What’s the best truck to pull a BIGHORN?

Friends, I’m truck shopping right now.
I have a Bighorn Fifth-wheel 16,000lb gross weight.
It would be moved rarely and we live in it full time in South Florida (city).
I been looking at different trucks - but am wondering what successes you all been having pulling heavy fifth wheels. What truck do you use? SRW? DRW? 4x4? 4x2? 350, 250, 3500?... etc etc.
THANKS A MILLION!
:)

farside291

Only a Ram...I used to have a Chevy and we could not go anywhere:) Just kidding, any of the Big 3 will pull your Big Horn. I prefer a Dually just because its more stable, in my opinion. I had a Chevy 3500, DW wanted a new truck, so she bought a Ram. We are obviously not brand loyal. I am more best price loyal.

SNOKING

We have towed our BH3575el(GVWR 16K) with combined weight of 24.500 lbs for two years with our 2015 RAM 4x4 SB CC 3500. We load heavy as we lived in it for over a year. It has been to Arizona and back to Washington twice with extended travel along the way. We are quite happy with the setup. We have been in high wind several times, and over lots of mountain passes. Chris

DirtyMax88

I been looking at different trucks - but am wondering what successes you all been having pulling heavy fifth wheels. What truck do you use? SRW? DRW? 4x4? 4x2? 350, 250, 3500?... etc etc.
THANKS A MILLION!

This is a loaded question, for sure! LOL. LBRs comment made me chuckle! :) Are you brand loyal? All the new diesels are towing monsters, and are very very nice trucks. With the your Bighorn I'd say most would agree 350/3500, but the opinions on SRW vs DRW are definitely split. We went with a DRW for extra hauling capacity (for an aux fuel tank) and stability.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The new Ford Platinum is incredible. Simply the most amazing vehicle I've ever owned.
You need to drive one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Oh Boy, here we goooo....lol

My thought exactly.

You really did not ask that question here did you?

Just a hint. Most people have been driving the same make truck since they were 16. Where you sit is where you stand. ;)

I don't have the web site but someone will jump in with it. It gives all of the load and tow information on various makes and models. I suggest that, if you are not brand oriented, you begin with the weights (pin and gross) of the trailer and start plugging those into the formula for the trucks and see if that helps with a decision. Consumer Reports has a yearly report on just about every make and model vehicle ever driven. That search will give you the customer satisfaction/repair history on a much larger scale that you will get here.

Hahaha you guys are awesome. Yes I know, “Oh boy here we go” LOL.
I am not brand loyal. Ive never owned any diesels or truck simply put.
Also I am on a budget, lol, like everyone else - so anything before 2012 is gonna be more what I’ll be looking at. Ford people argue 7.3, 6.0, I hear 6.4 is just “trash” and don’t even look at it LOL.
I hear great things about Cummins. I’m guessing my biggest question is can a 350 or 3500 single rear wheel get the job done with my 42 foot 16k lb 3875FB Bighorn or if Dual Rear wheel is the only way to go. Thanks everyone!!!

This is fun! LOL

NYSUPstater

Oh Boy, here we goooo....lol

That's a Trailer Life line for sure!!!!

Here's my take and do as you wish. We had a '15 F350 cc, sb, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 (bought it in Dec '14) and yes it did tow our BC well, I was over on both truck and rear tires. More so the truck than the tires. Really didn't bother me on the truck as there is built in wiggle room that the mfr's won't tell you---but that's probly another topic for another day. NEVER gave the tires a thought at all. That is until we decided this years vaykay was going to FL in summer. Around here in CNY/northeast area didn't worry much, BUT going to FL in height of summer/heat......well that put a pit in my stomach. With heat generated just by tires, add in higher air temps, higher road surface temps and more weight on tires that's 4 strikes against me. So ended up getting a ' 17 F350 dually. Could I do this trip w/ a SRW? Probly, but if DW was driving and a blow out occurred yanking 16k behind -----not a pretty picture. I never really wanted a dually, but now, don't have to worry as much about weight/blow outs.

