Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alaska Bound

1. Print this Post   #11

Re: Alaska Bound

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Posz View Post
    We drove up and back in 2014 and 2018. Put the rig on the ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines both times with intermediate stops.
    Frost heave was an issue both trips. It's not the crash of potholes but a deep bouncing that can be tough on the suspension. My advice is to consider having your spring brackets reinforced if you have not already done so and consider bringing along a couple of extra leaf springs.

We broke two springs on the 2018 trip and met a couple folks with the heavier rigs who had their brackets break. There have been other discussions about how the brackets should be beefed up.

Please don't let this post deter you. The 2014 trip was the fulfilment of a bucket list thing, and 2018 was to pick up some of the things we missed the first time. The Lord willing there will be a 2022 trip. Take your time and enjoy.
    Jim
    We did the MorRyde IS last Sept. No more springs, hanger brackets or axles. But Ill still slow down for frost heaves. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rick & Cindy

2. Print this Post   #12

Quote Originally Posted by 8404fmfvet View Post
    The bow fishing isn't good until the fall, but the fishing for reds should be starting to pick up around that time. As far as frost heaves go pretty much from Destruction Bay in the YT to just north of Glennallen, AK, is where you typically see the worst of it. I will pass you on the way out, I am heading south same route.
    July is a great time to be on the Kenai Penn.

In Hope, check out the Seaview, right on the bay at the mouth of Resurrection Creek, which will be chock full of Pinks. At the mouth we have seen Whales and Seals, on the creek Grizzly and Black Bear. Great views, cool Museum, original buildings and incredible place with great fishing and hiking.

Near Hope is 6 Mile Creek, might as well go white water rafting.....world class rapids and a great trip with NovaAlaska White Water rafting.

Near Sterling...Alaska Raft and Canoe Campground, the owner is Max Finch, incredible guy and an unbelievable source of information. I have bothered him 100s of time as I plan trips, everything from hiking from Mountain Lakes, coordinating canoe trips and raft trips, fishing info, hunting info, everything....what others will spend a thousand dollars to do he will help you do it yourself for so much less.

If you make it to Homer, then go out to the end of the spit to the Homer Spit Campground, fish right from shore, we caught everything from Cod, Skates, Halibut, and stuff we couldn't name and the views are unbeatable.....Sea Otters are cool as well.

When you head north Past Palmer and Wasilla, before Talkeetna take the road to where the Forked Road Tavern once was and dry camp there. You will catch Grayling and Rainbows. You will also hook kings, but can't keep them.
    You could stay busy on the Peninsula for a month without any problem and see all there is to see.....

We will be making the drive up summer of 2021.....I will be interested to see how your trip goes...if you need any info on the Peninsula let me know......or call Max.

3. Print this Post   #13

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post

When you head north Past Palmer and Wasilla, before Talkeetna take the road to where the Forked Road Tavern once was and dry camp there. You will catch Grayling and Rainbows. You will also hook kings, but can't keep them.
    Were heading south from Denali, Ill see if I can find that spot. Will try for Graylings while in Fairbanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rick & Cindy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2