Tires showing unusual ware

Jeff_Nora_Hanna

Florida Chapter Leaders
Ok Heartlanders I have a question. Last May I had IS installed on my Landmark at MorRyde. Since then I have put 1826 miles on the unit. While making preparations for our up coming trip I noticed these ware patterns on the two tires on the drivers side. So the question is "what is the cause?" I need help, your opinion, knowledge, experience, suggestions will be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190325_151036.jpg
    20190325_151036.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 104
  • 20190325_162755.jpg
    20190325_162755.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 117
  • 20190325_173419.jpg
    20190325_173419.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 95

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

What speeds do you travel at ??
I have seen this on my last set of tires and starting on this set already in some spots.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That is the same speed I like to travel I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Have you had the alignment check after the IS install or do they do that when installed ??
We are having the IS or thire new Air Ride installed right before the rally.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

JMP

ummmm...I have not seen this before. My initial thought is something with the bearings, but its just initial thinking. I agree you should send your pictures to MoRryde and ask for feedback.

Jeff_Nora_Hanna

Florida Chapter Leaders
That is the same speed I like to travel I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Have you had the alignment check after the IS install or do they do that when installed ??
We are having the IS or thire new Air Ride installed right before the rally.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yes they do an alignment at the time of install. What is the new Air Ride system you're talking about?
I'm very pleased with the ride difference on the IS system.

- - - Updated - - -

ummmm...I have not seen this before. My initial thought is something with the bearings, but its just initial thinking. I agree you should send your pictures to MoRryde and ask for feedback.[/QUOTE]

I yanked one of the tires off and took it to my tire dealer to get his opinion. His explanation was that tires can have Under inflation ware, Over inflation ware or in my case Mechanical ware and he expressly used bearings as maybe a probable cause.

Jeff_Nora_Hanna

Florida Chapter Leaders
Tires fixed.
Aggravated with the forum.
Typed a complete explanation for 45 minutes one SLOW LETTER AT A TIME. What causes the delays while typing? I keep getting "Auto Save" - where is it saved? When I hit "Submit Reply" after typing for 45 minutes I got a white blank screen.
Sorry. The explanation was full of important information. Condensed answer run your Goodyear tires at full pressure indicated on the side wall. Mine is 125#'s.

RickL

Tires fixed.
Aggravated with the forum.
Typed a complete explanation for 45 minutes one SLOW LETTER AT A TIME. What causes the delays while typing? I keep getting "Auto Save" - where is it saved? When I hit "Submit Reply" after typing for 45 minutes I got a white blank screen.
Sorry. The explanation was full of important information. Condensed answer run your Goodyear tires at full pressure indicated on the side wall. Mine is 125#'s.

My question is what were you running for pressures prior? Also, do you know the exact weight of each wheel position?

I see two conditions, first condition on the outer rib is called “river wear” and the second is the inside rib which from the picture appears cupping and possible alignment condition. River wear can be the result of air pressure, loose suspension components, wheel bearings. Speed has little to do with either condition.

Jeff_Nora_Hanna

Florida Chapter Leaders
My question is what were you running for pressures prior? Also, do you know the exact weight of each wheel position?

I see two conditions, first condition on the outer rib is called “river wear” and the second is the inside rib which from the picture appears cupping and possible alignment condition. River wear can be the result of air pressure, loose suspension components, wheel bearings. Speed has little to do with either condition.

I went to the GoodYear Commercial Tire center located in Tampa FL. I took both tires and showed them to Brian, a professionally trained GoodYear tire expert. He explained in more detail than I could comprehend, the construction of the tires and how they are tested and testing results. I quickly realized I was not talking to a tire dealer that happened to sell GoodYear as one of their many products.
Bottom line according to Brian; pressure required 125# is was running on 110#.
All of the abnormalities, river ware and cupping have been caused by low pressure. Brian examined the tires and said all indications are the tires are running true and don't appear to be dealing with any suspension problems.
During this whole process I have been in contact with MorRyde. Brian at MorRyde, yes there are two Brian's, has been extremely helpful with recommendations including checking my bearings, which I did.
Hope this helps.

mlpeloquin

Wow. The IS system ether requires the tires to be at max psi, or the tires were under inflated for the weight. I don't have the IS, but do have the Joy rider shocks. I did have the G614's and inflated the tires according the the weight load pressure chart. Never had any problems at all with a lot of miles on them. I now have changed to the Sailun tires. Now with over 12k miles and near perfect wear. Noticed a slight wear on the inside of the passenger side and had an alignment 1k miles ago. Maybe unpressurized for the weight on the tires. Had mine weighed twice each tire independently. Goodyear rep is making sure that there is enough pressure to handle the load without weighing the individual tires. Without knowing what the weight is on each tire it is the prudent thing to do. It is not the IS suspension.

RickL

I went to the GoodYear Commercial Tire center located in Tampa FL. I took both tires and showed them to Brian, a professionally trained GoodYear tire expert. He explained in more detail than I could comprehend, the construction of the tires and how they are tested and testing results. I quickly realized I was not talking to a tire dealer that happened to sell GoodYear as one of their many products.
Bottom line according to Brian; pressure required 125# is was running on 110#.
All of the abnormalities, river ware and cupping have been caused by low pressure. Brian examined the tires and said all indications are the tires are running true and don't appear to be dealing with any suspension problems.
During this whole process I have been in contact with MorRyde. Brian at MorRyde, yes there are two Brian's, has been extremely helpful with recommendations including checking my bearings, which I did.
Hope this helps.

Just a FYI, I spent 18 years with Goodyear corporate in various positions, and a total of 35+ yrs in the tire industry most of it on the commercial side of the tire business. I only say this as I feel I’m fairly confident in my tire knowledge. I am not that far removed from the work side and still converse with ours still in the industry.

When end it comes to pressures it’s important to be reasonably close to having the correct pressure for the load to promote the best tire wear pattern. I have around 9,000 miles on my tires and the wear pattern is nice and flat. I run 105 PSI with my tire weight at 14,100. My pin weight is 4250 and the entire rig (truck/trailer) is 27,400. I would never tell anyone you must adjust your pressures if they aren’t comfortable with my recommendations. I always preface it with run what your comfortable with.

rwdennis

Rick , with you running 105 psi in your trailer , what is the max psi for your trailer tire ? Also , what do you run your truck at psi wise?