12 volt lighting and fridg and furnace

david-steph2018

Bobby A, do you have an inverter already installed? If not, are you planning on installing an inverter for the residential fridge to operate while not hooked to shore power?

Bobby A

NO, I chose to go with a true residential fridge that runs on 110. Our long term traveling days are over so I know if I travel it won't be more than a few hours and everything in the fridge/ freezer will stay at a safe temperature for a few hours.

Bobby A

I would close off both of the original refer holes completely, paying attention to exterior aesthetics. I wouldn't put insulation above the refer as heat rises....and the top of a residential frig is the best place for heat to escape.
Yes, I believe you are correct, I do know of some who have blocked off the outside vents with no issues, I did buys a fan that I may install on the outside like our RV fridges have. My wife is not happy because this summer heat is coming through the outside vents like a tunnel and the AC is working overtime to try to cool the RV to no avail. I know I have to do something QUICK !!

wdk450

Yes, I believe you are correct, I do know of some who have blocked off the outside vents with no issues, I did buys a fan that I may install on the outside like our RV fridges have. My wife is not happy because this summer heat is coming through the outside vents like a tunnel and the AC is working overtime to try to cool the RV to no avail. I know I have to do something QUICK !!
If you have to do something QUICK, how about duct tape, or something of the like that will seal off the holes temporarily going down the road until you can figure out something permanent (sheet metal, plastic sheet, etc.)???

I have found that outside air comes underneath the kitchen slide as the lower outside seal is pretty much useless. I have seen sunlight streaming under the kitchen slide inside the trailer. I got some 2 inch square foam rubber (used in a kit to seal up house window air conditioners), glued the ends together to make 1 long strip, and stuff it between the kitchen slide lower inside lip and the kitchen floor the length of the slide to seal up the air leaks. I remove the foam rubber slide seal when I move again.

Bobby A

If you have to do something QUICK, how about duct tape, or something of the like that will seal off the holes temporarily going down the road until you can figure out something permanent (sheet metal, plastic sheet, etc.)???

I have found that outside air comes underneath the kitchen slide as the lower outside seal is pretty much useless. I have seen sunlight streaming under the kitchen slide inside the trailer. I got some 2 inch square foam rubber (used in a kit to seal up house window air conditioners), glued the ends together to make 1 long strip, and stuff it between the kitchen slide lower inside lip and the kitchen floor the length of the slide to seal up the air leaks. I remove the foam rubber slide seal when I move again.
All great ideas/suggestions Bill, today the wife and I put bubble foil/ astro foil some call it. We sealed 2 of the 3 vent holes on both of the vent openings thats located on the outside. I have some under the fridge and at the top where there is a gap as a temporary fix. I had a carpenter that is working in the park come over and he is gonna get a oak piece of wood and come back over sometime in the next week and see how we like the color match as we have all oak cabinets that we love very much, he will trim out the fridge. I also got the hurricane straps you told us about. I bought a 8 ft piece of 2x2 and cut it to fit length wise on both side of the fridge. Tomorrow I will secure one end to the new boards and the other end is the heavy duty tape that I will use on top of the fridge as you suggested. I also bought a small fan thats 110 and secure it somewhere in the back of the fridge like the RV fridges. Your advise is always spot on all the time and I appreciate it.

Thats also a good idea on the rubber to seal up the gaps on the slide out. I get under the slideout once a year with my air compressor and blow all the dust and Debrie out side and then inside. I make sure at that point I don't see any day light coming from under the slidout. I will post back when the job is complete. If I new how to take a picture and add it to my post I would. I have never posted pictures. Have a good weekend my friend. Thanks again,

Last edited: