2008 Ford F450 6.4L Twin Turbo Big Horn 3600RL

timk

BluegrassMan said:
On the "regeneration" on the new diesels, I have a little over 900 mi. so far. I haven't yet noticed it regenerating, I know it had to at least once maybe twice. My chrome exhaust tips are clean "no soot". The process must work. Mileage still sucks though.
Thanks for the feedback. I've been toying with jumping ship, and trying out one of the new 450's. But one of the things that worries me is all of the new emissions stuff. Has your mileage been really bad.

christianson

I have 1400 miles on my 08 350 has not regenerated yet chrome pipe looks clean 800 miles pulling 3055 got 10.3 hope it dose better when I get some miles on have owned 4 deisels and takes about 10,000 miles before they start to give mileage. The 08 6.4 seems have more power than my 05 6.0 did.

BluegrassMan

Hi Christianson:
I just assumed that mine regened' itself by now, they told me at the Ford dealer that around 500 mi highway and maybe 350 city it would regenerate. Mine turned over 1000 mi today, I "thought" I heard a different sound in my exhaust system for a few minutes while towing today. My Lie O Meter said I was getting 7.8 mpg. Solo today it said 11.4. I'll just suffer through the break in, and hope for better (14-15) ? I get allot of compliments on it, makes me feel I didn't waste my money :)

Happy Campers

I know the manufactures have a lower gear ratio and that is hurting the fuel mileage,why can't they have something closer to the 3.73's .That would make a lot od sence to me.

BluegrassMan

Guy's:
I just picked up the new Diesel Power mag, it had an article on the 6.4 and the things you can do. There is a power module that you can play with for the 08's. There are things coming out that won't throw codes and are FED. OK. I know of a guy that put in a "cold air" filter in his 08' The oil in the K-N type filter gets sucked across the mass air flow sensor, then it's gone.....a Check engine light comes on. AFE filters don't have oil to damage the sensor.

egnors

I don't know if it's the same for the 6.4, but the stock Donaldson filter setup on the 6.0 is good for airflow up to about a 450-500 hp truck, and filters the dirt and small particles that get through a K&N and destroys your turbo. Dusted turbo vanes kill the boost, and cost quite a bit to fix, because it won't get covered on the warranty. I would imagine the stock setup for the 6.4 works just as good. If you're going to get a tuner, get an SCT custom job. They can tweak the tune to match the flash you're running and your driving style so you can get the most out of your truck to your liking.