Awning not sealed against camper

We just purchased our 2017 Gateway 3800 RLB used and got it set up the other day. It rained shortly after and my wife noticed that the main awning had a spot where it appears that it is not sealed against the camper, allowing water to leak through and down on top of our forward storage door. Looking at it at night, you can see the LED light strip also shows a "dip" away from the wall at the same spot. I haven't had a chance to climb up there in the day hours to look at it, hope to do this tomorrow weather permitting, but was wanting to know what is needed to properly repair this and how hard it would be.

Buying it used, the dealer has gone from responding in minutes prior to the purchase to silence... imagine that.

jimtoo

Hi Dogwoodfarms,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You most likely can just put some silicon or sealer there to stop the leak, but maybe some of our other members will jump in soon with a better answer for you. Please let us know what you do.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club, it’s free now. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you unit.
Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The edge of the awning along the wall is most likely held in a track of sorts. It's possible that it's pulled out at that point and needs to be pressed back into position. You might be able to see it from the roof, too, if you can get up there.

donr827

The edge of the awning along the wall is most likely held in a track of sorts. It's possible that it's pulled out at that point and needs to be pressed back into position. You might be able to see it from the roof, too, if you can get up there.

X2 also examine the track the awning runs in.
Don

rhodies1

We just purchased our 2017 Gateway 3800 RLB used and got it set up the other day. It rained shortly after and my wife noticed that the main awning had a spot where it appears that it is not sealed against the camper, allowing water to leak through and down on top of our forward storage door. Looking at it at night, you can see the LED light strip also shows a "dip" away from the wall at the same spot. I haven't had a chance to climb up there in the day hours to look at it, hope to do this tomorrow weather permitting, but was wanting to know what is needed to properly repair this and how hard it would be.

Buying it used, the dealer has gone from responding in minutes prior to the purchase to silence... imagine that.

There could be a number of reasons for the gap in the awning,first check to ensure the awning track is not pulled away from the camper,maybe some screws holding the track have pulled out of the wall or the heads have broken off,second check to see if the awning has pulled out of the track,if so ,you will need to get it back into the track,if it’s out of the track there’s a possibility the track is to wide at that point allowing the awning to pull out and lastly,check to see if the awning has torn where the water is leaking down the side of your unit.
Last tip,I would put a small bead of silicone caulking all the way along the awning track where it bolts to the wall,this track is screwed to the wall and is a point where water intrusion has a chance to enter,as we all know,water is he enemy.
Good luck in finding your problem.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
...the main awning had a spot where it appears that it is not sealed against the camper, allowing water to leak through and down on top of our forward storage door.

Mine pulled away like that, too.

Found that most of the screws were loose.

Tightened them up and all is good!

ProwlerAwningBefore-P6220987.jpg ProwlerAwningBefore-P6220990.jpg

ProwlerAwningAfter-P6221004.jpg ProwlerAwningAfter-P6221003.jpg

Found the culprit(s). The led lights apparently are in a track of themselves which is a thin metal that is easy to bend. How it got bent I don't know, but I pushed it back against the wall as best I can and it looks "better." Coincidence that it was the same place as the leak I guess. The railing is still against the camper and not pulled away. However, the caulking looks a little worn and I think that it needs a new bead. Any thoughts on the best type of caulk for this would be great. I also found that the "gutter" was leaking, again in the same place, were two separate pieces came together and the caulk used didn't quite fill the gap that was made, thus as the water level went higher, it would eventually run through the crack. I went to the local home store and purchased a caulk that could work in wet conditions and it worked... temporarily. We got another good rain yesterday and overnight and my wife said the leaks were back. I'm sure a sold 24 hours of no rain would help, but again, the best caulk for this would be greatly appreciated. I don't believe it is a place that calls for the self leveling stuff usually used on the roofs.