2004 ford F250 super duty

MFL

Does anyone know what is the best Airflow System for a Ford F250 6.0 diesel
also do you get more horsepower does it help to save fuel.
Thanks

jnbhobe

I did the zoodad mod to my trucks (search the diesel stop for zoodad modification for instructions and pictures) The factory filter is as good as it gets. I also put on an MBRP turbo back 4in exhaust. Its all worked good for me.

ricatic

It is well documented that the stock air filter and intake elbow are excellent as is. Independent testing has proven this. The exhaust mentioned above is a good investment. Here ia a post with the 6.0 history:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/15774-Some-information-on-the-Ford-6.0-engine-long-post

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I agree....stock is great, but not the best. I am one of the fools that fell for the oiled filters and nearly paid the price. Only problem is when I attempted to go back to factory I was a fool again and dumped the plastic box which is about $350. I went on a search and found a Donaldson system that even says Ford Powerstroke on it, come to find out it was sold by Ford for quite a long period. It is a true cold intake filter and designed for this engine........very impressive and filters about 300% better than stock and it ought to, the filters are $65 each but last a very long time. It comes with a box that is built for the area it sets in and a tube that brings in cold air from the front as did the original...........this is the same filter that protects military engines in the desert environments. I think this is about the best you can get for the Powerstroke engines.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
OH MAN STAY AWAY FROM THE ZOODAD.......IT IS NOT A COLD AIR INTAKE!!!!!!!!! Wthout a true cold air intake the power is reduced about 15%.............this in nothing more than an oiled filter with a bag over it..........Run away run away run away...........................do not even consider this type of filter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't think so....take an oil sample and have it tested and you will be amazed at the dirt in it!

jnbhobe

Rumaco; the zoodad mod is not a filter change. It is just the hole in the core support to let more air in the stock filter housing.

GOTTOYS

In my opinion..if all these simple modifications work so well.... why didn't the highly skilled engineers that designed this engine use these
things when they built the truck. I'm willing to bet that none of them do anything except make money for the guy that sells them...the
only way to get more horsepower will require using more fuel...pretty simple...Don

ricatic

I have been around the Ford 6.0 diesel engine block a few times. The air filter setup described above appears to be the stock air cleaner and intake boots from Ford. The blue Donaldson filter is what Ford uses as the stock filter. There was an independent comparison commissioned by one of the Ford truck owners forums. I do not recall which one. All the major players air filters and associated intake parts were evaluated for flow and particulate filtration. At rpm's below 3700, a much higher rpm than stock peak hp numbers are obtained, the stock filter assembly out flowed and out filtered every aftermarket system. When put on the dyno, the stock filter setup still was the best. I have never seen one credible test anywhere that contradicts these comparisons. However, you will find some advertisements that make that claim. Buyer beware. A free flowing exhaust will buy you a few horsepower, but more importantly, it will lower EGT's significantly. It also allows a little faster increase in turbo spooling rate. To the OP, the 6.0 forum at Ford Truck Enthusiasts is a great site to learn more about the 6.0 Ford diesel. It remains the most popular site out there. Here is the link:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/

Regards

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
The best thing you can do to the 6. Oh NO Ford is to leave it alone.

Or trade it in for a Dodge.:p

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
With 244k on my 04 6.0 the only mod I've done was a turbo back 4 inch exhaust with aftermarket mufler. This eliminated the smoke collector, resinator and the restrictive muffler. The turbo spins up faster and runs cooler. It will surprise the rice burners.