine.

AFMagnum

Do you have the 6 pt leveling system? Could have been one of the jacks popping. This is a common problem. Don't see how it could be in the slide floor. It's pretty solid under there on mine.

Oh, I didn't think of the jacks popping. We do have the 6-point leveling system. If that was the case, wouldn't we have felt the RV move?

smrkelley

Two of the frames with the rollers mounted inside on the bottom of my slide broke. I wonder if that may have been the noise you heard. After that the slide started tearing the linoleum.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

212Pilot

Two of the frames with the rollers mounted inside on the bottom of my slide broke. I wonder if that may have been the noise you heard. After that the slide started tearing the linoleum.

If you slide your finger under the gap seal on the bottom of the slide it is possible (not easy) to see the rollers. On the large slides there should be 4 or 5 rollers and they have metal brackets and hardware that hold the roller in the bracket. if its a slide that drops down level with the floor as it goes out you won't be able to see any thing with the slide open.

AFMagnum

Hmmm, I wonder if that was it. How did you get under the slide to access the rollers?

AFMagnum

If you slide your finger under the gap seal on the bottom of the slide it is possible (not easy) to see the rollers. On the large slides there should be 4 or 5 rollers and they have metal brackets and hardware that hold the roller in the bracket. if its a slide that drops down level with the floor as it goes out you won't be able to see any thing with the slide open.

We have the type that drops level when it's out. I wonder if I can bring the slide in just enough so it lifts up, then maybe I can try and peak under as you suggested. I'll give that a try.

AFMagnum

Well, I was convinced there was some sort of small void between the floor I stood on in the slide, and floor I could see underneath the slide; I was wrong. It is one solid piece of wood about 3" or more thick. There are no rollers, but instead one long strip of plastic the wood floor slides on when the slide comes in.

If it was the hydrolic jack popping, then it didn't actually move because the RV is still showing level and we didn't feel any movement at the time.

So, the mystery of the sound I heard goes unsolved but at least now I have more confidence moving the slide back in and out.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, I was convinced there was some sort of small void between the floor I stood on in the slide, and floor I could see underneath the slide; I was wrong. It is one solid piece of wood about 3" or more thick. There are no rollers, but instead one long strip of plastic the wood floor slides on when the slide comes in.

If it was the hydrolic jack popping, then it didn't actually move because the RV is still showing level and we didn't feel any movement at the time.

So, the mystery of the sound I heard goes unsolved but at least now I have more confidence moving the slide back in and out.

Was the awning out at the time? Maybe something fell on it?

Another thought -- maybe something fell inside the basement? Or behind the basement wall, which would be just below the bathroom?