20 amp AC?

Corndog

New North Trail owner. Wondering if I can run basic electric (lights and AC) off a single 20 amp circuit from the house. I don't want to fry any components and understand 30 amp is the norm.. Just trying to make due short term. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Bob

danemayer

Hi Corndog,

Congratulations on the new North Trail and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get answers as there's a friendly and helpful bunch of owners who are quick to reach out when you need help.

Most of your lights are probably running off the 12V DC system, which will get their power by way of the Power Converter which uses some 110V AC current. The Converter will consume some of your 20 amps running lights and keeping the battery charged, but you may be able to get away with also running the A/C unit. If the compressor happens to start up when the Power Converter hits its maximum, you could trip a breaker.

Two other considerations: you don't want an undersized extension cord, especially for a long run, and often "20 amp" outlets are really 15 amps, which might not be enough.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Depending on the size of your converter and the actual power required to use the AC, you could possibly run the A/C with the lights.

I would use the breaker box and shut off all AC circuit breakers including the converter. Leave the Air conditioner circuit breaker powered on.

When your light start to dim noticeably, turn off the Air conditioner breaker and turn the converter breaker on. This should charge your batteries without overloading your circuit.

Your convertor used to charge the batteries is probably 55 Amp @ 12 which uses around 6 amps of AC 120V power. Your air conditioner probably uses around 13 amps of AC power.

If you install a progressive electrical management system such as the EMS-HW30C you could check your power usage in real-time and prevent overloading and actually know how much AC power your using at any time.

We found the EMS to be particularly handy when we camp in the spring and fall as we used electric heaters to supplement the furnace when possible but frequently tripped breakers because we would forget about hidden power demand such as the electric water heater and the power converter.

After seeing how much each of those used, We could adjust our power usage easily and then not trip breakers as often.

Aside from using the ems as a amp meter, it did provide overall power protection from surges and many other electric faults that can occur.

GOTTOYS

I plug into a 20 amp circuit whenever I have my rig in the driveway. Normally I park it at a storage facility. I use a #12 extension cord that is 5o ft long. I don't run my A/C or any appliances and mainly use it to charge my batteries, run a fan or an occasional tv and a vacuum and maybe some power tools. Never had a problem....Don

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We've always plugged our trailers in to the garage circuit over the years . . .

Whenever the trailer is parked beside the house . . . it is plugged in to the house!

Never have tried to run the AC, but do run the other stuff in the trailer, plus the occasional electric heater.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The only time I've ever popped the breaker was once when I plugged my Sears Craftsman air compressor into the outside outlet on our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner (1st photo above) to top off the tires, it not only popped the garage circuit, but also the GFI outlet inside of the trailer.

Attachments

• CamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg
    CamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 185
  • ProwlerInYard-P1000054.jpg
    ProwlerInYard-P1000054.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 184

pegmikef

I always kept my NT hooked up to a dedicated 20 Amp circuit and could run everything in it (NOT simultaneously). I was able to run my 15K BTU A/C, but little else (a few lights and the reefer was about the limit). I do the same thing with my BH. I would like to have changed the breaker to 30 Amp, but the wire size is too small.

justafordguy

Be sure it's really a 20amp outlet and that nothing else in the house is on that circuit. Also run your 30 amp RV cord all the way to the outlet and convert it there to 20 amp plug. The large 30 amp cord will not have much volt/amp drop like a 20 amp cord will.

Bones

I would just recommend running 50 amp service to you driveway. where you plug in and then you have nothing to worry about. Probably about 200 bucks worth of supplies.

justafordguy

X2, I just installed a 50 amp plug when we upgraded to our Gateway a few months back. Now I have a 30 amp and a 50 amp. I have about $30 in parts from Amazon, already had some 6 ga wire.

Corndog

Thanks for the input! FYI with two lights, converter, and a 13.5 AC running we drew between 14.5 and 15 amps. My friend had an in-line gauge to measure current. For extended use at the house (man cave or sleep overs) recommend 30 amp service to allow for head room.

I appreciate the info as a new TT owner and will share on this board to help others as well.

Again, THANKS!!!

New North Trail owner. Wondering if I can run basic electric (lights and AC) off a single 20 amp circuit from the house. I don't want to fry any components and understand 30 amp is the norm.. Just trying to make due short term. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Bob