20" Wheel for Towing

pday1213

Ordering a new 2015 F350 SRW and it will come with LT275/65RR20E OWL All Terrain tires with the 20" wheel upgrades and the 3.55 locking axle limited slip. Any issues with the bed sitting too high for clearance problems with top of bed rails, versus going with 18" wheels? Thanks

Jim.Allison

Ditto, but you are going to get the DWR vs SRW debate as long as technology keeps making DRW less relevant. 3860 lbs tire rating is providing a max load at the ground of 7720 lbs. This is significant. The gap is closing quickly between the two trucks. The HD SRW are more stable than ever before. Hillside start, antilock braking, stability control, exhaust brake and all the other features that were non existent in an affordable truck just a few short years ago. Do the math if it works, buy it and don't look back...... Before you buy take a look at what you can tow with your non-commercial class C Tx drivers license.

I'm very aware it doesn't change the sticker on the door. However, in case I opt for the 2500 over the 3500 TV, my real concern would be rear tire failure and stability. I was assuming the shorter sidewall would let it handle a little better. If they have a higher weight load, the better. Since tire height is controlled by tire size, I would be getting the correct tire size recommended for the truck to maintain ride height. This wasn't posted to compare TV's. I know you can,t replace the DRW with a SRW and get the same stability. Just wondering about the best option if I go with the SRW. Thanks.

Gsxr130

Ordering a new 2015 F350 SRW and it will come with LT275/65RR20E OWL All Terrain tires with the 20" wheel upgrades and the 3.55 locking axle limited slip. Any issues with the bed sitting too high for clearance problems with top of bed rails, versus going with 18" wheels? Thanks

The 18" tires and 20" tires are really close is diameter so it won't make much difference In bed rail height.

Mr_Black

Just curious. If I opt for the Ram 2500 instead of the 3500, would the 20" wheel with the shorter sidewall be better for towing? Standard with 18" wheels. Thanks in advance.

I would quite simply opt for the wheel that is the least ugly regardless of size. Both are going to meet appropriate tow ratings.

The factory has of course done their homework.

I tow on aftermarket 20" wheels and E rated 35" tires and am well within my limits.

Jim.Allison

Which 18 inch tire has a higher load rating than a 20 inch? I need to know because I need to buy a set and would like to have 18 in tires that have a load rating of 3860 lbs.

When I ordered my 08 F350 the rating chart showed lower towing capacity with the 20" tires. I went with the 18" to have the higher capacity. Don't know about the Dodge.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My new truck (2015 Chevy 2500HD) came with 17" tires...

These tires are bad@$$...

NewTruck2500HDsm-IMG_20140822_202351380.jpg