Spring hangers failed

Tree14

You should NOT have yo pay for this repair. Contact Heartland and NHSTB and file a complaint!!!

We had two of three tire blow (same side) and almost lost it all due to CHEAP tires for a 42' rig. We were not speeding, tires were inflated correctly and load was not heavy.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

212Pilot

The same happened to me last year. Rear Spring Hangers broke. Lippert paid for replacement and 60% on three tires that got damaged. Since then I upgraded to a wet bolt kit, Joy rider shocks, and added supports across from one side to the other to reinforce the spring hangers.

P1010695.jpg

rocrider50

The same happened to me last year. Rear Spring Hangers broke. Lippert paid for replacement and 60% on three tires that got damaged. Since then I upgraded to a wet bolt kit, Joy rider shocks, and added supports across from one side to the other to reinforce the spring hangers.

View attachment 58401

How has the hangers performed since the reinforcements were added. Still looking good?

rocrider50

Lippert just informed me that they would pay for the repair (haven't seen the check yet). All but $20 dollars of the repair (interesting) and $65 a tire for the damaged tires. The tires are $310 a piece so not exactly what the doctor ordered, but close. Lippert has been great to work with, responsive and understanding. Just wondering why they don't fix the issue. While camping this weekend I took a look at other tow hauler frames, all by Lippert. It was interesting that bumper pull toy haulers hauling less than 10k, had spring hangers that were twice as big????? Doesn't make sense, a toy hauler twice the size has half the strength. Metal thickness was less as well.

Found a Heartland Torque toy hauler that was failed as well at the same campground. The owners hadn't even noticed, left side tires were touching. Lippert had a welder come out for a temp fix. Check your frames people.

Az_Ernie

Retuning from Alberta, Canada last week, our RH rear spring hanger cracked and failed. We had stopped for lunch at a rest area and prior to departing, during my walk around, I found the broken spring hanger. The way this hanger failed, at first glance, the broken hanger would have been difficult to notice. We were at the same rally as Jim Beletti and saw the broken hanger he mentioned in his post above. Had I not seen the failed hanger at the rally, I would not have been inspecting our hangers so closely. Upon finding the failed hanger, I immediately called Heartland service as our trailer had just had frame repairs accomplished by Lippert at the service center in Elkhart, IN. To accomplish these repairs, LCI had to remove all the spring hangers and then reinstall (weld) them. Elaine Niece, from the Heartland Service Center received my call and immediately contacted LCI. LCI contacted a welding company in Great Falls, MT. (we were at a rest area 40 miles north of Great Falls, MT.) The welder inspected the other five hangers and found two other cracked hangers. The welder repaired the broken hanger and rewelded the other two cracked hangers and rewelded and reinforced all six hangers. Five hours later, we were back on the road again. We can't say enough how pleased we are with the sence of urgency and concern that Elaine Niece displayed in getting us quickly and safely on the road again. Also, a big "thank you" to LCI for stepping up and sending out and paying for the mobile welder.
20180626_122345.jpg
(Have no idea why pic is rotated or how to fix)

Last edited:

jbeletti

Ernie - thanks for detailing your issue and resolution. Happy to hear it got taken care of pronto. Looking at your picture, it looks like the spring hanger itself, broke at the bend vs a weld failure. Either way, same result. Hope Marie is back to 100% strength now. She owes some people some hugs :)

212Pilot

How has the hangers performed since the reinforcements were added. Still looking good?

We have had no problems with the spring hangars. Our trip up the ALCAN was almost un-eventful. We did break a rear leaf spring but that was quickly replaced.

PondSkum

I rolled under my rig this weekend to inspect my hangers, and all look fine. But these last few posts making me question whether I looked hard enough at them. Guess I'm going to get back under there and double check!!!

pjones1969

I rolled under my rig this weekend to inspect my hangers, and all look fine. But these last few posts making me question whether I looked hard enough at them. Guess I'm going to get back under there and double check!!!

