13 foot slide with a 3/4 inch droop or sag in the middle. 1 year old. is that normal?

marknewbill

hi i have a 2020 pioneer with a 13 foot slide. i have been noticing over the year it is drooping more in the middle of the roof center. i am starting to see the led lights in the back now. i keep the camper covered almost all the time and dont believe its water related. i also keep the slide out all the time for more support when stored in my garage as some said was the best way. should i be concerned and take it in for a check or with a long slide is this amount of droop normal? see atached pictures. thanks for answering 🙂

Attachments

• 20211031_084109.jpg
    20211031_084109.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211031_084058.jpg
    20211031_084058.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211031_084048.jpg
    20211031_084048.jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211031_084034.jpg
    20211031_084034.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211031_084010.jpg
    20211031_084010.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 28

Sowie

Check for bent bracing under the slide. Mine had very thin angle brackets that had bent down. I welded heavier gage steel brackets to the frame and all good now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marknewbill

Check for bent bracing under the slide. Mine had very thin angle brackets that had bent down. I welded heavier gage steel brackets to the frame and all good now.

So if I am understanding, your issue was something do do with the floor?

marknewbill

Since that is pretty normal, I wont look into it much, but I did read that some use a temporary pole in storage, like a bathroom shower curtain rod that screws to extend to support the roof and others have even made a permanent pole from the dinette seat up to the roof. either of those do not sound hard to accomplish. I think I will make me something to prop it up for now while we store it to prevent further sag and see how that goes.

Sowie

So if I am understanding, your issue was something do do with the floor?

Yes mine was sagging at the floor. I never checked the roof portion of the slide to see if it was sagging proportionately. Is yours only noticeable along the top?

danemayer

If I'm interpreting your pictures correctly, you're measuring the distance between the trim along the top of the slide, to the ceiling. You might get a long straight edge and see whether the trim is low in the center, or the ceiling is high in the center. String might sub for a straight edge.

The trim is often a molded foam or composite rather than a piece of wood. So I'd think it unlikely the trim is warped or that it was bent to follow a dip in top of the slide room.

My guess is that the 1/2" is a rise in the ceiling. See if the straight edge confirms that.

marknewbill

If I'm interpreting your pictures correctly, you're measuring the distance between the trim along the top of the slide, to the ceiling. You might get a long straight edge and see whether the trim is low in the center, or the ceiling is high in the center. String might sub for a straight edge.

The trim is often a molded foam or composite rather than a piece of wood. So I'd think it unlikely the trim is warped or that it was bent to follow a dip in top of the slide room.

My guess is that the 1/2" is a rise in the ceiling. See if the straight edge confirms that.
I can check this for sure but the trim is 2 pieces with a gap widening at the edges where they meet in the middle and crushing a little at the opposing corners indicating movement