Slide Out Bulb Seal Melting

lowellrb

I have a 2011 Big Horn 37 ft 5th Wheel. I am having a problem with the bulb seals ( not the wiper seals) melting. it seems to be the top seal and part way down the side.

I had the roof serviced, (cleaned and new UV protection applied). I was told the unit would need to be wash post the the roof service to keep from damaging the external service of the RV. This was done at the repair facility as part of the roof service. It is their opinion that all Heartland bulb seals melt due to manufacturer venue (China).

Is this unique to my unit or have others had this problem

danemayer

Hi lowellrb,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Seal problems like this seem to come up once in a while. I'm sure you'll get some feedback shortly from others who have had to replace their bulb seals.

sengli

The same thing is happening to my top bulb slide seal, on my large super slide. It looks as if it is melting in one spot. My theory is the slide isnt seating all the way in, and while traveling the slide itself "wiggles" enough to put wear on that bulb seal. I wiped my seal down, with silicon spray to make it wet and slippery. IMy rig is put away for the year, so next spring I will see what it looks like then.

I had mine replaced in Goshen by Heartland.
I could not figure out what caused it.
It does look like it's melting, gets really deformed and sticky.
I was thinking it was something I had done wrong.
I wash the rig with Dawn dish soap and treat with Silicon.
Now I know others are having same problem.

Hockster

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have just replaced my bulb seals for the same reason.
I've had the same thoughts as Sengli about the slide "wiggling" and constant friction causing the rubber to fail.
Anyway, I don't feel that it is unrealistic to be replacing parts on a 7 year old rig.
A repair facility will need to show me facts not opinions.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I had this happen to a number of my slide seals, too.

BTW, replacing just the bulb seal is a pretty easy job.

I was wondering what the rest of the RV world was experiencing with slide seals deteriorating, and did a websearch. One of the first hits I had talked about using a seal maintenance and lubrication conditioner spray. This website attributed most seal deterioration to UV damage from the sun.
http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-slide-out-seal-conditioner/

On edit: Here is another brand of slide seal conditioner: https://www.amazon.com/Protect-All-40015-Slide-Out-motorcycles/dp/B0027MBE9U

This site says to spray your rubber seals once every 8 weeks. https://maintainmyrv.com/rv-seals-and-slides/

Being that I have been in the sun intense West most of my Bighorn ownership, I am a little amazed the seals lasted as long as they did.
BTW, the bulb seals work to seal out water when the slides are IN; the flap seals help seal out water when the slides are OUT.

B

BouseBill

It's not just older rigs, replaced the "D" seals twice now on oue 2015, LIKE cheap Chinese crap!they are!

SHOULD make some folks "feel" better LOL

Last edited:
B

BouseBill

I must admit I'm assuming for now, but if anyone has a better idea please let me know. Vibration I don't think is the problem, being full-ltimers and caretakers we only move twice a year, sometimes three, for a total of 3000 miles.....maybe. The "D" seals may be fine one month AFTER arriving at our destination and a few months later the passenger side, which is in the sun most of time is literally MELTING, and a real PITA to clean up. And yes I do use 303.
I might also suggest NOT ordering from Heartland because they are more expensive than other sources.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had a few of the bulb seals replaced when in Goshen at the National Rally in 2015 on our 2010 ElkRidge. They appeared to be melting, especially the ones on top of the slides (no slide toppers on our rig.)

Erika

wdk450

The other responses I have heard here (top of slides, Arizona sun) seem to support the UV Sun deterioration causation theory.

Oldelevatorman

I have 2 tops and 2 sides that are bad on my Newport after 8 months. Bought in Arizona so was in the sun baking for 3 months before we purchased it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

The seal that is the issue on our rig is the one on the top of the mega slide. Its only looking melted in one spot at the moment. It is sticky and gooey looking though. We have toppers and always have had them from day one, on all three slides. Looks like the replacement wouldnt be too bad, except the topper is in the way. Guess I will go to steelrubber.com in the spring,.

wrgrs50s

I had the same issue on my Sundance and ordered the replacements on amazon.

Apparently it's just another result of inferior products made on the cheap for the RV industry. Everything in my RV seems to be deteriorating at record speed. My couch/loveseat/air bed is fabric and every sewn seem is coming loose. My swivel rockers had all the faux leather peeling off within a few years so I bought a set of recliners from a friend who upgraded from his Bighorn and now they're peeling. Suspension parts wearing out, and the list goes on. I think the only requirement that the RV industry has, is that the product last a year for their warranty and then it's on the consumer.

On the bright side, it cant get any worse, so I manage to deal with it, fix what I can, and enjoy every campout with all my other RV friends that are in the same boat !!! LOL

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have seen the same thing on cars and trucks. Harsh sun and heat (UV) eats up foam seals. Nature of the beast.

mlpeloquin

I must admit I'm assuming for now, but if anyone has a better idea please let me know. Vibration I don't think is the problem, being full-ltimers and caretakers we only move twice a year, sometimes three, for a total of 3000 miles.....maybe. The "D" seals may be fine one month AFTER arriving at our destination and a few months later the passenger side, which is in the sun most of time is literally MELTING, and a real PITA to clean up. And yes I do use 303.
I might also suggest NOT ordering from Heartland because they are more expensive than other sources.

I have found Heartland prices cheaper until the shipping is added which makes them much more expensive. This has reminded me to order some. Mine have not melted, but are splitting. Time to replace. $83.16 for 35' with free shipping on Amazon.

gslabbert5119

Having a similar issue though I expected to replace my seals this year.

Which product is being recommended, going inferior here is not worth it, as water damage costs so much more to repair.

Gavin