1st time buyer here

I didn't say you couldn't fulltime in a Heartland product. I said they are not built to be lived in fulltime. R-11 walls do not even meet the standards of houses built in the 60's and 70's, much less the current standard. They are however probably better than those of mobile homes of that period. The manufacturers I mentioned have heavier frames. They have to because of their heavier weight. They also have residential size kitchen appliances. And you almost need a Peterbuilt to tow them around. What we have is a difference of opinion of what "built for fulltiming means". I had a couple of friends that successfully"fulltimed" in a wall tent during one of the coldest winters in Alaska.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I have been in ALL the units you mentioned...their appliances are exactly the same as my Bighorn and my Landmark, I.e., rv stove and oven, 30" residential microwave convection, etc! The Landmark now offers a residential refrigerator like those mentioned.

Not one single RV, including those on your list have residential insulation or are meant to be built like a house...a heavier frame certainly doesn't keep them any warmer/cooler..AND every single one on you list has a GVWR of 21,000 pounds or less and can definitely be towed by ANY of today's 350/3500 DRW diesel trucks. They certainly do NOT need a Peterbuilt or equivalent to tow it!

Oh, and by the way, fulltime use is exactly what Bighorn and Landmark ARE built for...just like those on your "list".

I hope you are right as we are early in the process of ordering a new BC. We do not intend to fulltime. I hadn't noticed that HL now has a residential refer option. Too bad it is only on the Landmark. We'll have to agree to disagree on how much truck is needed to safely tow those heavier makes. Peterbuilt was hyperbole.

I have been in ALL the units you mentioned...their appliances are exactly the same as my Bighorn and my Landmark, I.e., rv stove and oven, 30" residential microwave convection, etc! The Landmark now offers a residential refrigerator like those mentioned.

Not one single RV, including those on your list have residential insulation or are meant to be built like a house...a heavier frame certainly doesn't keep them any warmer/cooler..AND every single one on you list has a GVWR of 21,000 pounds or less and can definitely be towed by ANY of today's 350/3500 DRW diesel trucks. They certainly do NOT need a Peterbuilt or equivalent to tow it!

Oh, and by the way, fulltime use is exactly what Bighorn and Landmark ARE built for...just like those on your "list".

Speedy

My understanding is the residential frig can be added to Big Horns and Big Countries if ordered. Regarding the "high end" 5ers being better built or heavier some of that is true but because of cost there are so few on the road and the companies that build them are barely getting by in this economy I would consider that as well over insulation.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
My understanding is the residential frig can be added to Big Horns and Big Countries if ordered. Regarding the "high end" 5ers being better built or heavier some of that is true but because of cost there are so few on the road and the companies that build them are barely getting by in this economy I would consider that as well over insulation.

Answer I got before ordering my BC was that residential reefer would not be available till late this year I believe but was not an option yet. Would have loved it but did not want to wait anymore. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speedy

Answer I got before ordering my BC was that residential reefer would not be available till late this year I believe but was not an option yet. Would have loved it but did not want to wait anymore./QUOTE]
Funny that it would only be available on the new Gateway and the Landmark but not a BH or BC. Only thing I didn't like about it was it used up to much pantry space.

pegmikef

Do these "residential" reefers run on gas? If not I guess boon docking is not an option unless you are somewhere you can run generators most of the time.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Do these "residential" reefers run on gas? If not I guess boon docking is not an option unless you are somewhere you can run generators most of the time.

No...these are true residential refrigerators. They come with a 1000 watt inverter for travel, you can add several batteries which can be charged with solar if you boondock.

Excellent point Speedy, and admittedly one I had not considered in my response. I had totally spaced out that one of primary reasons we had settled on Heartland to order our 5er from was customer service.