12 Volt fuse blows, Now ceiling fan doesn't work

farside291

Replaced the fuse and turned on ceiling fan and the fuse immediately blew. What relationship would the 12 volt circuit have to do with the ceiling fan? And, once the fuse blows and switch for ceiling fan is left on ceiling lights are dim. Turn off ceiling fan switch and everything works normal. I am going to pull the fan and check for shorts but it seems strange. It has blown the same fuse once before but changing fuse fixed it. Now fuse blows again immediately after ceiling fan switched is turned on.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

farside291

Not any of the 12 Volts ones. That would be way too easy. It's the 120 Volt ceiling fan in the living room. As long as the fan is off the fuse doesn't blow. What could the 120 volt fan have to do with 12 volts. I am at work now but I wish I would have looked to see which fuse is blowing.

farside291

Does the switch panel that controls the living room ceiling fan operate a 12 volt relay to turn on the ceiling fan? If so that could be the connection. Because when the fuse blows and ceiling fan switch is on the LED ceiling lights dim.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
After reading your first post earlier this morning the first thing I thought of is that the 120 volt ceiling fan is operated by a relay activated by the 12 volt switch.
If the 12 volt switch is on and the fuse is open then the fuse panel will allow a small amount of current to light up the red LED next to the fuse. That small amount of current is also enough to power the LED ceiling lights allowing them to glow dimly.
I would pull the switch panel and check the wires there.

Peace
Davwe

farside291

Something has to be connected. Why would the ceiling lights dim. I hope you are correct. Does anyone know if there is a relay that powers the ceiling fan? I will pull the switch panel when I get home.

danemayer

Something has to be connected. Why would the ceiling lights dim. I hope you are correct. Does anyone know if there is a relay that powers the ceiling fan? I will pull the switch panel when I get home.
If you have a LM365 with KIB Multiplex controls, there's a relay.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

farside291

If you have a LM365 with KIB Multiplex controls, there's a relay.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No, its a 2015 Big Country, I am going to pull the switch panel and see what I see. If nothing, then I guess the ceiling fan will be next and I can check for shorts there. I am almost positive a wire came loose somewhere. I just can't see how 12V and a 120V fan are connected...unless there is a relay. Would the fan switch on the panel be wired directly to provide power to the fan?

danemayer

No, its a 2015 Big Country, I am going to pull the switch panel and see what I see. If nothing, then I guess the ceiling fan will be next and I can check for shorts there. I am almost positive a wire came loose somewhere. I just can't see how 12V and a 120V fan are connected...unless there is a relay. Would the fan switch on the panel be wired directly to provide power to the fan?
Easiest way to tell is to pull the switch away from the wall and take a voltage reading on the back. Switch OFF. Fuse must be good. Put the common lead of the meter on a known ground. Don't measure across the switch. If 12V DC at the switch, the switch is powering a relay.

farside291

Easiest way to tell is to pull the switch away from the wall and take a voltage reading on the back. Switch OFF. Fuse must be good. Put the common lead of the meter on a known ground. Don't measure across the switch. If 12V DC at the switch, the switch is powering a relay.

I didn't get a chance to pull switch, I did put an AC volt meter across the pulled fuse #9 which is the one that is blowing. This fuse is for external lighting, not sure why this fuse powers the ceiling fan. I measured about 10 volts AC. Switch it to DC and measured 13.5 with the switch on. Switch off 0 volts. Need to find a good ground point, everything Is plastic. I will research further and post back.

farside291

I spoke to Heartland, Fuse 9 is for the scare lights, porch light and step light. Circuit breaker 1 is for the ceiling fan. Breaker is not blowing. Turn on switch for ceiling fan and red led next to fuse 9 illuminates. Hmmm.

danemayer

I spoke to Heartland, Fuse 9 is for the scare lights, porch light and step light. Circuit breaker 1 is for the ceiling fan. Breaker is not blowing. Turn on switch for ceiling fan and red led next to fuse 9 illuminates. Hmmm.

If you want to verify scare lights on fuse 9, pull the fuse and try the scare lights. Then put the fuse back and try the lights again.

On the circuit breaker, flip #1 OFF and see if the fan switch blows the fuse.

A couple of more tests:

1) turn the main circuit breakers OFF and see if the fan switch still blows the fuse.

2) with the main circuit breakers ON, turn your Power Converter circuit breaker OFF and turn the Battery Cutoff Switch near the battery OFF. That will eliminate all 12V DC sources and you can try the fan again to see what happens.

Post the results.

farside291

If you want to verify scare lights on fuse 9, pull the fuse and try the scare lights. Then put the fuse back and try the lights again.

On the circuit breaker, flip #1 OFF and see if the fan switch blows the fuse.

A couple of more tests:

1) turn the main circuit breakers OFF and see if the fan switch still blows the fuse.

2) with the main circuit breakers ON, turn your Power Converter circuit breaker OFF and turn the Battery Cutoff Switch near the battery OFF. That will eliminate all 12V DC sources and you can try the fan again to see what happens.

Post the results.

Yesterday I checked the scare lights, porch lite and step light. All work with #9 fuse removed??? So, I now need to figure out what fuse is powering the external lights. I will check the other items, Thanks for your help. I will post what I find.