2005 dodge diesel headlight

albertr

I have a burned out headlight bulb on my 2005 dodge diesel. Just took a look. Does not look simple. Can someone tell me how to change the light bulb? Thanks...Al

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Al, I'm not sure on a Dodge but on a GM truck you have to remove the headlamp assembly. It should have halogen bulbs that just twist out of the lamp assembly and then unplug the connector. When you replace the bulb ...DO NOT put your fingers on the glass part of the bulb. Put the bulb in 1st and then reconnect the the plug. Hope someone with a Dodge chimes in.

hoefler

There are 3 bolts that you remove from the front. I think they are 10mm, you will need a 12" extension to get to them. look in your owner's manual, there is a diagram on how to remove the assembly. I had an 05 and had to change the bulb once, can't remember for sure. But I think there is one under the headlamp toward the outside of the truck and 2 you can get to with the hood up. While your at it, change both of them, the other usually isn't very far from blowing anyways. You can buy the a pair at a time cheaper than a single one.

ddodge

If you are replacing the left ( driver's side) headlight bulb, remove the fuse and relay box mounting bolts, disengage the box from the battery tray and slide it toward the engine to provide some room to work.
Rotate the lockring counterclockwise and then remove the headlight housing.
Disconnect the headlight bulb holder from the electrical connector.
remove and inspect it for cracks, tears.
Installation is in reverse.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Just drop the inter wheel well. The plastic piece inside the front wheel area, held in with a few 8mm screws. Comes out real easy, then the total area is open and easy to get to. Had my out a number of times, easy to get to the fuel filter and things on the side of the engine.

hoefler

Pulling the head light assembly out as describe in the owners manual is much simpler and quicker. Once you figure it out, you can change one in less than 5 minutes.