'13 North Trail 28BRS Spring Upgrade - go up 1 rating?

Hi all. I have a broken leaf in my right rear spring and have scheduled a repair at the local trailer shop. I am wondering if I should have all of the springs upgraded to 5 leaf (2250 lb.) from the original 4 leaf (1750 lb.) springs. The original springs appear almost flat with little, if any, arch to them. Aside from cost, my concern is how the trailer will ride with stiffer springs. Will it bounce more? Any experience with such an upgrade?

Thanks, Ray

rhodies1

Re: 2013 North Trail 28brs Spring Upgrade

I would consider doing all the springs at the same time. This repair will make this spring pack stronger than the remaining and no doubt you will have issues with the remaining 3 spring assemblies.You are at the shop doing one....do them all if you have the funds ....now is the time to complete.

I would consider doing all the springs at the same time. This repair will make this spring pack stronger than the remaining and no doubt you will have issues with the remaining 3 spring assemblies.You are at the shop doing one....do them all if you have the funds ....now is the time to complete.
Thanks. I am planning to do all four even if I don’t upgrade the load rating. I think the upgrade is worth it if there is no significant downside to it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Although I don't have a North Trail, when I needed springs I moved up one load rating with no adverse effects.

Peace
Dave

Domi

When we upgraded the the running gear a couple years ago we upgraded the springs to 5 leaf's. It seemed to lift the trailer which we needed and we have not noticed any stiffness in ride. We were so close to the ground we were dragging the stabilizers which does not happen at all any more.

John

Update: I had the springs replaced with “1750 Lb.” four leaf springs. The shop said the original springs were 3 leaf and were flat (no arch). The new ones definitely have an arch and raised the trailer about 2 inches. I had previously had this same shop flip the axles, so now the trailer is higher than I had wanted, but perhaps now it won’t drag the rear jacks! I think they should have figured out that replacing the springs would have raised my ride height when they flipped the axles. But, why does Lippert and Heartland provide such inadequate springs on their chassis/trailer assemblies?

Domi

Flipping and new springs should definitely help the stabilizer drag. We had to replace the steps due to the extra height of the trailer. We went with a 3 step Glow Step from Torq Lift. Might have need 4 as it turned out but it is working. I'm really happy we do not drag the stabilizers any more.

John

jimtoo

Hi John,

Torqe Lift has a one step kit. You can change your 3 step to a 4 step unit. It's not to hard to make the change.

Jim M

Domi

Hi John,

Torqe Lift has a one step kit. You can change your 3 step to a 4 step unit. It's not to hard to make the change.

Jim M

Jim,

I did not know this. Thanks for the suggestion I will check it out.

John

Flipping and new springs should definitely help the stabilizer drag. We had to replace the steps due to the extra height of the trailer. We went with a 3 step Glow Step from Torq Lift. Might have need 4 as it turned out but it is working. I'm really happy we do not drag the stabilizers any more.

John
I have looked at those steps but I don’t think they will work on our trailer because the door only opens 90 degrees due to the awning.

jbeletti

I have looked at those steps but I don’t think they will work on our trailer because the door only opens 90 degrees due to the awning.

The GlowStep Revolution steps don't store inside the coach. They store in place of the OEM steps in the frame area. Should work for your coach as they are fully under the door threshold, whether they are stored or deployed.

Note too that an extra step can be added to the GlowStep Revolution steps later if you feel 4 would be better than 3.

The GlowStep Revolution steps don't store inside the coach. They store in place of the OEM steps in the frame area. Should work for your coach as they are fully under the door threshold, whether they are stored or deployed.

Note too that an extra step can be added to the GlowStep Revolution steps later if you feel 4 would be better than 3.
Thanks for that. I looked on their web site and now I remember the problem: My step brackets are only 25.25” apart. The Torklift site lists their steps will fit brackets that are at least 25.5” apart. I emailed them and their response was:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting us with your concerns. I cannot absolutely confirm that this step will fit but I am fairly certain with a little bit of extra work you can get the frame to fit in between these brackets. If its at all possible to remove those brackets you could look into using our GlowStep Revolution Vertical Stud Adapter Brackets. The part number is A8022. I will link the product page in the description below. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.”[/FONT]