Same here, everything looked fine but now I’m questioning myself :confused:

Az_Ernie

Yup, take a good look. One of my hangers was cracked at the interior radius of the hanger.

Gary521

I would speculate that the hangers are failing from a flex failure. MorRyde provides a cross member support for their SRE 4000 suspension system JUST to prevent flex failure of the equalizer support ( same as a spring hanger ). If you are getting flex there, would not you get some flex at the spring hangers too just under normal hard turning and backing situations. MorRyde makes the X Factor for hanger support, so maybe this is the best way to prevent this. I have recently seen some posts about wet bolt failure at the spring hangers. Perhaps the same thing is going on here.

rocrider50

Lippert check showed up in full, well almost. Repair was $2880 an they reimbursed me $2800. No explanation of difference. Oh well, mostly paid.

woyciog

I have a 2016 Edge 357 ED (dual axle) that has failed hangers and am awaiting repairs. The passenger side hangers are folded inward and up into the floor of the RV. The bottom of the RV frame came in contact with the top of the tires. Luckily my wife and I were traveling slowly due to road construction. When we came to a stop, the person behind me ran up and said my tires were smoking. All six hangers are bent with cracks where they are welded to the frame. Both equalizers are cracked and two tires ruined. I am very reluctant to replace the hangers and equalizers with the same parts - and go through this again. Any recommendations on upgrading to something stronger? Thanks.

rhodies1

If you go to a heavy duty truck repair facility you should be able to have a much stronger shackle installed compared to the original.if you take your unit to an RV shop,chances are you will get thei industry standard equipment.if you unit is not equipped with Mor Ryde or some other manufacturers rubber equalizer system,this maybe the time to upgrade,your suspension will need to be dropped in order to re weld on each hanger.
My preference is a truck repair shop versus RV dealer,they are used to repairing these types of situations much better than the kids at the RV shops.My opinion.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
If you go to a heavy duty truck repair facility you should be able to have a much stronger shackle installed compared to the original.if you take your unit to an RV shop,chances are you will get thei industry standard equipment.if you unit is not equipped with Mor Ryde or some other manufacturers rubber equalizer system,this maybe the time to upgrade,your suspension will need to be dropped in order to re weld on each hanger.
My preference is a truck repair shop versus RV dealer,they are used to repairing these types of situations much better than the kids at the RV shops.My opinion.
From the posts here and in other threads it appears that a majority of the failures have been with the "Correct Track" installation. These hangers have the sides "folded" to retain the position of the alignment discs. Welding end caps on the hangers, as shown in another thread on the subject, may be the easiest way to reduce the chance of another failure.

dave10a

My hanger was starting to crack at the weld and I caught it in time. My question is: what is Heartland doing to beef up the suspension. -- I am reading too many posts on this forum about suspension failures. I see other mfgs are beefing up their suspensions with cross members.

danemayer

I have a 2016 Edge 357 ED (dual axle) that has failed hangers and am awaiting repairs. The passenger side hangers are folded inward and up into the floor of the RV.

Can you post a picture to google drive or photobucket or some other website and link to it here (you may need a few more posts here before you can add photos directly).

I'm curious how the hangers could fold up into the floor of the RV.

carl.swoyer

Just had a close call yesterday. The rear spring hangers on my 2017 Cyclone 3800 failed and the trailer skidded sideways. Almost lost the rear axle and the entire rig. One of the welds is a cold/poor penetration weld. The rest failed when the axle went sideways. Its in a truck weld shop being fixed. Not sure what to say, not expecting a failure like this so soon. Check your spring hangers ASAP. Any advice on this $2770 repair, I'm out of warranty? I think Lippert (frame manufacture might cover it), not sure yet. Thank God that Alexander Welding was near by and knew how to fix it. Waiting to get it back.
CHECK your Hangers!

View attachment 58297
Just read your post. When it happened to me I submitted my claim to progressive insurance. They paid me

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk