#2 Gray water tank discharges does not seem to be closing.

tljack

We have a 2 year old 2014 Bighorn 3570RS. When we set up this trip, upon removing the cap for the sewer hose I filled a 3 gallon paint bucket with gray water.

The valve handle feels like it is working correctly. I asked my wife to fill both sinks and then pull the plugs at the same time. I can hear water running out.

Does anyone know where the valve is located? I would like to see if it is working but do not relish taking the underbelly all the way down.

olcoon

I don't know for sure, but it's probably located near your axels, aft of the UDC. An easy and cheap fix is to install a valve on the end of your sewer pipe, and that way you won't have a gush of ugly liquid when you take the cap off. Here is a LINK to what I'm talking about. There are 2 kinds you can get. One you twist on like you do with the sewer hose, the other one is glued on. If you decide to get the twist on one, make sure the valve handle is pointed to the rear of your coach, so it won't fall off going down the road. I've had one on my rig for a while now.

tljack

Thanks for writing. I had just looked up that valve in the Good Sam catalog.
I want to get it fixed but that valve would also eliminate residual liquid when taking the cap off

olcoon

I'd like to get mine fixed also, but after 2 trips to the dealer while it was under warranty, and trying to fix it myself, I gave up. From what I have read on here, there are several people who have this problem, and they have put the valve on. Possibly there is some debris build-up from the kitchen sink that is stuck in the valve, and not allowing it to close all the way. The kitchen, and bathroom sink/shower drain into 2 separate tanks, so I wouldn't think anything would be in the one that drains the bathroom sink/shower, unless it's a soap, or hair build-up from the shower. I have replaced the valve for the black tank, and the valve & cable cost $75.00! From what I could find out, you can't just replace the valve, they are only sold with the valve & cable. At least that's all I could find. Good Luck!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'd like to get mine fixed also, but after 2 trips to the dealer while it was under warranty, and trying to fix it myself, I gave up. From what I have read on here, there are several people who have this problem, and they have put the valve on. Possibly there is some debris build-up from the kitchen sink that is stuck in the valve, and not allowing it to close all the way. The kitchen, and bathroom sink/shower drain into 2 separate tanks, so I wouldn't think anything would be in the one that drains the bathroom sink/shower, unless it's a soap, or hair build-up from the shower. I have replaced the valve for the black tank, and the valve & cable cost $75.00! From what I could find out, you can't just replace the valve, they are only sold with the valve & cable. At least that's all I could find. Good Luck!

I think that what is happening is that the drain valves are vibrating loose (open) while on the road.

I had that happen once on our old Heartland Trail Runner (was the black tank - nasty) and almost got me real good!

I bought one of these twist on valves for our new trailer for extra security.

89-8304.jpg

So far it is working good!

GOTTOYS

I don't know for sure, but it's probably located near your axels, aft of the UDC. An easy and cheap fix is to install a valve on the end of your sewer pipe, and that way you won't have a gush of ugly liquid when you take the cap off. Here is a LINK to what I'm talking about. There are 2 kinds you can get. One you twist on like you do with the sewer hose, the other one is glued on. If you decide to get the twist on one, make sure the valve handle is pointed to the rear of your coach, so it won't fall off going down the road. I've had one on my rig for a while now.
The first time I dumped I got the dreaded poop shower when I removed the cap on my sewer pipe. I've had a twist on valve ever since. Mine points toward the front and has never loosened or fallen of in thousands of miles. Should be standard equipment. Save my bacon when a gray tank valve stuck open also. Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have enough room where the handle on mine actually points up to the bottom of the trailer.

No worries about it working itself open.

blueoval

We have a 2 year old 2014 Bighorn 3570RS. When we set up this trip, upon removing the cap for the sewer hose I filled a 3 gallon paint bucket with gray water.

The valve handle feels like it is working correctly. I asked my wife to fill both sinks and then pull the plugs at the same time. I can hear water running out.

Does anyone know where the valve is located? I would like to see if it is working but do not relish taking the underbelly all the way down.

Your problem is in the cable not the valve, I would bet my last dollar that the cable is not installed correctly.

I just put a post about this problem is another thread on here.

Thread = Gray Tank Valves are very Stiff

hoefler

Just replaced both grey cable operated valves with Barker electric operated valves. Our front grey tank valve, bathroom, ha a 72" cable that would not close anymore, felt spongy for the last inch or so when trying to close.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just replaced both grey cable operated valves with Barker electric operated valves. Our front grey tank valve, bathroom, ha a 72" cable that would not close anymore, felt spongy for the last inch or so when trying to close.

Was that a DIY project? How difficult was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

The Barker unit attaches to the valve. I replaced the valves while I was in there. Pretty straight forward install, 4 bolts for the valve, attach a spacer to the valve rod, adjust clearance, attach actuator rod to spacer, run the wires to the control unit, hook up to a 12 volt source and ground it.

tljack

I put a Barker unit on my Bighorn. We moved to Helena Montana and are living in it until our house closes. Because it gets pretty cold here, I was concerned about my sewer pipe freezing. Ended up having the valve replaced and it is now fine.

Last edited: