Bad Smell!

Furious10

From the day we brought the Terry home, we have had a terrible smell in the medicine cabinet over the bedroom sink. I have scrubbed it out 4 or 5 times, tried putting an odor "eater" in there, and sprayed it with a fragrance. It still smells bad. When the door is closed, there is no smell around or near the cabinet. As soon as the door is opened, it stinks for about 2 minutes, then dissipates to only a slight smell. It is not something that was put in there by us...it has smelled that way from day 1 with no products in there. Anybody else? Any suggestions? :(

BobbyandGenee

From the day we brought the Terry home, we have had a terrible smell in the medicine cabinet over the bedroom sink. I have scrubbed it out 4 or 5 times, tried putting an odor "eater" in there, and sprayed it with a fragrance. It still smells bad. When the door is closed, there is no smell around or near the cabinet. As soon as the door is opened, it stinks for about 2 minutes, then dissipates to only a slight smell. It is not something that was put in there by us...it has smelled that way from day 1 with no products in there. Anybody else? Any suggestions? :(

That's odd.....no idea what else you can try. We have not had any issues like that. Our only mystery smell was the gray tank. We just filled it up and put a bunch of eco tabs in and let it sit a couple days. That solved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farside291

We had bad smells that seemed like it was coming from the cabinets, drawers everywhere. We replace the vents under the sink with good quality Studor Redi-vents and have not had another problem since. Suggest you try these and replace the cheap ones under the sinks, easy quick replacement, they just screw on. Or as a temporary fix place plastic bags over the existing ones and secure with a rubber band. That will tell you if it is the vents before you buy the new ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039OEMT4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Furious10

We had bad smells that seemed like it was coming from the cabinets, drawers everywhere. We replace the vents under the sink with good quality Studor Redi-vents and have not had another problem since. Suggest you try these and replace the cheap ones under the sinks, easy quick replacement, they just screw on. Or as a temporary fix place plastic bags over the existing ones and secure with a rubber band. That will tell you if it is the vents before you buy the new ones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039OEMT4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll check it out, thanks. But I'm wondering why it doesn't smell anywhere else? Just that one cabinet. Weird...

I checked directly under the sink in the rear of the trailer but found no vent. The Terry might be different from the big boys. When I get the chance I'll pull off the bottom panel and look there. I sniffed every cabinet, drain and sink we have; no smells in any, just that one cabinet. And, like I wrote, it was there at day 1; before we used anything in the trailer. Thanks for your reply...

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'll check it out, thanks. But I'm wondering why it doesn't smell anywhere else? Just that one cabinet. Weird...

I checked directly under the sink in the rear of the trailer but found no vent. The Terry might be different from the big boys. When I get the chance I'll pull off the bottom panel and look there. I sniffed every cabinet, drain and sink we have; no smells in any, just that one cabinet. And, like I wrote, it was there at day 1; before we used anything in the trailer. Thanks for your reply...

I am not familiar with your floorplan, but the Studor vent may not be directly under the sink. Find the vertical pipe that the sink drain connects to that goes to the tank. It will be sitting on top of it.

In my rig, it's under the cabinet adjacent to the sink. If you find it, remove it and make sure the rubber disk is flexible and not restricted or dried out.

Furious10

I am not familiar with your floorplan, but the Studor vent may not be directly under the sink. Find the vertical pipe that the sink drain connects to that goes to the tank. It will be sitting on top of it.

In my rig, it's under the cabinet adjacent to the sink. If you find it, remove it and make sure the rubber disk is flexible and not restricted or dried out.

Just a follow-up. I found the vent and it works perfectly, I did, however, replace it...no change. It is just that 1 cabinet...nowhere else in the trailer. I removed everything from the cabinet and completely cleaned it...again...for the 6th time. Still smells. I leave it open, except when travelling. That does dissipate the odor temporarily; but comes back when the cabinet door is closed. Don't know...guess we just have a smelly cabinet. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Outside chance you have a decaying mouse under the cabinet? They can smell bad for a while.

BobbyandGenee

Since this is a “dummy” cabinet nailed to the walls like the linen closet was in the bathroom, it is puzzling why that cabinet would have an order.

I was going to suggest checking to see if the odor was in the outside shower compartment, since it is right below that area. But all those components are in the bottom cabinet where there is no smell.

I sure hope no animal got into the wall or ceiling! That would not be good!

Furious10

Outside chance you have a decaying mouse under the cabinet? They can smell bad for a while.

The odor is in the upper cabinetserveimage (7).jpg. But to answer your question...I looked in the lower cabinet and even vacuumed there. Weird...

BobbyandGenee

My rig is in the shop, so just throwing ideas.

Does this cabinet attach to the walls like the linen closet did, with just 3” screws? If so, remove the cabinet from the rig. If the smell follows the cabinet then get your dealer to order a new one.

Furious10

My rig is in the shop, so just throwing ideas.

Does this cabinet attach to the walls like the linen closet did, with just 3” screws? If so, remove the cabinet from the rig. If the smell follows the cabinet then get your dealer to order a new one.

After camping season (we have 2 more), I will be doing that. Don't want to do it now...