OP said you would live in the RV full time w/ some traveling. You would have to think on where and how far your going as you'll be at max on a SRW right out of the gate. I would still much rather prefer a sb SRW, but now I don't have that pit in my stomach which my Mom always said "Trust your gut instincts".

OP, based on your last post and question, a DRW.

B

BouseBill

Easy answer, A BIG one with 6 wheels. Your choice of make, model and color, but preferably diesel.;)

SNOKING

Hahaha you guys are awesome. Yes I know, “Oh boy here we go” LOL.
I am not brand loyal. Ive never owned any diesels or truck simply put.
Also I am on a budget, lol, like everyone else - so anything before 2012 is gonna be more what I’ll be looking at. Ford people argue 7.3, 6.0, I hear 6.4 is just “trash” and don’t even look at it LOL.
I hear great things about Cummins. I’m guessing my biggest question is can a 350 or 3500 single rear wheel get the job done with my 42 foot 16k lb 3875FB Bighorn or if Dual Rear wheel is the only way to go. Thanks everyone!!!

This is fun! LOL

For SRW trucks you really need one of the recent year ones that have 7K rear axle GAWR and GVWR 11,500 to 12,300 with 18 or 20" tires. Earlier SRW are not rated for your load.

Remember loan interest rates are higher on used trucks. RAM seems to discount new trucks more than the other two We paid 53,450 for a 64,595 sticker Laramie. Chris

Thanks guys! Lot of good input from all. Very much appreciated! I am mostly getting it for emergency hurricane evacuation to any closest state out of a hurricanes way WHEN it does come towards us. That being said and other then that we are South Florida Full Time Trailer life LOL. However, I do have a friend with property in the ADK upstate NY beckoning is to visit LOL. And my plan is to pay cash for the truck - in response to the interest rate comment.

farside291

For SRW trucks you really need one of the recent year ones that have 7K rear axle GAWR and GVWR 11,500 to 12,300 with 18 or 20" tires. Earlier SRW are not rated for your load.

Remember loan interest rates are higher on used trucks. RAM seems to discount new trucks more than the other two We paid 53,450 for a 64,595 sticker Laramie. Chris

58,500 for a 2016 RAM Longhorn Dually. With my trade, made it almost affordable. Still a lot of money...for a truck. Heck my first house wasn't much more than that:)
But you are correct, I couldn't touch Ford or Chevy for that price. And, I really liked the inside of the King Ranch, and I really loved the hood on the Chevy. But, money talks and I went with the RAM

carl.swoyer

THANKS A MILLION!
Silverado Duramax Allison

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Pizzaguy

Another vote for the Ford F350 Dually. As far as what engine to stay away from, it would be the 6.0L. The 7.3 and 6.7 are great, and the 6.4 was pretty good too. 6.0, not so good!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
2009 GMC 3500HD Duramax dually, crew cab and 8’ bed. Bought it after buying the Bighorn 3670. Could not get a straight answer from anyone at the time as to what I needed, so I went big and do not regret it. It’s still my daily driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Geodude

We have a Bighorn 3585RL with a 3100 pound pin weight. We used to tow it with a 6.7L Ford Super Duty SRW short-bed truck, but the truck was over its payload by 300 or 400 pounds. None of the new SRW Super Duty trucks have the payload we need (well, maybe a base model single cab) and due to the GVWR of the Ford dually it cannot be registered for personal use in Ontario (meaning I'd be commercial and require trip logs, daily inspections, etc.). So we now tow with a 2018 GMC Sierra 3500 Denali DRW with the 6.6L Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. The GVWR fits Ontario's rules for commercial exemption for towing a 5th wheel. I'm somewhat brand agnostic and DW and I feel the GMC is miles ahead of the 2011 Ford. Could end up in any brand next time, too early to think about it!

Garypowell

Just traded my 350 SRW Chevy in as we won’t be towing any more....rig is now stationary.

Space Coast Honda has it.....excellent truck about 80,000 miles about 60K non-pulling. Fairly well loaded.

Last i looked $44,000. They gave me $40,500 in trade so they might not be willing to come down much.

It did fine with my 2013 bighorn.....you’ll have to see if it would work for you.