Considering solar...

wyleyrabbit

Marv,

Thanks for the great info. Did you keep the Bighorn's existing converter?

My dealership is telling me that the converter that comes with the Bighorn isn't adequate for handling 2 solar panels (110W), a pair of golf cart batteries, and a modest pure-sine inverter (1500-1800 W). I'm surprised at this.

Did this hook up all of the electrical outlets in your unit? Or is it only specific ones?

Also, start to finish, how many hours do you think this job took you?

I still am suffering from some sticker shock that the dealership thinks it will take at least 6 hours for JUST the inverter installation.

Chris

SmokeyBare

Wyley,

I sent you a Private message... sorry it's so long.

Here is the battery set up I used... and a picture of the Charge Controller and the Monitor panel for the Inverter

Attachments

• IMG_2241.JPG
    IMG_2241.JPG
    476.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2242.JPG
    IMG_2242.JPG
    571.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2239.JPG
    IMG_2239.JPG
    533.5 KB · Views: 79

jackg

Carmanah Technologies is a Canadian (Alberta, B.C.) manufacturer of inverters and solar charging units, their RV website ( http://www.solarforrv.com/) has a great calculator for determining what you'll need for a solar panel...or you can do what I did, put 4 6volts in and a 3000 watt pure sign wave inverter, take the thing out for a couple of weekends and you'll know how long the batteries last. THEN you'll know what solar pannells to get!