2006 Rally Recipes

jbeletti

One evening, we caravanned over to Henry and Carolyn Yoder's farm for an honest to goodness Amish dinner. What a treat that was. I had done this 2 years ago at another Yoder's who's place got shut down due to the rerouting of US 20 through his farm. So I knew we had to do it for this group.

Henry, Carolyn and family did not disappoint us. In fact, I believe it was Pat Helzerman (Wild Wind) who got us the recipe for that yummy cauliflower/broccoli salad plus a few more. Below is the salad recipe. I'll try to post the others later in the week unless someone does it here before me (please!). Here it is (thanks Pat!):

Cauliflower/Broccoli Salad
1 head iceberg lettuce (chopped about bite-size)
2 head broccoli (chopped)
2 head cauliflower (chopped very fine – nearly crumbly)
1 cup cheese (shredded) not sure what kind – looked white
Small amount onion (chopped fine)
Some real bacon bits (chopped very fine)

Dressing for salad:

2 cups Miracle Whip salad dressing
1 cup white granulated sugar

Mix sugar into Miracle Whip until dissolved. Refrigerate. Add to other salad ingredients just before serving.

Recipe courtesy of Carolyn Yoder, Yoder’s Banquets – Shipshewana, IN 02-Jun-2006

Last edited:

jbeletti

Gene Herzog - I'd like your recipe

Gene,

I hope you read this under Joseph's login or that Joseph will be reading this. Not sure what you call it but that dish you made with the odd-shaped macaroni and ground beef was great. I think that was yours :eek:

Can you please share the recipe with us?

Thanks,

Jim

phranc

Jim .. Thanks for the receipe ,, say, by chance , do you remember how much broccoli in in that salad ,, If I was guessing I'd say one head ,chopped fine like the cauliflower..

jbeletti

Hey phranc,

I see I left out broccoli altogether! Oops. Recipe calls for 2 head broccoli. Not sure what that means as I have never seen it before picked. Always see it in bunches at the store. I added it to the recipe above. Thanks for the heads up.

Jim

jcd8822

Joseph
Gene’s Goulash

• 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 medium onion (chopped)
  • ½ teaspoon chili powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 small can of petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup macaroni (your choice of shape)
  • optional – ½ to 1 cup grated cheese of choice
    • Add macaroni to pan of salted boiling water
      In a skillet, crumble and cook ground beef with chopped onions, chili powder and a bit of salt and pepper until beef is browned
    • Add small can of petite diced tomatoes to skillet and stir in

• Drain macaroni and add to skillet, gently mix in and serve

• Optional – If you prefer, pour entire skillet into a 9”x13” glass baking dish and top with grated cheese. Bake at 375 degrees until cheese is melted and beginning to brown

Recipe courtesy of Gene Herzog as served at 2006 Heartland Owners Rally

jcd8822

Joseph
Usually when you buy broccoli in the store it is bundled two or three heads together. I love my raw broccoli and now that we have that recipe I have a better way to eat it. I used to just chopped some up and spread it on the top of my salad.

phranc

:) Hi Jim.. Thanks for the receipe , Made the salad at home. Turned out pretty good . May become a staple for potluck events that we attend around here.. BUT... somehow it tasted better at Yoder's !!!

Wild Wind

Scrumtious Carrot Cake

FYI this is one I made for Potluck dinner , any ? please ask Pat

Carrot Cake

3 Cups shedded carrots
2 Cups All purpose flour
1 Cup grandulated sugar
1 Cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoos baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnom
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 eggs
1 1/2 Cups vegetable oil
1 Cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour two 9" round pans or one 9x13" baking pan. Set aside . In a large bowl, combine flour,grandulated sugar,brown sugar,baking powder,salt ,baking soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg . In small bowl ,beat eggs and oil . Add to flour mixture . Stir 300 strokes or mix with electric mixer on low speed until blended . Fold in carrots and chopped walnuts . Pour into prepared pans . Bake 25-30 minutes for round pans or approximately 45-50 minutes for 9x13" pan . ( Bake though,until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean ). Cool in pans or on rack 10 minutes. Turn out onto rack to cool completely . When cool,frost with standard cream cheece or buttercream frosting . Makes 8-10 sevings . ENJOY!

Wild Wind

Oven Baked Chicken

This is one we had at Carololyn Yoder's dinner in small cook booklet I purchased at farm it is bit different than any I have seen.

Oven Baked Chicken

8 pieces of cut up chicken
1 pkg og white crackers
1 T prsley flakes
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Crush the package of crackers. Add salt,pepper and parsley. Take skin off the chicken . Melt 1 stick of butter and coat with mixture of crackers,salt,pepper,parsley flakes. Put on greased pan ,single layered . Have oven preheated to 450 degrees . Bake at 450 for 15 minutes then reduce to 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

Dusty

Wow, Recipes,
I gotta try some of these. I tend to be the primary cook in our family so am always looking for good recipes to try.

One of my favorites to make, preferably in winter cuz the oven tends to heat the trailer up is Roast Pork.

I use a 2 or 3 pound pork roast
Lay roast on large piece of heavy duty foil and sprinkle with:

Salt and Pepper to taste ( i use lots)
Brisquet rub (any brand)
garlic powder
small amount of rib rub if available.
3-4 thinly sliced onion on top if desired.\

Sprinkle the spices liberally over all surfaces of roast and seal in the foil, leaving a little room for steam build up.
cook til internal temp of meat is about 170-175 degrees.
Save juices that collected in the foil for au jus, yummy

Dusty&Linda
Nora and Evie (border collies)