10a Furion Solar Plug - no charge controller needed?

The furion solar ready plug-in is rated for 10 amps. A single 100 watt solar panel puts out roughly 8 amps in maximum sun exposure. If you're only plugging in one panel do you really need a charge controller?

I know adding a charge controller is pretty much always a good rule of thumb, but to me it doesn't seem needed if you're just using a single panel to keep your battery topped up. Thoughts?

If you're curious, I have the 2019 Wilderness 2775RB. Cheers.

LBR

The furion solar ready plug-in is rated for 10 amps. A single 100 watt solar panel puts out roughly 8 amps in maximum sun exposure. If you're only plugging in one panel do you really need a charge controller?

I know adding a charge controller is pretty much always a good rule of thumb, but to me it doesn't seem needed if you're just using a single panel to keep your battery topped up. Thoughts?

If you're curious, I have the 2019 Wilderness 2775RB. Cheers.
You should first check the VOLTAGE generated by that one solar panel. If it is anything more than 14 V, you best use a charge controller. I personally wouldn't use just one panel without it to keep from over charging the battery.... so IMO, not a good idea to ever leave the controller out of the equation.

You should first check the VOLTAGE generated by that one solar panel. If it is anything more than 14 V, you best use a charge controller. I personally wouldn't use just one panel without it to keep from over charging the battery.... so IMO, not a good idea to ever leave the controller out of the equation.
That's a couple things I didn't think about. Even with such a small input I would have to be monitoring the battery for overcharge. Best to grab a small controller. Thank you!

Reactions: LBR