2002 Duramax?

JeremyN

Guys,

Got a question for you. I know this is an older truck, but it looks like it is in real good shape. A guy close to me has a 2002 Silverado 2500HD crew cab Duramax for sale. It has 109,000 miles on it, and he is asking $11,500 for it. Is this a good deal? The truck looks in really good condition. I have attached a few pictures the guy sent me as well.

This would have been one of the early Duramax engines. Is there anything I would need to worry about?

00t0t_frl6YKMZdBZ_600x450[1].jpg00U0U_ez43OaD7shL_600x450[1].jpg00J0J_6CUY1cVkZzy_600x450[1].jpg

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
If it's clean (no wrecks) I would think it's a good deal. Might want to have a diesel mechanic check out the injectors and head gaskets. There was an issue (maybe even a recall) on some early 2000s. Check out the maintenance records and see what kind of fuel additive the owner was using also (injector issues).

If it's rock solid good, it's a good deal.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm not a guy, but I'll ask the question, "why do you need it?"

I'd check out the tow ratings, too, before buying. If you are thinking it can haul a 5ver in the future, you may be surprised at its limitations. Check out www.fifthwheetst.com for tow ratings and what to look for in a tow vehicle.

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

I have a 2001 duramax with 95000miles. Perhaps I am lucky but have only changed oil,fuel filter, shocks and tires. I would not sell mine for $11,500 so agree with invisatu if not wrecked and is otherwise in good condition seems like a good price. A new one will run $50,000 +

Lynn1130

Yes, check out the tow ratings and then if you are like most of us towing 5ers with Duramax just be aware of what those tow ratings are when you purchase the 5er. What it will pull and what it is rated for are two different things. The engines in the Duramax are some of the best on the market and the Allison transmission is just about bullet proof. That said there are some questions you should ask, besides having a good diesel mechanic look at it. The LB7, which is the engine in that year truck tends to have issues with injectors. That would not be a problem as all diesels have those problems. Unfortunately they made it difficult to change injectors in the LB7 and so it can cost near 4K to replace all of them. You want to know if/when they were replaced last. There is no mileage figure for replacement. The originals in mine went 50K miles and the replacements (done under warranty) went 25K. Some people go 250K and never have to touch them. Good fuel filtration and a lift pump go a long way toward happy injectors. BTW, my grandson's 02 is at 120K on the original injectors.

Most of the other "problems" with this vehicle are the same issues that you will find with any vehicle. DieselPlace.com and the first generation duramax section is a good place to browse but be aware that like here, generally those with problems post. There are thousands of LB7s out there with few problems.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
That's a nice looking truck. As you can see in my signature I have a 2003 2500HD 4x4 crew cab with about 140,000 miles. Things that I have had done on mine, front wheel bearings/hubs (about $450 ea. both done under warranty but need to replace another for bad wheel sensor), All fuel injectors and fuel lines (replaced under warranty, only one bad injector but local dealer really helped me out with this one). BTW the earlier 2000 models, GM extended the warranty on fuel injectors to 200,000 miles, something to look for. Instrument cluster replaced twice (under warranty) it would just go limp, no readings on anything. Other than those it has been oil and filter changes, brakes, air and fuel filters, batteries etc.

All-in-all this has been the best truck for us. Bought it new and plan on running it into the ground, hopefully many years from now. Regarding our Landmark, I would prefer a dually but this truck has been doing a great job.

Hope this helps and hope you things work out for you. As for the price, it seems pretty good but I would double check NADA, Kelly BB and Autotrader.

Mark

jayc

Legendary Member
I had an '02 GMC 2500 with the LB7 Duramax that I loved! I put an Edge tuner on it and was very pleased with the power and performance. I traded it in with 227,000 miles on it. I agree with the other posters that suggested to check CarFax for accidents and have a trusted diesel mechanic check the engine and it should be a good truck, given the capacity restrictions.

Sumo

I would jump all over that deal. I have an 2001 Duramax with 230,000 mile new injectors at 170,000. Love the truck.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
One other thing we just experienced (2004 GMC) was an issue with the transfer case. Seems to be a common GM truck problem, and there is a fix if you catch it early.

Lynn1130

Yes notice the "MA transfer case upgrade" in my signature. It is called "pump rub" and can be prevented with the mod I did. Not expensive and some have the problem and some do not. I just did some preventative maintenance.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Looks good and sounds like a fair deal. The injectors were the only issue with the LBZ motors. I think alot of it was bad fuel. I have never ever had injector issues with the 3 Duramax's I have owned. If you change the fuel filter every 12K miles and change the oil every 6K you should be good to go. Try to buy fuel at a heavily used station....a truck stop if you can. Their fuel will never be bad cause it does not sit in their tanks very long. If you buy it...use it...dont let it set. Worst thing can do to a diesel engine.

Lynn1130

The engine in the 2002 that he is looking at is an LB7.The LBZ did not come around until 2006.

There are two things that cause or at least increase the possibility of injector issues. Air and dirt. The best way to eliminate air in the fuel lines is a lift pump. Fuel is supplied via the CP3 (in a Duramax) that sucks fuel from the tank. If there is an air leak somewhere along the line it supplies air and fuel to the injectors. A lift pump at the tank pumps fuel forward and helps eliminate air issues at the fuel filter and filter head. Positive fuel flow with little or no air. The fuel filter setup that I have eliminated the $35 stock fuel filter and replaced it with a 5 micron Cat filter that filters more and better than the GM. That costs me $15 for a filter that works better.

Be sure of your fuel source, eliminate dirt and air and you have done about all you can do. Oh, and use some sort of diesel fuel additive. The current low sulfur fuel has little to no lubricant that was in the old diesel fuel and the injectors and engine need some lube. I posted the link to a lengthy study on lube and the reason it is needed. Do a search.

Last edited:

Miltp920

I bought a 2003 GMC 2500HD sierra duramax with 165,000 miles. The fuel injectors had all just been replaced. A friend of mine had a 2001 or 2002 duramax and he told me to expect fuel injector replacement at or near 175,000. Dealer charges about $5000. I had to replace my dash gauge cluster at about 168,000. $300. I hear dash gauges was another issue for the LB7s. I love my 2003. Glad the injectors were already done when I bought it. I paid $17,500, crew cab SLT, so $11,500 seems like a steal. The diesel motor adds $4000 - $5000 value in NADA. Mine clean retail is still $17500 NADA. Check out carguru.com and search for the year you are looking at. Good site to see what they are going for to compare. Good luck.

Lynn1130

Wish I had know about your dash cluster replacement issues. I would have had you send it to me and for $300 I would have sent it off to a place I know in Texas that repairs clusters for $125 and I would have kept the difference. :)
Getting the cluster out is no trick and if someone has this problem I can send the URL for the repair shop if you need the info. He replaces stepper motors and light bulbs at the same time. The newer stepper motors are much better than the original.