Spring and U-Bolts Maintenance on BC

Bobby A

Jeezzzzz guys, just as I was getting over my U-Bolt and center pin break on the road, now this !! I'm already gun shy over our tramadic experiance coming south, now as we are preparing our return trip north, I'm gonna have this in the back of my mind. Whats one to do ?? I have checked the torque on the U -bolts and made sure they are 65 ft. lbs. If someone can share with me how to post a pic I will post pics of my axles and see what you guys think. As I no NOTHING about axles and there parts. Thanks

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Jeezzzzz guys, just as I was getting over my U-Bolt and center pin break on the road, now this !! I'm already gun shy over our tramadic experiance coming south, now as we are preparing our return trip north, I'm gonna have this in the back of my mind. Whats one to do ?? I have checked the torque on the U -bolts and made sure they are 65 ft. lbs. If someone can share with me how to post a pic I will post pics of my axles and see what you guys think. As I no NOTHING about axles and there parts. Thanks

Here is another way to look at it Bobby. You now have an experience that most people dont face and you also have the education to not only know how do deal with it but also how to prevent it-or at least put the odds in your favor that it wont happen again.

Preventitive maintenance is the key to a good trip. It doesnt matter if the TV or trailer is new. You should still do a pretrip and postrip inspection.

Remember-New is not the same as Perfect. Some things just break, but look at the knowledge you have gained just on this forum.

If you will email me your pics I will post them for you.

caissiel

I feel ok that the New springs are ok, and the old ones are also ok. I wanted to advize here on the forum that the plates were to light for the 7000Lbs spring application. The new U-Bolts and Plates thighten right on and I felt them solid on the spring.

Ther W is happening because the springs are formed straight when not loaded, It can only show some W when loaded due to the flexing of the plies.

I have done more studies on the shock installation last night and concluded the the installation of the top shock support is for the application of the under the axle spring assembly method. For over the spring installation the support has to be moved about 3 3/8 inches higher. I have designed an adapter for my unit and will be making some soon.

The Plates are designed for 60Deg from the Horisontal, installation of the shocks . The Frame are designed with the Support for 45 Deg from the horizontal. And our units shocks are installed at 32 Deg from the horizontal.

My designe is for a 53 Deg instalation from the horizontal, while using the 60 Deg Plates and 45 Derg existing support and having the shocks only 8 deg or so from the anchor angles. Much better then 28 Deg difference on the trailer now. The norn seam to be from 45 to 60 Deg.

Attachments

• Shock Support Lip.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 24

caissiel

Thats the way mine look like witht he new springs just installed.
Yours look alright to me.

The shorter ply on the bottom of the springs are all on center so your center bolts are ok, I had one of the spring that the short ply showed offset and I had the broken center bolt on it.

Tankie

I just re-torqued all the u-bolts, only had a few that needed about 3/4 turn to reach 65lbs.

Tankie

Rmcgrath53, when you click reply to thread thr quick reply window opens, above where you type your reply there are icons 7th one over from the left w/pic frame around it click on it. It will open up a window, click on select files and find your pic in your files. good luck

Tankie

I am not convinced that a spring that is w'ed or flat is in good shape. Seems to me that a spring that is already flat and you start to bounce it has only one place to go when all that weight comes back down and it isn't up! I still think I will be asking someone that knows these things. :confused:

Bobby A

Here is another way to look at it Bobby. You now have an experience that most people dont face and you also have the education to not only know how do deal with it but also how to prevent it-or at least put the odds in your favor that it wont happen again.

Preventitive maintenance is the key to a good trip. It doesnt matter if the TV or trailer is new. You should still do a pretrip and postrip inspection.

Remember-New is not the same as Perfect. Some things just break, but look at the knowledge you have gained just on this forum.

If you will email me your pics I will post them for you.

Your right Larry, this forum is a wealth of Knowledge, sometimes much more than this pea brain of mine can understand, like this subject of spring and axles and u bolts and plates and such ect....... I know preventive maintance is key, but sometimes it seems overwelming and takes the fun out of Rving if you gotta worry about all the things that could go wrong and ruin a otherwise preasant trip and possibly jeoperdise you and your family and others on the road safety.

janitor1

We stayed at a local county park by the factory. We stayed overnight, then we took our RV to Lippert at 7:00am, then went on a tour at Jayco’s factory, and by one or two o’clock we picked our RV back up. The two guys working on it were great - showed me the old parts and explained that midyear the aluminum wheel company changed their cast so that’s why my tires where rubbing on the shocks. They set me up with a wet bolt kit, 8k springs, longer axels and 8k equalizers. On the way back home, it was very noticeable how much smoother my trailer towed. Before it seemed to be bottoming out but now it floats back there.

Tankie

I have emailed Lippert and sent them the pics of my springs for their opinion. Will see where it goes from there.

boatdoc

I don't know how anyone could say Tankie's springs look "OK". There is hardly any arc left in them and I've never seen trailer springs look like a "w" except both my old sets and the new ones Lippert sent me last summer. I'll be getting the real "scoop" at the Heartland rally in Winchester Bay this summer when Henderson Lineup gives us a talk on RV suspensions, I can't wait!!! From what I've read, they know their Stuff.

SouthernNights

These pics are from Bobby A's Trailer. Sorry I could not resize them.
Door side
front and rear:

doorside1.jpg

doorside2.jpg

Off door side

offdoor1.jpg

offdoor2.jpg

Tankie

Look just like mine. One set looks worse than the other. I am no expert but that one set looks like they are wore out.

SouthernNights

Tankie, I see what you mean that his springs kind of look like yours, but there a few things that at least by what the pictures look like, tell a different story.

First look at his spring retainers and then look at yours (last picture).
It is the clamp that goes around the last three leafs half way between the hanger and axle. See its position? It can not do its job. Some of these clamps are actually attached to the spring and some are held in place by clamping force. Either way, it cant do it jobs where it is and it moved there for a reason.

The other thing I see is the angle of the main leaf. Bobby A springs are a gentle arch up all the way from the axle to the hanger. Yes, there is a slight upward dip where the axle is, but that is not bad. The spring is doing it's job holding up the trailer. But if the spring makes an abrubt turn upwards, it could be a sign that the main leaf is starting to flatten out. Also, it you look at your last picture again, because the retainer has moved forward, you can actually see a gap between the second and third leaf. This can lead to the leafs working independantly of each other and not together. That can lead to several other problems.

Of course, these are just my opinions based on photos-not in person.