3055 Bighorn with Samsung Home Theatre System

patrick1945

I would like to be able to listen to my IPOD through this system BUT do not want to have to disconnect the TV "audio in" to hook it up.

I see the USB connection on the front to power the IPOD but I need to connect the left and right channel to the Samsung tuner.

What am I missing or overlooking?

jbeletti

Use your iPod USB cable and plug it into the iPod and into that USB port on the Samsung. I believe the Samsung them controls the iPod. The audi will be conveyed via the iPod bus out the USB.

Try it and let us all know. I have always wanted to try this but never fot around to doing so.

Jim

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
I would like to be able to listen to my IPOD through this system BUT do not want to have to disconnect the TV "audio in" to hook it up.

I see the USB connection on the front to power the IPOD but I need to connect the left and right channel to the Samsung tuner.

What am I missing or overlooking?

Never could get mine to work with the Samsung.

patrick1945

Use your iPod USB cable and plug it into the iPod and into that USB port on the Samsung. I believe the Samsung them controls the iPod. The audi will be conveyed via the iPod bus out the USB.

Try it and let us all know. I have always wanted to try this but never fot around to doing so.

Jim

I did just that but all the Samsung did was try to read and never moved on. When I plug the IPOD into the tuner at home I plug the USB into a power cube and from the headphone jack that splits into 2 channels and into the audio in.

There are 2 audio in ports on the back of the Samsung which are plugged from the TV.

jbeletti

Break out the Samsung manual. See what it says to do and what the capabilities are for the iPod jack. I am not at my rig to do look this up.

Jim

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Works For Me

We have the Samsung Home Theater system in our 3055. I use my Ipod or connect directly to the laptop via the headphone jack on either device. The Samsung has one AUX input with Left and Right audio. You need a wire that goes from the pin jack (headphones on the ipod or laptop) to red and white (left and right) phono jack ends. If you need more inputs you can get a switching unit that will allow two or more aux inputs into the box and you select the device from that box. This way your tv stays connected and your ipod is available. Connect the box into the Samsung aux input. We bought a finishing cap for desk top wiring at Lowe's and drilled a hole in the bottom corner of the cabinet that holds the samsung reciever. That hole allows you to drop the wire to the desk for the laptop with no mess.

patrick1945

We have the Samsung Home Theater system in our 3055. I use my Ipod or connect directly to the laptop via the headphone jack on either device. The Samsung has one AUX input with Left and Right audio. You need a wire that goes from the pin jack (headphones on the ipod or laptop) to red and white (left and right) phono jack ends. If you need more inputs you can get a switching unit that will allow two or more aux inputs into the box and you select the device from that box. This way your tv stays connected and your ipod is available. Connect the box into the Samsung aux input. We bought a finishing cap for desk top wiring at Lowe's and drilled a hole in the bottom corner of the cabinet that holds the samsung reciever. That hole allows you to drop the wire to the desk for the laptop with no mess.

"switching unit " Is this something similar to the speaker box/device you install down stream from the tuner to increase speakers - but with RCA jack connections? And do I need be concerned about oem ratings or anything else? Where/what can I expect to pay for this device?

--Is this what you are talking about? http://www.amazon.com/RCA-VH911-Video-Switch-Box/dp/tech-data/B00008X5DE/ref=de_a_smtd

"drop the wire to the desk for the laptop" I do not plan to sync or download music from ITUNES to this lap top. I do that at home on a desk top. I have used those finishing caps when building cabinetry but do not think that I need them here/Florida for the winter. Am I missing something here?

thank you very much
Pat

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Pat, The switching unit I speak of is a small box. It has multiple phono inputs (Right & Left for each) and one output connection. We bought ours at Best Buy about 20 bucks. Disconnect your TV from the Samsung and plug it into the "A" input on the switching unit. Plug the wire for your Ipod to into the "B" input. Connect the output to the Samsung. An A-B switch on the box allows you to pick which device you listen to.

patrick1945

Jim

Cannot get it to work but I think the problem is connecting the IPOD to the USB on the front of the Samsung. I will try again today and post the results.

patrick1945

Cannot get it to work but I think the problem is connecting the IPOD to the USB on the front of the Samsung. I will try again today and post the results.

Now that I plugged the IPOD into a power cube and electric outlet it works like a charm. YOU CANNOT PLUG THE IPOD INTO THE FRONT OF THE HTS..

RECAP: I picked up an AUDIO/VIDEO SELECTOR SWITCH ( 2-In/1-Out) part # 15-1982 $15 at Radio Shack--I plugged the TV and IPOD into the input on the device--ran 3 wires (red, white and yellow) from the devices output to the 3 aux. inputs on the Samsung HTS.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Not Compatable

Hey Pat I looked through the Samsung manual and there are some MP3 players (Mostly manufactured by Samsung) that are compatable with that USB connection but the IPod isn't one of them. Glad you got it to work this way. ;)