Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Bicycles

1. Print this Post   #1

Transporting Bicycles

I want to carry two full size bicycles along when we travel and am thinking I might be able to stow them in the basement area. We don't full-time, so this area is not as loaded when travelling as some others. We have a 2014 Bighorn 3010RE and I don't have a rear bumper or trailer hitch on the RV. Don't want to add a hitch to the front of the tow vehicle as I want to keep as much air as possible flowing into the engine (and don't want bikes covered in bugs!). Anyone out there used the basement storage and have any input?

2. Print this Post   #2
    California-South Chapter Leaders

Re: Transporting Bicycles

How about a roof rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill K.
    California South Chapter Leader

3. Print this Post   #3

I put two adult bikes underneath. Best to remove front wheel and saddle post.

4. Print this Post   #4

We put our full size bikes in our Bighorn 3270 basement garage all the time, I lay one down and put a blanket on top of it and lay the other bike on top of it but, I do have to remove the front wheel on on the bike on top. There is still plenty of room of other camping gear.

2015 Super Duty
    2018 Bighorn 3270RS
    NorCal Chapter 3689

2014 North Trail 21FBS (Sold)

5. Print this Post   #5

I have the front rec hitch on my ram. I added a teo bike rack for our bikes and they rode great. Don't see how the spoked wheels or bike frames are going to block any air into the grill. Easy to load and unload.
    'Lil Guy'
    Debbie and Frank
    2018 Ram DRW 3500
    HOC # 1328

6. Print this Post   #6

We also have a front hitch on our Ram with a Thule carrier and two full size bikes. We remove the seats and lower the handle bars when driving so as not to obstruct the view. Works well for us ó we are full time.
    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie, Diesel, Dually, 4.10, Aisin
    2016 Landmark 365 Key West

7. Print this Post   #7

Thanks for the responses. I have been thinking about a solution for some time. The front hitch receiver and bike rack looks like a good alternative, but I was thinking of covering the bikes in transit with a protective cover, which might block some of the air flow to the engine. Don't want to leave bikes uncovered as they will get plastered with bugs and road dust/oil etc. It sounds like I should be able to carry the bikes in the basement with some minor alterations to the bikes while stored. The trailer is in winter storage now, so I will have to wait 'till spring to check things out. Thanks again all.

8. Print this Post   #8

https://www.rvillage.com/blogs/17731...x-bike-carrier

You could go this route. Could not find the actual link to a product, but this gives you another option

Kyle

9. Print this Post   #9

However you decide to mount your bikes, just be sure you actually ride them!! So many times Iíve seen extravagant mounting schemes, obviously using time and money to install, and the bikes never seem to get ridden. I break-down my bike and transport it lying flat in the bed of the truck.

10. Print this Post   #10

We put my wife's bike (road or mountain, depending on the trip) in the main basement, standing up, front wheel off. My bike (road or mountain) goes in the front basement, again with the front wheel off. I like this way of transporting them because they stay safe and clean and out of the way.
    2015 Bighorn 3585RL w auto levelling, power cord reel, G-rated Sailun tires, dual air, fireplace, theatre seating -- "The Outside Inn"
    2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD Denali DRW 4X4 6.6L Duramax + B&W Companion hitch and Bakflip MX4 tonneau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast